Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lane discipline.......at the SWIMMING POOL!

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2003, 09:34 AM
Many Humbug Returns
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any keen swimmers here?

Are you frustrated by the following scenario too?

I m a member of the local David LLoyd club and use the pool 3x week. Theres 2 lanes dedicated to lanes swimminf, one labelled "FAST" the other "SLOW". Almost without fail there will be a slow person creeping along doing breaststroke in the Fast lane, when you arrive. That'sm not too bad but it was happens next that sorts the considerate from the inconsiderate. Usually when a faster swimmer joins the fast lane the etiquette means the slow person moves to the slow lane or at least allows the fast person through and past on the straight or pauses at the turn to let them past.

BUT NO, there are always those who insist on remaining and then not letting you past at the turns when you catch up, pushing off again in front of your nose. Then when you get fed up and power past they get all indignant about getting tossed about by the wake!

And the culprits are nearly always female and menopausal and overweight. No problems with men or younger women.

I wonder if the same demographic is over-represented in road lane discipline problems eg middle lane hogging?
Old 18 August 2003, 09:56 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Can't you just complain to the pool staff? They're there to make sure people use the correct lane. Pool police

Or are they setting gatsos by the side of the pool to catch speeding swimmers such as yourself?
Old 18 August 2003, 10:13 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

If they're using Gatsos, where is the registration plate attached to the swimmer

[Edited by dnb - 8/18/2003 10:14:31 AM]
Old 18 August 2003, 10:20 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is this thread serious ??? no it can't be !!
Old 18 August 2003, 10:23 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Angry

This "Lane Discipline" thing is far too complicated for your average arrogant self-centred ignorant bombastic self-righteous inconsiderate halfwit member of British society.
I've just got back from my local sports centre. It was supposed to be adult swim 8-9.30am. So what were 2 11yo's doing bombing each other across all 4 lanes (while their mother watched) at this time ? And then there was the congregation of pensioners across the entire width of the shallow end, chatting for 1.5hrs.
Still, had the jacuzzi to myself for a good 30mins.
Old 18 August 2003, 10:31 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Cool

average arrogant self-centred ignorant bombastic self-righteous inconsiderate halfwit member of British society.
Hehehe, made me laff anyway!!
Old 18 August 2003, 11:45 AM
Many Humbug Returns
Scooby Regular

Corradoboy's got it in one.

As for complaining to pool staff, it always feels like "telling teacher" and something that grown adults shouldn't need to do to resolve such petty isues.

Anyway it is me that the lane hoggers complain about to the staf when I lose patience and surge past leaving them choking on my wake!
Old 18 August 2003, 12:08 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] It's makes me [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]!

I swim at our local swimming pool every day during the week, nice and cheap at £1.30 with a staff discount They have 4 lanes - slow, medium, fast and fast crawl...needless to say I go in the medium and it just drives me mad...loads of people talking at one end so you can't actually turn around, lots of people moving slower than an half-dead tortoise... I don't overtake, I tend to turn around slighly before the end so I get in front of them...it annoys me as I know I'm not *quite* fast enough to go in the fast lane, but everyone uses the medium because they don't want to be labelled slow

What drives me mad more than anything is the backstroke people - NOO! The lane is TO NARROW, and you can't SWIM STRAIGHT! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I've ended up swimming on the wrong side to avoid people before and they always splash me

Oo - and the women who try to swim and keep their hair dry! lol! What muppets. If you're going to come swimming, you're going to get wet...simple really

Anyway, I've gone on far to long and it's not really that important...so I'm off swimming now

Jen
Old 18 August 2003, 12:23 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Thumbs down

Surely the worst bit is swimming into a warm patch
Old 18 August 2003, 12:26 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
humbug - I find that doing a length of backstroke (oh dear, I can't see where I am going) or a length of butterfly usually does the trick
Its usually middle aged women who don't want to ruin their makeup or hairdo and the 'speed' they go ISN'T going to make the slightest difference to their 'fitness'
Old 18 August 2003, 12:45 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

as an ex life guard.....tell the staff, i used to love saying to ppl "excuse me, we've had complaints you are to slow...please move lane"
Old 18 August 2003, 12:51 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Surely the second worst bit is swimming into a plaster
urrrggghhhh
Old 18 August 2003, 01:29 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Luckily I've yet to encounter a warm patch or a plaster

Went in the fast lane today and it was actually alot better (only one person doing back stroke ) I'll stick to that from now on
Old 18 August 2003, 02:00 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Bomb em first!
Old 18 August 2003, 02:08 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Wink

I find that the complainers stop moaning if you hold their heads under long enough. Sorted.