Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Freezable de icer????

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2003, 01:18 PM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The last 2 mornings now, I have had to de ice my windows with Holts de icer. After spraying it on and leaving it for a while, started to drive off, and the screens froze again. Should this be happening at -4 degrees?
Old 19 February 2003, 01:49 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Buy some de-icer de-icer then spray some on your de-icer

Old 19 February 2003, 05:24 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Wink

But what will de-ice the de-icer de-icer if it should ice up
Old 19 February 2003, 05:32 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A gararge
Old 19 February 2003, 05:32 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

its called wind chill the temp may be -4 but when the air is moving it can drop!

[Edited by jonny gav - 2/20/2003 1:27:48 PM]
Old 19 February 2003, 08:31 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

When moving the temperature will still be -4 regardless of how fast you are driving. So nowt really to do with wind chill.

More likely is that the solvent in the de icer, usually something like alcohol evaporates leaving the left over water to freeze at it's freezing point of 0 degress C.

Basically, if you use de icer you should still clear the liquid off the glass before pulling away.

Cheers

Ian

[Edited by IWatkins - 2/19/2003 8:37:30 PM]
Old 19 February 2003, 09:23 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

lol- how does traveling through air cause it to drop in temp!

T
Old 19 February 2003, 09:40 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Well actually what can happen is you set off with the windscreen squirters working, then once you're on the move the squirters stop working. Although the temperature doesn't drop, this is due to 'wind chill'.

The squirters are wet. Airflow over them causes the moisture to evaporate quicker, cooling the nozzles so they gum up
Old 19 February 2003, 10:35 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

I may be wrong, but i am sure that i read somewhere that although de-icer causes ice to melt - it actually reduces the temperature even further (due to to the state change). However, the de-icer/water mix has a lower freezing point than plain water - which is why it initially remains liquid.

If you don't clear this mix of the screen whilst it is liquid, when the de-icer evaporates, the remaining water (which is extra-cold, and on a similarly extra-cold windscreen) will quite obviously freeze again (even harder).

mb
Old 20 February 2003, 06:19 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

lol- how does traveling through air cause it to drop in temp!
From that statement I guess youve never done any watersports in the UK, otherwise youd know what wind chill is. It doesnt just have to be the wind blowing - a moving car causes air to move faster as it flows over the leading edge.

Try reading up on windchill courtesy of NASA:

http://pumas.jpl.nasa.gov/examples/l..._Id=10_31_01_2

Simon.
Old 20 February 2003, 06:28 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Well actually what can happen is you set off with the windscreen squirters working, then once you're on the move the squirters stop working. Although the temperature doesn't drop, this is due to 'wind chill'.
Nope, I'm sorry, wind chill does not affect water.
Old 20 February 2003, 07:09 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

So answer me this. Example. If I put a tray of water that just covers the surface outside now, it would not freeze as quickly as when the water is on my car windscreen. So how do you explain this?
Old 20 February 2003, 07:16 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

I don't know, maybe the fact that water on your windscreen is a very thin layer? Or the fact that warm water freezes quicker than cold (it does) and your windscreen is slightly warmer?

It can't be wind chill as such though.
Old 20 February 2003, 07:41 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Nope, I'm sorry, wind chill does not affect water.
So what, IYHO, is 'wind chill' if not a flow of air causing moisture (water) on your skin to evaporate?
Old 20 February 2003, 09:32 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

From How Stuff Works:
You have probably heard weatherpeople on the TV news talking about the windchill factor. The windchill factor is the temperature that a person feels because of the wind. For example, if a thermometer reads 35 degrees Fahrenheit outside and the wind is blowing at 25 miles per hour (mph), the windchill factor causes it to feel like it is 8 degrees F. In other words, your 98-degree body loses heat as though it is 8 degrees outside.

The windchill factor is the same effect that causes you to blow on hot soup to cool it down. The movement of the air increases the soup's loss of heat by convection, so the soup cools down faster. See How Thermoses Work for details on radiation, conduction and convection.

