Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Almost standard MY00

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2002, 09:42 PM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exercised my new camera on my Turbo - standard except for colour coded sill & rear spats, different Potenzas with rim protectors making them look fat, & fat Scoobysport back box. Pictures taken straight after a marathon clean & polish. ( I hope this lot uploads....)

[Edited by Tim Caddick - 8/6/2002 9:44:34 PM]
Old 06 August 2002, 09:54 PM
HAPPY
Scooby Regular

you have got a big back garden!!!!!!!!!!

where bouts in swindon are you?

pete
Old 06 August 2002, 10:57 PM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Over near Shaw. That lawn looks posh, but it takes frickin' hours to cut!
Old 07 August 2002, 03:08 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Looks just like my car, only cleaner! Thinking of getting a Scoobysport backbox for mine too, would you recommend it? Is it just a noise thing or can you notice any performance differences?

G
Old 07 August 2002, 03:36 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Yes I would recommend it, yes it makes a hell of a noise, yes it's worth it and yes you would notice a difference.
Old 07 August 2002, 05:02 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Cheers Wurzel. Sorry to hijack the thread but (final question!) would you recommend Scoobysport fit it, or my Local Subaru dealer (or is it so easy that a Joey like me could do it?)..
Old 07 August 2002, 09:58 PM
Bryan Allman
Scooby Regular

Cool

That looks very much like my old car - does the reg end in BHG ?? If so, great car - went well - and looking very good now. If not -well, your's still looks good.
Old 08 August 2002, 10:24 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Greg, it is purely upto you after all it is only a back box, if you have the right gaskets then you can do it yourself but If you want to pass the blame onto someone else if something should go wrong then get either of the other ones to do it, but if you fancy a trip down to visit Scoobysport then they are just as good a team to fit it and answer any other queries you might have at the time, you will also be in the right place for Pete to part you from your money for a new panel filter, downpipe, brake hoses etc etc
Old 08 August 2002, 01:03 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Wurzel. Think I'll pay them a visit!

Greg
Old 08 August 2002, 09:47 PM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner fellas.

GREGJD - Yes, I would recommend the Scoobysport backbox. I personally bought it for the noise, as I wanted something more appropriate to a car with this much performance. I love the sound of TVRs, and this is the nearest I think you could get, especially with the windows down! Sad, I know, but even 6 months on from getting it fitted, I still enjoy turning the stereo off, winding all the windows down & nailing it! It makes me goosepimply just at the thought! It's also a looks thing. Performance wise, it doesn't feel like it makes a huge difference, except that instead of feeling the boost coming on from 2250 rpm, it seems to come on from 2800 rpm, so get those revs up if you want a clean & snappy pull-away. As far as fitting went, I thought about fitting it myself, & some helpful chap from this site gave me the details & photos of how to do it - it would have cost me £30 in tools & sweat, so I chickened out & got a local reputable exhaust fitter to do the job. It took 10 minutes & £40. Yes, I probably got "done", but I trust these guys.

BRYAN ALLMAN - No, the reg doesn't end in BHG. Thanks for the compliment.

The car lookds better in the flesh - I used a polarising filter to take the pictures with, to cut out the reflection so you could see into the car, but it also darkens things making it look black. The last pic is the truest one.
Old 08 August 2002, 09:50 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

mate get a downpipe too! definately worth it!
Old 08 August 2002, 10:04 PM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'd love to, but the wife's going to university full-time next month. I might even have to get rid of it if money gets really tight!
Old 09 August 2002, 12:30 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
HK
what is the true difference with the downpipe, Ive been running mine with a SS back box and an ITG filter for over 50000 miles and the difference was really noticable, but ive been putting off getting the down pipe for about 18 months, can you explain in laymans terms what the benefits are, im not interested in all the stats i just want to know what the driver gets out of it, if you could oblige it may make me finally get it done !!

Cheers

Dave
Old 09 August 2002, 12:05 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

If you compare the standard catted pipe to the decatted pipe you will notice that the catted pipe is constricted as it comes out of the turbo to 60% ish, then there is the cat blockage aswell, the decatted pipe is full 100% the same size as the turbo outlet and doesn't have the cat blockage, therefore more room for the engine to breath and yes the turbo does spin up a lot easier and it also sounds better, you will notice a difference, I did when I changed mine.
Old 09 August 2002, 12:19 PM
ChrisB

Yup, Downpipe's rock.

Everything get's fun about 500rpm lower down, more noise and whistling. Sweet
Old 09 August 2002, 03:14 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Tim. I'm even more convinced I need one now! Does fitting a backbox make much / any difference to your insurance group / premium?
Old 09 August 2002, 05:01 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the replies re the DP guys

I think I will save it until I finally get the ***** to ask the Bank manager for an £8K loan for a new age WRX, trouble is I've had 4 great years out of my MY98 and after 77000 miles of pure pleasure and no problems unless u call having to replace two side light bulbs and two rear light bulbs problems

Im finding it hard to justify moving on, the only thing that makes me consider changing is recouping some money on the 98 before its worthless, decisions decisions

Dave
Old 09 August 2002, 10:21 PM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

Smile

GREGJD - Ah . . I forgot to mention that, didn't I?! Well, I'm sure there are some ruffians out there who have omitted to inform their insurer, but I couldn't do that - especially with insurers doing their utmost to wriggle out of paying-up anyway. I'm with Direct Line, and they charged me an extra £75 (per year) for the honour of having the backbox. It pissed me off at the time, but I'd already had it fitted. Praise God for inventing paying by instalments!
Old 08 September 2002, 07:04 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Funkii Munkii,

I'm no authority on performance tuning, but I believe having a downpipe fitted (thus removing the front Cat) allows the turbo to spin up much faster - hence more instant and available torque/power!

Anyone know for sure? Please correct me if I'm wrong, although my car does seem to fly towards the limiter quicker now!

Cheers,

Kev

[Edited by K9VYN [Kevin W] - 8/9/2002 5:16:54 PM]