Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2000, 12:57 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Howdy..

All Scoobys rattle....

Solution - Go to B&Q.. buy 10000 cans of that expandable foam stuff... open your window slightly, and squirt the stuff in through the gap... filling the inside of your car...

Problem solved..

J.
Old 30 January 2000, 09:49 AM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have an MY 99 with just 3000 miles and so many rattles and creaks from the interior that it is becoming unpleasant. I think that this could be due to having leather seats and door panels fitted so nothing fits together properly anymore. Has anyone else experienced this with leather? or is the standard trim as bad. Anybody managed to keep these under control? No suggestions to turn the radio up please.
Old 30 January 2000, 02:41 PM
HAPPY
Scooby Regular

i have a uk99 and can't hear any rattles!

maybe because i have replaced the awfull standard stereo with £1000 worth of nice stuff,and when thats not on my ears are tuned in to the milltek back box and piercross induction kit with dumpvalve venting to air!

rattles?

i know you said no stereo puns but it really does work!

[This message has been edited by HAPPY (edited 30-01-2000).]
Old 31 January 2000, 07:24 AM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I too have an MY99 and (until this weekend) had no "noise enhancing mods" fitted.

7K miles and not a squeak or a creak to speak of... no leather though either.

Paul L
Old 31 January 2000, 08:26 AM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply. I will start trying to soften the leather to stop the creaks and find out why the door panels twang a bit. Nice to know that rattle free to some extent may be possible. The car is fantastic otherwise so just trying to get closer to ideal. People considering leather should perhaps consider the affect it may have although I am sure that there must be loads of people out there with leather and no creaks/rattles. Still looks good though.
Old 31 January 2000, 05:00 PM
JDS
Scooby Regular

I have only done 1800 miles in my DBM MY99 and the squeaks and rattles are beginning to start - no leather either!

Regards,

James
Old 31 January 2000, 05:50 PM
Tommy
Scooby Regular

Angry

I've got leather in my MY 99, but I don't think it's responsible for my worst rattle which is in the rear pillars near the seat belt inertia reels. It only happens above about 70 mph which might be why the dealer has failed to fix it.
Old 31 January 2000, 06:14 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

That is interesting. My worst rattle is also from the rear pillar near the seat belt reel. This happens all the time and has since new. It looks like those who suggest a better radio/cd player may have the best idea.
Old 31 January 2000, 08:05 PM
HAPPY
Scooby Regular

just a suggestion,
if your rattles are in the rear, do yuo have rear seat passengers often.
i do (3 kids) and ny my99 does not rattle.
maybe a bit of weight in the back settles it all in.
could be talking out of my bottom but who knows!
Old 01 February 2000, 12:38 AM
xyzpaul
Scooby Regular

I get a fairly constant rattle from the centr pillar on the drivers side - right in my ear! I have an MY99 (no leather) and I'll ask the dealer to look at it during the 7.5K mile service. Also get less frequent rattles from near passengers airbag, and from sunroof, and near handbrake.

I find these rattles the most annoying feature of the car, especially as it's new.
Old 01 February 2000, 12:53 AM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

I also have the rattle right in my ear. This is not very loud but is very very annoying as it can not be covered no matter loud the radio is, this particular one is speed dependant. I am going to investigate all of them tonight to try to pin them down and sort them out.
Old 01 February 2000, 11:50 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

There are a load of cables going up through there on MY97 anyway, I found them when removing the seats for the speaker install. I had rattles there too, so I taped up all the loose leads and pipes (for the rear washer) and it rattles no more

My worst rattle comes from the sun visors and sunroof !! But does not bother me....one of those things that can drive you mad if you let it.....

Gethin

[This message has been edited by Gethin (edited 01-02-2000).]
Old 01 February 2000, 05:43 PM
AndyHidley
Scooby Newbie

I have a 2000 RS from the USA and it has that anoying rattle in the left door piller right in your ear. It did it from day one.. It may be the window squeaking on the rubber, maybe some silacone spray will help? maybe the rubber door stop against the body? Help.........................
Old 01 February 2000, 11:11 PM
lee_m
Scooby Regular

Got the dreaded rattles too. Girlfriend & others swear blind I'm imagining it. To me, the rear shelf/pillar maybe headlining too are squeaking just to annoy me.

Had Sunil take me for a (short) drive in my own car the other day. I jumped in the back to track down the offending trim - failed. Strange, as soon as I was a passenger and in a different seat I couldn't really "tune-in" to that annoying rattle.

Could be me sitting in the back does make a difference - I don't often have rear seat passengers.

Think it's one of those mind-f*** things. It'll get as annoying as you let it.

Someone posted earlier that loose cables might be the cause - I'll check it out. Other than that my "solutions" have been CD player for (almost) uninterrupted sounds and to crack the drivers window open a little so wind/road noise detract.

