Sponsored by:

Mecanical Failure That could have given a serious crash

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2001, 03:54 PM
Low Flyer Maverick
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Did u experience one of those mecanical failure?

I did...steering...SCARY

I was driving quite "fun" on the snow in Brussel; it was the night...nobody in the town.

Coming to the end of a T , have to go left or right ; straight on is a tiny barrier than the bridge gap...

Choosing to go left ; steering to right to put it on slide ; I will come left in one seconds...KLONG...errrr Klong? How that Klong? Didnt touch anything...well anyway time to go left...uhhhhhh? said time to go left...no more steering! funny isnt it? Handbrake, prayer , movie of my life flashing , slow motion on my first time with a girl , BALANNNNG...stopped by the sidewalk...2 meters from the big jump ; 5 meters down thats the motorway...phewww

And you?
Old 23 May 2001, 04:00 PM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Cool

Riding in a car you're driving

Not really no, the worst I remember was an exhaust falling off... Noisy, but no other consequences.
Old 23 May 2001, 04:07 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

ive had a suspension bit fail on an astra...

caused the car to take a wider arc round the corner.

non-mechanical - my dads car went on fire... smoke filled the cabin VERY quickly..

car smelt of it forever.

Old 23 May 2001, 04:08 PM
Low Flyer Maverick
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Riding in a car I'm riding is no mechanical failure...its mental failure

Anyhow...at the trafficlight...Whenever you want!
Old 23 May 2001, 04:08 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I've had a couple...

Driving at 75 in the 2nd lane on a curved dual carriageway, my windscreen shattered (but remained intact) leaving me with zero forwards visibility. Had to carve up someone who wouldn't let me across to the left hand lane.

Driving at 80 in the 3rd lane of the M1, my engine blew up. This time had to carve up a juggernaut to get to the hard shoulder.

Maybe I should steer clear of the overtaking lanes...

Old 23 May 2001, 04:10 PM
Low Flyer Maverick
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Riding in a car i'm driving..its no mecanical failure...its mental failure

Anyhow...At the trafficlight...whenever you want !
Old 23 May 2001, 04:11 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Been in a mate's ratty Cavalier many years ago, doing about 75 on a motorway, rear nearside wheel comes off, we do fairly graceful but noisy 180 spin and stop in centre lane, *facing* oncoming traffic

Funny when I look back on it, but sheer bloody terror at the time.
Old 23 May 2001, 04:24 PM
bros
Scooby Regular

Ooh, I love this sort of thread!

I managed to get brake failure in my sad old Cavalier after a 20 mile drop through the Alps on hairpin bends near to Albertville.

The brakes were giving more and more fade, but just died at one point, despite me legpressing the pedal to the bulkhead. The combination of dropping to 1st gear, together with handbraking it into a bend (inexpertly, I overdid the slide and spun the car) brought me to a halt, but the brakes were shot for the next half an hour.

Smoke was pouring off them, and when I tried to move off some time later I found that the pads had somehow baked onto the discs.

Company cars, eh? If you ever come across L234ULB, don't touch it with a bargepole!

Bros
Old 23 May 2001, 04:24 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Not exactly mechanical failure...

Audi Quattro Turbo of 1984 era. Driving just north of Skipton, LCD dash (horrendous green thing) goes out. Slightly concerned, but suspected fuse blown.

About 10 mins later in heavy traffic, smoke coming out of vents. Smells very electrical... Look for escape route out of traffic, to pull over rip out back seat to access battery....

Spotted a lane entrance few hundred yards ahead. Drove down wrong side of queued traffic with passion (panic) Pulled in slip road....Yanked on handbrake, switched off ignition and screeched to a halt.

Passenger had already opened door and thrown out seat squab by the time i'd stopped. Battery connectors rived off.

Some strange looks from those I'd rocketed past ~ until they saw the smoke filled car.

Expensive LCD dash replacement unit

Mark
Old 24 May 2001, 01:51 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jerome:
<B>I've had a couple...

...my windscreen shattered (but remained intact) leaving me with zero forwards visibility.
[/quote]

This is scary. Had this happen on a country road in a mini. Managed to fix the dents in the bodywork using a hammer...

Also had a brake pedal break off in the same car. Sold it for scrap the next day
Old 24 May 2001, 02:05 PM
BillyW
Scooby Regular

On a 306 I had the rear passenger side wheel fall off whilst overtaking at 80 on a motorway, think it got trapped in the arch somehow as it didn't go it's own way until I was almost stopped.. it's quite comical seeing your own wheel overtake you...
Old 24 May 2001, 02:05 PM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

A friend of mine has a modified Fiesta XR2i and while going round a roundabout at a fair rate one of the rear shocks seized causing the back to come round.He ended up nose first in a post. He was Ok but the car looked unwell.

Apparently it was interesting driving it to the garage to get it fixed as the back kept jumping all over the place.
Old 24 May 2001, 02:13 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I had a more domestic related near miss recently

I was opening a jar of strawberry jam, the jar slipped and fell on the floor shatttering. When clearing it up i discovered little shards of glass mixed in with the jam!

Thank God i dropped it - that was a near miss!

I'll get my coat.....
Old 24 May 2001, 11:49 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Paul,

how luchkky was that !!

(NB Those of you who work in the afternoon instead of listening to Mark and Lard on Radio 1 will not understand that last remark).
Old 25 May 2001, 08:43 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

TR7V8

Exiting a roundabout, when one of the rear trailing arms sheared its mount and the live rear-axle did whatever it wanted to do...

...Meaning sending me "Dukes of Hazzard" stylee jumping over the pavement and down a steep embankment.

At least the mess of the axle span the car around then, and I went backwards through a big fence and ended stuck in a hawthorn tree.

Two days before Xmas a few years ago.