For an inanimate object, windchill has an effect if the object is warm. For example, say that you fill two glasses with the same amount of 100-degree water. You put one glass in your refrigerator, which is at 35 degrees, and one outside, where it is 35 degrees and the wind is blowing at 25 mph (so the windchill makes it feel like 8 degrees). The glass outside will get cold quicker than the glass in the refrigerator because of the wind. However, the glass outside will not get colder than 35 degrees -- the air is 35 degrees whether it is moving or not. That is why the thermometer reads 35 degrees even though it feels like 8 degrees.
[Edited by NotoriousREV - 2/20/2003 9:33:37 AM]
Old 20 February 2003, 09:36 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So there
Old 20 February 2003, 11:49 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

NotoriousRev, thanks for proving my point

Windchill is nothing other than the feeling of coldness. It is radiation, convection etc that causes objects, other than ourselves, to cool.

Edited to say what if, on a sunny spring day the temperature is 20c and I'm cruising along at 100mph (in Germany obv). If I washed my windscreen surely if 'windchill' cools water then in the above scenario it would freeze?

[Edited by MooseRacer - 2/20/2003 12:06:43 PM]
Old 20 February 2003, 12:02 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

The glass outside will get cold quicker than the glass in the refrigerator because of the wind. However, the glass outside will not get colder than 35 degrees -- the air is 35 degrees whether it is moving or not. That is why the thermometer reads 35 degrees even though it feels like 8 degrees.
Hmm. Why do we have wet and dry bulb thermometers then? Seems to me that if the above is true, the two will always show the same temperature. IWatkins?
Old 20 February 2003, 01:16 PM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

so basically, it's not really worth de icing the windscreen?
Old 20 February 2003, 01:28 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

'xcuse me, guys.....

Just buy a garage, that and direct your air blowers to windscreen - problem solved
Old 20 February 2003, 01:30 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Web bulb and dry bulb. Don't get me started

Dry bulb temperature (in a meteorological sense) is the temperature of air using a thermometer that isn't being affected direct or indirect solar radiation. I.e. it is sheilded from external radiation inputs. With this is doesn't matter if the wind blowing past it is at 5mph or 200mph, it'll still read the same temperature.

Wet bulb temperature is the temperature (Tw) at which pure water must be evaporated into a given sample of air, adiabaticaly and at a constant pressure, in order to saturate the air at temperature Tw under steady-state conditions. I.e. it is a temperature that is lower than the dry bulb caused by the cooling affect of water evaporating off it. This is why when you are in dense fog (humidity 100% = air is saturdated), the wet bulb and dry bulb temperatures are equal.

Does that help ?

In addition, cooling of windscreens overnight in freezing conditions and their apparant cooling due to wind while driving in freezing conditions is also affected greatly by its radiative properties. I would suggest that the reason screen wash etc. can freeze on the windscreen when you are driving (if air temp is low enough) is caused by the forced evaporation of the water off the screen rather than it being cooled due to wind chill.

Cheers

Ian
Old 20 February 2003, 01:47 PM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

Is that your garage????
That looks excellent.
I have a garage, but as we have just moved in, it's still full of boxes. Might have to look at re designing it like yours. I used the left over carpet they put down to cover most of the garage, but I don't think the light cream will stay that way long
Old 20 February 2003, 01:52 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Echo what Ian said, I wish I was that eloquent
Old 20 February 2003, 02:06 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I think we're all agreed, aren't we? You said "it's not wind chill" and I said "it's down to evaporation" (which I called wind chill). So it's not wind chill, but it is the effect I described
Old 20 February 2003, 02:51 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Carl,

Basically, yes. Wind chill is the increased rate of convection/radiation/condution of heat from a body that is warmer than its surroundings due to wind.

Evaporative cooling is the lowering in temperature of an object due the evaporation of a liquid from its surface.

The two are not the same.

Cheers

Ian
Old 20 February 2003, 03:09 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

So when it's windy, as well as feeling 'wind chill' you must feel the effects of evaporative cooling?

Old 20 February 2003, 03:30 PM
yoza
BANNED

Red face

De-iceing Scooby-babe style(my other half)

She fills a 2litre plastic lemonade bottle up with hot water,and places it on the dashboard(over the blower vents).She then starts the car and puts the blower on full,also the rear heated screen goes on.

She then locks the car with the spare key.

She then gives me a shout to let me know the bacon butties are ready.

I mess around in the bathroom for 5mins,get dressed,collect the spare key and bacon butties,and drive to work in a fully de=frosted warmish car.

Dont see what all the fuss is about........

Later Yoza
Old 20 February 2003, 03:32 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I leave for work early and have an Afterburner exhaust. Could make myself a bit unpopular there, particularly as I've just found out one of our neighbours is a policeman