Sunil suggested cold weather might "shrink the plastics" which could be true - small comfort considering this country has a 4 week summer!

Annoying on a new car - the girlfriends Vreg Corsa seems better inside (only 400 miles though) but a darn sight cheaper. As everyone knows though - it ain't the interior you're paying for on Scoobs!

I reckon I could rip half the car apart trying to solve it - only to make it worse.

Reckon only solution is get a "much fabled" ScoobySport backbox and listen to that!

Lee

P.S. No leather, 6.5K MY99.
Old 02 February 2000, 12:01 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Bhort,

It should be possible to eliminate most of your rattles if you and your dealer are methodical and patient enough. I've not heard of rattles from the pillars though.

I've been in a couple of cars with uprated suspension which don't have any squeaks at all, so it must be possible. I discovered that I can fix my radio squeak by pulling the radio out slightly.

Cheers,

Alex

Have a look at these two threads for some good tips.
Old 02 February 2000, 08:10 AM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Which CD player did you get? Is it any good my radio started to rattle today as well
Old 02 February 2000, 02:20 PM
soutm
Scooby Regular

I found draught excluder (sticky backing) along the inside bottom of the doors cured mine.
Pull away the door trim from the white push fastners.
An excellent cure for me, now tracing the noise from behind the dashboard.
Any ideas on that one.
Old 02 February 2000, 02:27 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

I have gone out of my way to eliminate each rattle as it has occured.

The rear door pillar rattle you may find is actually the plug to the heated rear window. My last 2 Scoobs had this one and it was a bugger to find (thought it was seat belt or in the pillar for months). If it is this put a foam ear plug between the glass and the plug to stop it rattling on the spade connector.

With the radio I am about to use my mates cure of extracting it slightly, cutting more foam ear plugs to sit at each corner of the stereo so that when you push it home it has a foam cushion between the radio surround and its housing. You do have to cut the foam so it does not show obviously. I am told 'Blue Tack' will also do the job.

My door cure is a little more involved but will explain if anyone is interested.

Otis.
MY00 Rattle (and leather) free zone.
Old 02 February 2000, 05:59 PM
Tommy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I fixed my radio from squeaking by pulling it out, moving all the cables about and pushing it back in.

I'll have a look at my heated window connections tonight, Thanks
Old 03 February 2000, 11:31 PM
lee_m
Scooby Regular

I had rattle from head unit, simply removed and refitted and so far it hasn't returned.

I've been thinking about changing the front speakers and was going to Dynamat/foam pad at the same time - just to see if it helps.

AlexM thanks for the links to past posts re the foam. Questions though, (maybe to Lee) given that 1" foam sheet is such a tight fit, wouldn't 1/2" achieve the same with less chance of broken clips etc? Can you get 1/2" foam sheets? Foam & Dynamat, both or either?

I'm a bit paranoid of opening up the doors, breaking of lots of brittle plastic clips and actually making things worse. I had reckoned I'd just have to put up with things but Otis you sound like you've cracked it - I'm interested in your Door Cure!

Now that the motorbike is "wintering" - where did I put those ear plugs?

Old 04 February 2000, 12:55 AM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

<B>Fixing Annoying Rattles</B>

I have just spent the last hour trying to source the damn annoying rattle the appeared to be coming from the rear pillar of my type-R. Having partially removed the side rear pannel and rear seat and back, I opened and closed the door - as it makes the rattle then - rattle rattle rattle, and also when driving. It turned out that it was a single wire that was tapping against the shell. Taped it to the side and sealed everything back up - no rattle. Lovely.

Thank you for giving me the idea Otis - but it wasn't the windscreen heater, but I can see why that could rattle.

Q - the SSback box didnt solve it
Old 04 February 2000, 01:49 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Lee,

Do a search for an old thread by me called "The Cure For Those Annoying Rattles is..."

Worked for me twice now but see how you go on. I've never broken any bits or even come close to doing so, but the screws are sometimes a little stubborn.

Try your worst door first to see if it works.

Otis.
Old 06 February 2000, 01:44 AM
Dave Bullock
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

UK MY99 5 door Turbo, no leather, lots of rattles.
Main ones are, in order of annoyance, sunroof, Passenger seatbelt / door area, dashboard.
Also loads of tyre noise on the OE tyres.
Old 06 February 2000, 12:10 PM
lee_m
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Cheers Otis

I found the thread, all I need now is to find the time, hopefully tomorrow.

Lee
Old 07 February 2000, 12:52 AM
AndyHidley
Scooby Newbie

I've found one source of rattle, Look in the trunk on the left side there is a access panel for the jack. Reach inside there with your "left arm with 2 elbows", and there is a plastic/nylon tube about 1/2 inch (13 mm) in diameter that goes up twards the sunroof. Give it a wiggle and you can hear it hitting the door pillar at roof level.. Whats it for? My guess is a drain for the sunroof..