Old Dodderers

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2003, 04:26 PM
Dirtboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Help.

My wife and 6 week old son were broad-sided by an old dodderer in a metro. Does anyone know if I have the right to insist on her taking an eye test??

Cheers

Dirtboy
Old 22 May 2003, 04:27 PM
Dirtboy
Scooby Regular

Sorry should have said " can I insist on the old bird " and not my wife taking an eye test
Old 22 May 2003, 04:32 PM
Mr Gee
Scooby Regular

Dirtboy

If she's admiting liability then leave it be. If, however, she is blaming you, then get her to take an eye test and get her off the road for good if she fails it !
Old 22 May 2003, 04:47 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

How old roughly? They'll probably just take her license away if she's that old.

Some stupid old lady ran into the side of one of our wagons at work, bending her front wing and not damaging the lorry at all. She couldn't get away fast enough, Infact she nearly ran over the guy who was almost under her wheel trying to pull the arch back out for her. Ban the lot of them!!!!
Old 22 May 2003, 04:48 PM
Dirtboy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Nice one for the quick reply. She admitted responsibility when it happenned the got back to the care home she lives in and the manager (a bloke) called my wife a is now saying that she has not admitted liability and that my wife is at fault!! I have kust called the local rozzers and reported him for harassment but I am going to take the old dodderer to the cleaners. MAybe her policy will double following a claim and she will have to pay about Ł20 a year instead...got it pi**es me off.

ANy more tips on how we stand and how I can get her eye tested.

Old 22 May 2003, 04:51 PM
Dirtboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sorry about the spellings, I am just to chuffing angry to think.

ANy boys in blue on here that can advise me of our rights

Old 22 May 2003, 05:02 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Angry

Fookin cheek.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] What does it have to do with him?!? Declare war mate.

UB
Old 22 May 2003, 05:02 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

why did you report the manager for harrasment seems hes a go between trying to help

sounds like your going to cause him a whole heap of trouble

i think you deserve to lose the case if it goes to court

just my view anyway
Old 22 May 2003, 05:12 PM
Dirtboy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Wakeboarder

My wife is still highly emotional and very protective over our young son, and neither of us take kindly to someone who is toatlly un-related to the senario sounding off and swearing down the phone. If I had my way I'd string the bas**rd up.

Okay I admit there is a problem however it does not warrant abusive language at any time, especially the condition my wife is in after such a big change to her body, I take it you have no children, just my view mate

Old 22 May 2003, 05:17 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

aaagh you never said he was abusive point taken

2 boys aged 7 years an the other 4 months
Old 23 May 2003, 12:04 AM
Dirtboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sorry if i wasn't clear but I was pretty revved up.

He's getting a visit Friday am..
Old 23 May 2003, 12:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You didn't actually explain how the accident occurred, so we can't tell if it was the elderly lady's fault or your wife's.

I bet the elderly lady was a bit shook up too. Must be quite a shock to an old person as well!

Just my view of course

Les
Old 23 May 2003, 01:10 PM
davy1
Scooby Regular

Angry

BAN THE LOT OV EM.

A long time ago,some old git knocked me off me bike,simply waited for me to get within striking distance,and pulled out rite in front of me.Luckily a couple of minutes later,a rozzer van went passed and stopped.Apparently the Santa Clause lookalike,said it was my fault,because I had "L"Plates on.Theres me with a fractured shoulder and a busted thumb.I subsequently found out from the Police,the fekin old crinkly was 93 years old and could not see a fukin thing,also found out his license was promptly removed from his person.

Dont get me wrong,some oldun's are competent drivers,but most are a fekin liability.
Just my view!!!!
Old 23 May 2003, 01:45 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

sorry to sound like a ****, but are no NOT supposed to accept liabilty atthe scene of an accident regardless.....

thought thats what the police/insurance/sketchy diagrams/descriptions are for.

i do sympathise with you, having a little 'un myself (no jokes!)

the old coffin-dodger will be dead soon, just hope the claim goes through quick!!!

as for the **** at the home, he's just sucking up to her to get her money when she snuffs it!!! - tell him that from me, while you're down there!!!

good luck mate, and wishes to the wife a kiddy.

BB
Old 24 May 2003, 12:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Dirt Boy,

Sorry your wife had to put up with the unpleasant phone call, we had that once and I understand how you feel. I hope you manage to embarrass him severely when you see him. Don't hit him though!

I have to say that it is disappointing to see how some lay into elderly people. Yes we all find it frustrating to follow someone driving more slowly than we would like because the slow driver is staying within his own limits. And of course sometimes they don't see you as easily as they used to be able to. Most of the older drivers are more thoughtful about others though. You dont often see one coming the other way round a blind bend at speed understeering onto your side of the road due to their inexperience and recklessness. Or overtaking where they really should not be due to sheer impatience, or just full of road rage!

Where older drivers are concerned, we can easily make allowances for them, I am a biker too and always find it is worth driving defensively when approaching T Junctions etc. I have had just as many younger drivers miss seeing me too and nearly knock me off the 'bike. We also have to remember that the primary purpose of the roads is to allow people to travel around. Public transport is a joke, especially away from the cities, and elderly people need to be able to get from place to place. Don't mention taxis, they are expensive and often not obtainable anyway.

Finally, it shows poor character to mock older people because their faculties are not what they used to be. In fact I often find people do that sort of thing to detract attention from their own failings. We should all remember that none of us can beat the eventual onset of old age and what it brings. I am prepared to lays odds that when you are all approaching the age of 70 or so that you will have a totally different outlook on these things.

Les, with a flamesuit!

rotten spelling again!

[Edited by Leslie - 5/24/2003 6:20:51 PM]
Old 24 May 2003, 12:26 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

well said leslie - it will happen to all of us.

so if you lot make it to 93 and still want to drive will you just say to yourself "oh, i'm too old and blind i better stop driving?"

steven - been hit on a roundabout by an elderly gentleman (and at least he admited liability and didn't cause me any grief!)
Old 24 May 2003, 12:30 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

dirtboy - chill matey, you do anything silly and it'll be you that ends up in court.

Without knowing the details, it sounds like the other driver admitted liability at the scene, told the manager what happened, who told them never to admit liability. Old person to afraid/shaken up to ring you so manager does instead.
How the conversation went between you and the mgr I don't know, so can't comment although I have a feeling their reaction may not have been unprovoked

Let the police/authorities do their jobs, if this person really shouldn't be driving then they won't be for much longer.