Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Health assessments

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2003, 11:58 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

We all service and MOT our Scoobs (and other makes of course ) regularly but what about our bodies?

Has anyone on here had a full health assesment? I know the likes of BUPA do them but are there any other options? Can your GP do one for example?

FYI BUPA premier health assessment is around £500. Not sure what that equates to with Scoob servicing costs .
Old 18 May 2003, 07:50 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

lol, my health is screwed, I dont need to pay some egg-head to tell me that!
Old 18 May 2003, 07:52 PM
ChrisB

I have assements down at the gym. Blood pressure, resting heard rate, body fat % and a few other bits.

Good to know I'm much fitter than the average 'joe'
Old 18 May 2003, 07:56 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

ChrisB

ha ha ha ha

I'm less fitter than the average Joe, but a lot better looking
Old 18 May 2003, 08:12 PM
ChrisB

Like I'm going to argue mate?
Old 20 May 2003, 08:42 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

You pay BUPA 500 notes and they repay you by droping your pants and sticking a finger up your bum.... (So I've been told)

EEEEKKKKKK
Old 20 May 2003, 08:50 AM
Corpulent Tosser
Scooby Regular

Regular offshore medicals continually confirm that I am overweight, I pay to find out what Mrs Tosser tells me for nothing ?
Old 20 May 2003, 10:41 AM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I had one at my dodctors a while ago,only involded blood pressure and lung capacity though.Lasted about 15 mins.
For all this talk of prevention when i went in and requested it they werent very welcoming.
I wouldn't mind a total assessment tbh.If there's anything wrong i'd like to know.
Old 20 May 2003, 12:20 PM
yoza
BANNED

Ive hade two in the last two years,one to pass for a new job involving,lung capacity,blood pressure,weight,blood test,eye test including colour and distance perception,hearing test,and urine sample.I dont know what they were looking for but it was a bit over the top for a job acceptance medical,it wasnt as though I was getting a job as an astronaut........oh,and yes I passed and got the job.

And one for when I was joining a new gym,which was less in depth.

Is it just me,or do people find it difficult to pee on demand,I was there for ages(4 hours)waiting and drinking water by the gallon.
Old 20 May 2003, 06:45 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I had an assessment 18 months ago via http://www.healthscreening.org.uk, 'cos the Sunday Times had a GBP100 off voucher (and i think that they are doing a similar thing again).

The results suggested that it appears that i weigh too much, and drink too much

mb
Old 20 May 2003, 07:47 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Was at the GP on Monday for glucose tolerance results. While I was there mentioned BUPA assessments to the nurse. "Very good, test everything" she said "but since you're here let's have some blood for a cholesterol test (I'd had nothing to eat or drink since the previous evening) and while we're at it we'll do an ECG". Very helpful. A fitness assessment from my gym and these tests will do me for now but I reckon a full 'MOT' is on the cards
Old 20 May 2003, 11:33 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

I work as a hospital doctor and you might be surprised to know that I would think twice about attending for a health assessment. Certainly unless you've got money to burn, you've got free private cover or you need it for work purposes don't pay £500 for a private medical.

If you have a specific health problem, see your GP about it. If you want a MOT type of medical assessment, be prepared for the consequences. You might be referred for further investigations and you will probably need bloods tests. Abnormal findings such as high blood pressure or high cholesterol may affect significantly life insurance premiums subsequently.

My advice: if you feel well and don't have a family history of poor health (such as diabetes or heart disease) you don't need a health MOT. Just eat healthily, don't smoke, drink in moderation and take regular exercise.

D.
Old 21 May 2003, 08:46 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Easy way to get free health assesment....

Apply for a million quids worth of life and critical illness assurance. They will take you medical history apart and send you to your doc for a full medical. They do other tests as well and send all the results to your doc before they underwrite it. They will pay for it.

If it gets underwritten you can be sure you are as healthy as they come. If you get turned down, speak to your doc as he will have been told the reason why