Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Contact Lenses...

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2003, 05:15 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am going to try contact lenses later this week. I tried them years ago but din't do too well. However, the big attraction is that I can throw them away at the end of each day instead of cleaning them and all that messing about. Anyone got any useful advice ? Am a tad worried about actually fitting them but will give it my best shot !

[Edited by Apparition - 7/21/2003 5:16:53 PM]
Old 21 July 2003, 05:17 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Don't panic if you can't put them in/out at first attempt. I had to go back to my opticians on 4 consecutive weeks before I could get the buggers out properly (they won't let you have them until you can prove youcan handle them). I now have no problems at all and enjoy wearing lenses.
Old 21 July 2003, 05:24 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Use the monthly ones.

You put them in and leave them in for 30 days. They are fecking great.

Old 21 July 2003, 08:47 PM
Red Scooby widdow
Scooby Regular

Thanks Peoples, I'll take all that onboard !
Old 23 July 2003, 09:33 AM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Those continuous wear monthly ones are really good, if more expensive then the others. I mostly use monthly disposables - take out each night & clean, which are fine.
Getting them in can be a right pain in the *rse to start with, as can getting them out - just persist with it, & it gets a lot easier. Usually end up poking yourself in the eye about 15 times a morning just to get them in, only to find it's the wrong way out, or folded over, or something....

Give it a month or so.
Have fun!
Old 23 July 2003, 10:13 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I use daily disposables and they are great...throwing them away every day means they are always clean and it must be healthier for your eyes (in terms of oxegen starvation and cleanliness) than any other approach.
I tried 3 brands, each is slightly different so you should experiment unless the first brand you try is 'spot on'
Rgds
chuck
Old 23 July 2003, 12:04 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

I use the monthly disposables, got off to a bad start, when you get them, they give you a programe working up from 2 hrs, 4, 6, 8, 10...... Well I went to the opticians at 9.00am, put them in, go to work, finish work, go to pub after pub finally arriving home at 3.00am. Take them out, get up in the morning, put them back in (takes half an hour - streaming red eyes) quite unconfortable for a while so took them out.
I found I had so much trouble putting them in that I tended not to wear them during the week and just put them in if I was going out. Consequently I never got used to putting them in and when I did they were quite unconfortable.
I finally got used to them when I went on holiday, plenty of time in the mornings, if your not rushing its quicker bought some cool sunglasses as an added insentive to wear the lenses.
After 10 days it was so good I forgot my glasses and left them in Spain, they took another week to get back, so I was stuck.
I really like them now, though I am always aware that they are there and when I ride my bike at speed they seem to flap against my eyeballs which is a bit weird, (even with sunglasses)

I asked about the 30 day 24 hr ones and they are only available for short sight aparently, though they should be available in the next couple of years.

I may have the laser treatment in future but want to wait a few years to make sure there are no side effects.

Good luck with the lenses, it does just take practice and its easier if you dry your finger that you are putting them in with as they don't seem to stick so much. Also if your doing it over the sink, put the plug in you will drop them occasionally.

Cheers
Andy
Old 23 July 2003, 12:09 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

I would recommend the "leave them in" 30 day ones as well. My eyes have been fine since I had them and I've only had a couple of sore days when I had hayfever. I was too cackhanded to use the daily disposables and was scared of lasers so they seemed the best bet. Think I pay £26 a month from Specsavers.