Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

No logbook?

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2003, 11:21 AM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to a car auction tomorrow and alot of the cars for sale have "no logbook"

I'm guessing this is the V5 form. Am I wrong?

How hard is it to get a new logbook?
Old 27 February 2003, 11:47 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Fairly easy to get a new one if you are the registered keeper, but I would avoid buying one with no log book. Most of them are probably genuine but you have no way of telling
Old 27 February 2003, 11:58 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Getting a Logbook (V5) is very easy, just go to the Post Office and apply for it using the form V62. Remember the Logbook just shows who is the registered keeper, not the owner, so there is now proof of ownership required when applying, so just send off the form and it will be back to you in 1-3 weeks depending on how busy they are, but bear in mind March is just round the corner, and is now the busiest month for new car sales. so it may take a while to be sent.

The other thing is, you cannot now tax your car without a logbook, or tax renewal form, so unless the car is already taxed, it will have to be kept off the road until you get the V5, and can tax it at the post office. Tax applied in the windscreen will cut no ice, as you won't have applied for the tax at that stage, so you'll have to leave the car on your drive, or in the garage, it can't be parked in the road with no tax.

And having just realised your the chap who I replied to in the thread about car auctions, have you read the advice I left, I know its only an opinion, but its the same advice every auction newbie gets and would be wise to respect.

[Edited by Reffro - 2/27/2003 12:01:44 PM]
Old 27 February 2003, 07:27 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Wink

takes longer to get a logbook now with the new rules. 6-8 weeks to get one now. DVLA say you should`nt buy buy a vehicle without a v5(logbook). goverment are trying to cut down on logbook fraud.

mike