Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Abdominal exercises

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2003, 01:20 PM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking to tone up for the summer and get that long awaited for 6 pack (no not the beers). Sit ups seem to be working on the higher abdominal muscles, but what works the lower abdominal and stomach area?
Old 15 July 2003, 01:28 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

nothing....to late...summers here now and you is fat!

start in december and you may be ready for next yr
Old 15 July 2003, 01:31 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Steve, always a difficult area to reach. When you're doing your *crunches* (NOT sit-ups, they're really hard on your lower back), make sure you do lots of twisting ones, and really try to concentrate on using your lower abs as much as possible.

The exercise which actually isolates the lower abs is hanging leg raises. Most people have to keep their knees bent to be able to raise their thighs to their stomachs, but if you do them long enough, you might be able to keep your legs straighter to add resistance.

A compound exercise which works abs well is seated cable rows. Don't use a lot of weight, and again concentrate on using your abs rather than your lats.

And finally, don't forget that you can't "spot reduce" past a certain point. You'll need an overall diet regime to reduce your bodyfat levels, which will benefit your abs region too of course.

Hope this helps.

[Edited by TelBoy - 7/15/2003 1:32:24 PM]
Old 15 July 2003, 02:30 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

Talking

The Ultimate Stomach Work Out!

Called 600s this is what army guys use for Abs.

Done in sets, you dont stop do 30 reps completely round the exercises then 20reps then 10 reps.

1) Toe touches, lie with feet in air and touch toes
2) Sit ups - Run hands along legs until just curled over knees then repeat
3) Sides - One leg curled with foot on your other knee, right elbow to left knee which is curled on right leg and repeat for other leg, elbow must touch knee
4) Heel touches - touch a heel with same hand rotating torso fast, both sides counts as one.
5) Crunches
6) V-sits - lie with legs completely flat out, bring a leg up completely straight to 90 degree in air while you hands touch it on upper part of shin.
7) Reverse sits, bring knees to ur chest while keeping chest and shoulders on ground then thrust knees into air, exercises stomach muscles in reverse.

REPEAT for 20 and 10 reps

Note: Some exercises are easier to allow resting and idea is based on over-work principle. Used extensively in martial arts and the military for working abs.

Always work the back using dorsal raises etc when exercising abs, they are a pair, hence work together!
Old 15 July 2003, 09:34 PM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips.
How long before I should start seeing some improvement?
Old 16 July 2003, 08:43 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Question

so what's the difference between sit-ups and crunches? I started doing sit-ups last week and my back is feckin killin me
Old 16 July 2003, 09:25 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

PC - hopefully that wasn't a qualified fitness instructor who told you to do sit-ups? I hope not, they're potentially very dangerous.

The best way to do crunches is to lie flat on the floor, with your knees bent at 45 degrees. Then lift your torso as far up as you can, consciously "crunching" your abs as you do so. Like all exercise, the effectiveness relys a lot on the concentration. Feel every repetition - doing 100 reps for the sake of it is nowhere near as good as doing 25 quality reps. Intensity is the key.

Some people find putting their legs over a bench easier, as it keeps you in place on the floor better - worth a try. Or with your feet jammed up against a wall, also try that. And as a final variation, hands behind your head, if you find it too easy!

Steve - it depends what you're doing as well as your exercises, and what you define as "seeing" some improvement. If you're doing cardio stuff as well, you'll notice an improvement in your aerobic abilities quite soon. If you're dieting, you should see a difference in the mirror within a few weeks.

But don't get hung up on "instant" results. The old adage, that the longer it takes to get to a certain physical state, the longer you'll keep it and the easier it will be to get back to that state, is absolutely true.
Old 16 July 2003, 09:33 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I just realise, i didn't actually answer your question PC.

The main difference between sit-ups and crunches is the range of motion. People have been indoctrinated to believe that you have to go all the way back, and all the way forward, to get results. Wrong! The abs don't work like that. A small range of motion, such as with crunches, is much more intense, and therefore effective, and doesn't strain the lower back.

The problem is, that some people don't believe that such a "cramped" exercise can be any good, so they bang away at these sit up things. Trust me - crunches, side lifts and upright bar twists will get you all the ab definition you can handle, providing your diet allows it!
Old 16 July 2003, 09:41 AM
ChrisB

I do my crunches at the gym with the help of a cradle.

I'd presume that helps you keep the right posture? Or, as the saying goes, is presumption the mother of all...
Old 16 July 2003, 09:47 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

They're very good Chris, although i've only used one a few times. Have you tried "standard" crunches though? I still reckon they're the most effective means to good abs, and i've tried most things in my time!
Old 16 July 2003, 09:57 AM
ChrisB

Not tried 'manual' ones TBH Tel.

I'll try doing some of my sets with the cradle but try one set of 20 without it to see how I get on.

Cheers
Old 16 July 2003, 12:45 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Cant believe that only Telboy has touched on diet.
Everyone has abs - they are there believe me.
To see them you need exercise & diet. Train teh abs all you like but you aint gonna see them if they are covered by a layer of fat !
Agree with all the above on exercise but remember 3 things.

1) If you cant see your abs despite training its because you need to lose fat in that area - so lots of cardio & alter diet.
2) Abs are the most common "over exercised" muscle group. Many people do hundreds of reps & sets etc to work them. Think of their size - its a smaller muscle group than your back & you wouldn't do 200 pull downs would you ?

3) People forget that Abs (like many other muscle groups) get a secondary workout when doing other exercises. So work them last when they will be part worked & nice & warm.

Ro.
Old 16 July 2003, 01:30 PM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

I'm generally in pretty good shape, and I wouldn't had said I was fat. I normally play squash, and during the football season, football 3 or 4 times a week.
I was looking more for some exercises that I could do on a daily basis to help keep trim and to tone.
I normally do sit ups on a daily basis, but from the info now given will change to crunches.