Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

You could get a bus through that gap...

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2003, 08:41 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
or maybe not. Some idiot bus driver has just side swiped MrsREV's Clio 2 days before our wedding. Frigging perfect, just what we needed as we weren't quite feeling stressed enough.

Apparently, she'd parked the car up, come back to it to find a note tucked under the windscreen saying "if you want to know what happened to your car, call me" and it was only then she noticed the scrape up one side.

On calling the number, it was a guy who'd witnessed the bus hit the car and he'd stopped the bus driver who replied "it's not that bad" and drove off. MrsREV went to the Police Station who issued her with a producer (is that normal?) and mumbled things about "failing to stop at the scene of an accident" etc. Well, apparently, some 5 hours after the incident, the bus driver has turned up at the cop shop and admitted everything, so now we'll just tell the insurance company to get on with it.

Unfortunately the damage is very light, I've been praying for the horrible little sh1tbox to get written off for about 3 years now (but without injuring MrsREV, of course )
Old 30 July 2003, 08:52 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Hope the stress levels are dropping a bit.

Producers in these circumstances aren't unusual. I've had one when my car was hit while parked and unattended(Plod had all the details of the other car). I guess it's just a way of checking that insurance, MoT and licence are in order.

Best wishes for Friday.

Doug
Old 30 July 2003, 08:54 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Oops, make that 3 days, hehehe, getting ahead of myself, thanks for the good thoughts, though
Old 30 July 2003, 08:58 PM
WISHING
Scooby Regular

Kick the wing and door in, that will write the car off.
I HATE BUS DRIVERS ........
Old 30 July 2003, 10:05 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Annoying innit?

I had a bus driver hit me, and he started moaning at me
Old 30 July 2003, 10:43 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Good luck for the wedding
Old 30 July 2003, 10:50 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Good luck for the wedding, and hope you get the car sorted.

Crush - if the bus driver hit you, I think that's assault
Old 30 July 2003, 10:59 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Angry

You were lucky my Mother was standing beside her parked car when it was hit by a bus she was so stunned she didn't get the registration but got the bus company name and time etc called the bus company and they said they didn't know who was driving that bus at that time on that route so called the Police who turned up a couple of days later and looked at the car and said just claim on your insurance and left it at that. so her no claims bonus is affected and the bus comapny get away with it.
Old 30 July 2003, 11:06 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Not wonderful timing is it?

Still, hopefully that's your share of disasters out of the way for the duration.

Top marks to the witness for leaving a note. If only everyone was so public spirited.

UB
Old 30 July 2003, 11:34 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Talking

Crush - if the bus driver hit you, I think that's assault
LOL! He hit my car, so I'll let it decide whether it wants to press charges or not

Long time no muppet, hows it going mate?
Old 30 July 2003, 11:48 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Adrian, a bus company should have company insurance. It shouldn't matter who was driving the bloody bus as it's not his personal insurance you'd be claiming on. Your mother should lean on her insurance company to claim from their insurer and consider threatening the bus company with legal action yourself. Is the repair cost less than the small claims court claim threshold? If so, your mother should be able to claim from them with very little cost to herself.

Also, I recently heard something very interesting from a solicitor who works on behalf of my insurers. We were discussing a case of mine that he will be taking to court soon, (a lorry driver drove a lorry into my car whilst I was almost stationary in traffic in December 2001, then denied liability), and he told me it's a shame that I wasn't injured in the accident as a personal injury claim sets the cost clock ticking immediately. My claim is well within the small claims court limit, so it's not going to cost the other insurance company much to try it on and argue it. Had the claim been larger, the costs involved would be a lot higher, so they are more likely to settle to avoid the risk of losing and being lumbered with costs as well. The more it is likely to cost them if they lose, the more likely they are to pay up.

Now, I'm not advocating claiming an injury when you have not been hurt, but it does seem a bit ****-about-face that doing so can mean that your claim gets settled faster and without going to court. And, of course, if it does go to court, it is possible the decision could go against you.

Edited to say that I would expect the police to be more interested as failing to stop at the scene of an accident is an offence. I'd be kicking up a bit of a stink, personally.

[Edited by TurboKitty - 7/30/2003 11:52:51 PM]
Old 31 July 2003, 12:00 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'd be kicking up a bit of a stink, personally.

nothing new there then...

only joshing

UB
Old 31 July 2003, 12:15 AM
normarker2
Scooby Regular

Know the feeling, got hit by a bus who actually had his hazard lights flashing at the time. Its illegal to move off with your hazard lights flashing as I understand it.
As you can imagine I lost my NCB, bus driver claimed it was my fault and was not prosecuted. My ins. co.s loss adjuster said it was not worth fighting. Gave up in the end, you cannot win if nobody can be bothered to argue.
As they say, life's a bitch, then you marry one.
Old 31 July 2003, 12:23 AM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Smile

nothing new there then...
No, nothing at all.

Seriously though, (IMO) too many people/companies are happy to get away with whatever they can, and the majority of people in this country seem to accept being treated like sh!te, being fobbed off and receiving bad service. If more people complained about rubbish services and poor treatment, more people/companies would realise they can't get away with it.

[Edited by TurboKitty - 7/31/2003 12:24:30 AM]
Old 31 July 2003, 01:41 AM
Dazza012
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

"called the bus company and they said they didn't know who was driving that bus at that time on that route"

If they received a NIP though they would soon find the driver.
Old 31 July 2003, 02:08 AM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I once complained to a bus company about a driver who had a 45 minute mobile 'phone conversation, (without a hands-free kit of any sort), whilst driving a double decker bus through a busy part of South London at a peak time. I got the registration number, the times and locations and a description of the driver, but I failed to get his badge number because he was not displaying it! The bus company told me that whilst it was totally against company policy for drivers to use mobile 'phones whilst driving, without the driver's badge number they would be unable to work out who it was.
Old 31 July 2003, 06:46 AM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

I complained to the MD of the local bus company after a bus had just missed me.

The MD (a Scottish bloke with a sense of humour) who I knew well, replied, "Shame you didn't get his number, I would have sacked the idiot for missing you!"
Old 31 July 2003, 07:33 AM
Billbill
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hehehe, at least there was a little humor to it.