Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Trying to start a career in sales

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2001, 12:44 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Tim - not easy, but sign yourself up for one of the door to door selling schemes. You will not make much money, but you will develop the brass neck you need and will learn how to read people. Good luck
Old 26 September 2001, 10:26 AM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

I am being made reduntand in a few months and I need to find a new job. I want to start a fresh career in sales but most of the jobs around want sales experience. Are there any ways I can get into this career without any so called experience? Are there any training courses that would help?

Help me Scoobynet, any idea's.

Tim
Old 26 September 2001, 01:52 PM
Taff
Scooby Regular

Piece of p155. Knock on the door of most IT recruitment companies and if they like your face you're in. Should take you a couple of weeks to learn the ropes then away you go. If you manage to build some business take yourself off to another recruitment company and negotiate a guarantee commission. Before that runs out move jobs again and secure another guarantee.

Once you've got sales experience in recruitment you could then maybe make the leap to a real sales job

I currently work for an IT recruitment group and I've seen the dross we employ so if you can spell you're light years ahead to start

Cheers
Taff

edited for spelling mistake - QED!!

[This message has been edited by Taff (edited 26 September 2001).]
Old 26 September 2001, 02:09 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Taff

Are you recruiting cos I'm looking

Tim
Old 26 September 2001, 02:28 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

We went to a so-called-recruitment agency for sales staff, the pick of the bunch (7) were selected on first impressions etc. One never turned up, one turned up for two weeks, claimed his mother was ill was off for two weeks and got his 'mate' to pick up his pay cheque and was never seen again... one was fairly good but left within 2 months, one could really sell but was poached by a company he had previously interviewed for, one was so bad we sacked him almost straight away and the other two didn't earn enough between them in 6 months to cover one month of one of their wages.
So all in all a load of bo11ocks

If you are human, don't smell too bad and at least turn up you will be better than most of the f'wits we had!

Good luck!
Old 26 September 2001, 05:02 PM
Taff
Scooby Regular

see - RichB is in total agreement (I think)

Tim - we're always recruiting but I'll do you a favour and not tell you who we are - that way you'll never get involved in recruitment which is second only to crack-dealing in my opinion

Over the last 3 years I reckon I've seen 200 recruitment consultants come and go and of that number only about 2 were any good.

Recruitment Consultant or Recruitment Con-artist

I've gone a bit off track here

I think recruitment would be an easy in for you if your desperate to get into sales but if I were you I'd get into IT.
Old 26 September 2001, 05:58 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Question

Tim

What do you do at the moment??

Might be looking for sales people but we might not.

Mark
Old 26 September 2001, 10:14 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Taff

lol Good to see honesty I have thought of getting into IT as I have a knack for some of it (after a bit of help) and I enjoy it but again, how do I start?

Mark

I'm a buyer for a soft drinks company at the moment. I've been thinking about getting into sales for sometime now. My current situation has 'kick started' my investigating. Mail me off line if you can help me further.

Cheers

Tim

Old 27 September 2001, 10:09 AM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Tim

As a buyer you must deal with loads of sales men? Think what it is that makes you buy/not buy, then put this in your cv, find examples of where you have used these skills yourself. Hey presto you are a sales man

Good luck