BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pity it wasnt paid for on credit....

[Edited by Luke - 12/2/2002 5:15:48 PM]
Old 02 December 2002, 05:12 PM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

It's always good to get some advice from you guys so here goes.

Situation is my other half and I invested £6K in a new kitchen from MFI and paid a cheque over on 2nd October, as they requested full payment two weeks before delivery. The kitchen was subsequently delivered (hundreds of bloody boxes including integrated appliances) and installation started on 18th October and the fitters left on 21st with the kitchen 95% complete. It transpired that a number of articles (couple of integrated appliance doors, some downlighters, some plinth and the extractor fan) were not delivered, but the fitters said they would inform the branch and come back to complete the job when the outstanding items do arrive. Since 21st October, the outstanding items (bar the downlighters) have been individually delivered but despite promising to come back a number of times, the fitters never showed. It transpires that they have now (they were sub-contractors) dropped MFI as clients.

Before you all start going on about "told you so" and "why go to MFI", we were working off a budget and incidentally are very happy with the design we eventually went for.

I have today written a strong letter to their MD stating my dissatisfaction at the (lack of!) service received and the fact that I have wasted time and money by taking time off work to be there for fitters who never turn up.

I've therefore suggested that within the next 14 days they either come and complete the kitchen to my satisfaction, or that they come and take the whole lot out and give us a complete refund.

As I know there have been a few threads on MFI stuff within the last few months, can anyone make any (useful!!) comments or let me know any other suggestions to get things done.

Comments appreciated greatly! Thanks.

Scooby Snacks.
Old 02 December 2002, 05:16 PM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

10% deposit on credit card in September, balance of 90% by Building Society cheque from savings.
Old 02 December 2002, 05:31 PM
Luke
BANNED

10% any chance you could take it up with the card company??

Take a load of pics etc .Get them enlarged and go and visit MFI on a Saturday. Stand outside with a big sign telling your story.

Go in and kick the manager right in the *****... this will show him you mean buisiness and he will start to "Listen"
Old 02 December 2002, 05:41 PM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

I've considered that Luke (obviously) but a kick in the ***** isn't good enough. Usually I'd torch the shop, and then the manager's house but I've grown up in recent years!!

Old 03 December 2002, 12:22 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

similar thing happened with my folks - seems MFI have a habit of doing this [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03 December 2002, 12:38 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Who was your contract for the fitters with? Seems to me that either you have a contract with the fitters in which case they should come back, or you have a contract with MFI in which case they should arrange for fitters to come and finish it.

Personally I would write to MFI (if the fitters were employed through them) stating that you want the work completed by a certain date (but you'll have to be reasonable say a fortnight) and if the work is not completed by that date you will be employing your own fitter and sending them the bill.

If you do have to employ your own fitter and MFI don't pay you can then take them to court.

I also suspect that your credit card company may be jointly liable as the deposit was I assume over £100.

Chris
Old 03 December 2002, 01:03 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

This currently occurs at MFI as their Supply Chain is not visible to all their staff. The stock held in the distribution centres is hidden from view so no one really knows the total stock levels of each item... this will change in the near(ish) future.

I would suggest contacting MFI, look at their website and find the appropriate contact details. Inform them of the issues you have and the resolution you want.

Going in and complaining without a potential solution will only slow the whole process down, as would assulat and arson!
Old 03 December 2002, 01:32 PM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replies guys - indeed the contract was with MFI to supply and fit so MFI sub-contracted the work to fitters so MFI should be sorting directly. It seems that I've done the right thing by complaining ans giving them 14 days to sort it (I'll turn to assault and arson after that 14 days!!).

As for the credit card position, I think I'll talk to my bank directly to see what they say.

Thanks again - will let you know what happens in the end!!
Old 03 December 2002, 02:00 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Hmm - how big is yer kitchen, I had the top of the range one fitted with all integrated appliances (fridge, freezer, oven, hob, dishwasher and washing machine) and it only cost £3500 - aboot 2 years ago, prices can't have gone up that much have they ??

FYI, I had a custom built kitchen fitted to my parents house this week (only appliance was a cooker and hob) for aboot the same amount.
Old 03 December 2002, 02:08 PM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

It's a fairly large kitchen, with 6 wall units, about 10 under worktop units (drawers and cupboards) with fridge, freezer, ceramic hob, cooker, extractor fan, washing machine, etc. The full price included the fitting which I would have guessed to be aout £1200ish.
Old 03 December 2002, 02:11 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

ahaaa - did you not ask for a discount and then walk out of MFI when they said no - I did and got approx 40% off after they begged me to sit down again...