Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sky Digiboxes

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2001, 09:49 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only box with a digital out that's enabled is the new Sky+ recorder.

Can't remember about ownership.

Have you tried calling on-digital and making them an offer for the box? Ebay?
Old 24 September 2001, 09:55 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Talking

Once you've subscribed to Sky Digital for 12 months the equipment belongs to you

Kryten's right about the Digital Audio out's - at the moment the only digibox that supports this is the Sky+ box, HOWEVER ( ), if you're not in a desperate hurry and you don't want Sky+, hang about until after Xmas and get the *new* Sony Digibox in January which has both Optical and Digital Coaxial outputs Dolby Digital transmissions should (evidently ) be starting some time next "summer" (whenever you judge that to be!!)

Kelvin
Old 24 September 2001, 12:00 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Question

After 12 months of prepaid OnDigital, I now have to fork out for a new subscription or hand the box back. As I mainly watch free-to-air digital channels, I was wondering about the free Sky digiboxes. To keep installation costs down, I'd go for a channel package - but can anyone tell me what happens after 12 months?

Does Sky retain ownership, or am I free to do whatever I want with the box?

Also - so any of the current boxes offer dolby digital out? I read somewhere that DD transmissions would be starting in a few months.

Thanks
Old 24 September 2001, 10:34 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Kelvins right about the digital out. My Sony VTX-S760U has a digital out and it sounds great. I brought it for £249 from my local Sony shop as my old Sky box was on it's last legs. As to ownership of the old box...mines in the loft at the moment collecting dust.

Another thing about he Sky+ box, have you seen the size of it It is longer, wider and taller then the old boxes and they cost you an extra £350 to buy one and then £10 per month extra on your monthly subscription. Nearly £500 just to be able to watch two channels and record digitally. Not worth it in my option if anyone is asking.

[This message has been edited by Tim Taylor (edited 24 September 2001).]
Old 24 September 2001, 10:54 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the info folks.

Yep, been looking at the auction sites, but only seems to be no-contract OnD boxes going for about £120.

Tim, I agree about Sky+ - good idea, but way too pricey at the mo.

Think what I might do is go for a freebie Sky box and then buy a Sony or something with digital out next summer when the transmissions start.

Any suggestions on the best freebie box around currently? Was going to put pressure on the friendly local installer to get a Panny.
Old 25 September 2001, 12:16 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Guys

Try these links for all your digital box needs and more. I am told!!! they include handy step by step DIY chipping and all those other digi box things you shouldnt be doing.
Old 25 September 2001, 11:23 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Wink

Definitely the Panasonic - the Sony looks a little bit nicer but it's nowhere near as quick

Kelvin
Old 25 September 2001, 11:24 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I quite fancy the Sky+ box and dont feel the basic cost is that much for a digital recorder. But the additional £10 per month is a complete rip off.

When I first got Sky Digital I responded to an offer to get the Sony box - which seemed the best unit at the time. But is usual Sky tradition when they arrived they brought a Panasonic ! I complained but the engineer said I would be mad to go for the Sony as the Panny was far the best (yeah right !!). But, having seen my parents Sony unit in action he was right - it was much slower to react to instructions. Stick with the Panny at the moment I reckon.
Old 25 September 2001, 11:30 AM
GregD
Scooby Regular

Sorry for diving onto the thread but I've got a (vaguely) related question. Anyone know from where/how much to get a second Sky Digibox remote control as I've just bought one of those TV Link thingies? Works very well BTW, although the first one they sent was duff.

Greg