Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

fire fighters - the enemy within?

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2002, 02:40 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I am extremely concerned about the military effectiveness of our armed forces... I do not have a box of 19,000 (troops) standing by for such duties so they must come from operational duties. So they are not doing their task for training for whatever eventuality may come in the future.
Sir Michael Boyce

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2495137.stm

Also they're not getting home leave and moral is falling.

Have the fire fighters got no shame at all [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

FFS sack the strikers now [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 20 November 2002, 02:50 PM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

judging by previous (and tiresome) posts, you've obviously got a bee in your bonnet about the fire service. If you're so concerned, why don't you offer to help out?

At the very least, it might prevent you from dragging up this topic again....
Old 20 November 2002, 02:50 PM
taz
Scooby Regular

Do the Firefighters not have any rights then.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20 November 2002, 02:57 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Wink

Why don't we send MP's out to fight fires instead?

After all, they voted themselves a 40% pay rise and spend less time at work than 95% of the population so should be in good company
Old 20 November 2002, 02:57 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Incorrect - I have a bee in my bonnet about bully boy militant f*ckwits who are prepared to allow people to die for thier own selfish gain and generally undermine our country without any apparant sense of responsibility.

Threads are like the telly - if you don't like the title don't read it. There's a whole Muppet Show of threads I don't read because I'm not interested, but I don't slag people off for posting them.

I happen to think this is an important issue that is ongoing, hence a fresh post. Clearly you don't. Fair enough.
Old 20 November 2002, 03:02 PM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

Have you actually aired your views with any of the firefighters in question? If I felt as strongly as you about it, then that's what I would do.

At least you would then feel as though you were really making a difference.....you know - positive action and all that....
Old 20 November 2002, 03:09 PM
Shy Muppet
Scooby Regular

Location: Dancing around a maypole in the New Forest waving 6 fairy tokens in the air!
Angry

No sense of responsibility? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] What the hell is your problem?

Firefighters put their lives on the line every single day to save people. And don't give me that "that's what they get paid for" cr*p because these men and women go well beyond their duty.

Stop reading the toilet roll newspapers and listen to what the firefighter are saying. The only reason we know people die at fires is because it's in the news. People die all time time whether the fire service is on strike or not!

Back in the spring an independent review body stated that the fireservice should be awarded a 40% increase in the wages to bring them in line as they have not had a pay review since the 70's.

The local authorities were willing to give them a 16% pay rise in the interim period, to which the fire service agreed.

However, the government (who didn't want to know in the beginning) stepped in and has caused all this nonsense. Do you really think the fire service want to go on strike? They don't. They only want a fair rate of pay, that's all. The government is the enemy within, not the fire service.

The strange thing is, MP's also had a pay review by the same independent review body, to which they were given a 40% pay increase.

Trending Topics

Old 20 November 2002, 03:09 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Wink

If only it were up to me

Unfortunately I have to work for a living, no 4 days on 4 days off and sleeping at work for me.(more's the pity)
Old 20 November 2002, 03:11 PM
Shy Muppet
Scooby Regular

Location: Dancing around a maypole in the New Forest waving 6 fairy tokens in the air!
Angry

You know what you should do Uncle Buck. You should spend 1 nite with the fire service and you will see that they don't sleep during the night. Get the facts, before you say anything.
Old 20 November 2002, 03:33 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Also they're not getting home leave and moral is falling.
Strikes me that you could use the same argument as has been bandied about regarding the fire fighters. After all, the Army recruits knew the score before they joined up, didn't they? Their job is to help in a national emergency - that's what we pay 'em for. If their morale is low, they can always go and get another job, eh? Oh, and at least they're not getting shot at.

Frankly, if the firefighters have reduced our fighting force to the point where it means postponing the war with Iraq, then they're doing us a large favour.
Old 20 November 2002, 03:47 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Uncle Buck

I've had to work twelve hour shifts 4 days on 4 days off/4 nights on four nights off.

All I'll say is I'm glad I didn't have to be alert enough to fight fires.

I know you're angry about the situation but I think there's more to it than we are all seeing.

If the govt reduced their increase by half in order to give more to [for arguments sake the firefighters] would this make you happy.
Old 20 November 2002, 04:00 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

If their morale is low, they can always go and get another job, eh?
Er, I don't think it's quite like that when you're in the army
Old 20 November 2002, 04:18 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Er, I don't think it's quite like that when you're in the army
Again, as has been said about the firemen numerous times - "they knew that before they signed up".
Old 20 November 2002, 04:33 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

You should spend 1 nite with the fire service and you will see that they don't sleep during the night.
Someone should sack the bloke who wasted a load of money on all those beds and dormitories then

AND the blokes who demanded they were provided !!

To put things into context, maybe you should spend a night (or preferably a "working" week) with the Paramedics. No beds or snooker tables there.
Old 20 November 2002, 04:44 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Many squaddies would have to "buy themselves out" if they wish to leave early - I have no idea if this applies to the fire service

The army has been cut-back over the last 10 years (I guess this applies to the fire service).

Squadidies can be told with virtualy no notice they're spending 3 months in some hole the other side of the world because Tony has decided thats what they need to do (very unlike the fire service).

Your squaddie cant strike 'cos he doesn't like it - he puts up (and buys himself out) or shuts up. Thankfully enough shut up and get on with it to proivde the service we need from them (again it would appear very unlike the current fire service).

Deano

Old 21 November 2002, 08:26 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Why not ? ... a friend of mine joined, served in Northern Ireland and Bosnia (yes he engaged the enemy on numerous occasions)finished his stint
"Finished his stint" is the important bit. When you're in the army, if you're fed up with it you can't just give a week's notice and f**k off...
Old 21 November 2002, 09:22 AM
DAC
Scooby Regular

first time replying to these firefighter topics.

but sack the strikers- more window cleaners die as a result of accidents at work than firefighters.
(and these are probably firemen on their part-tine jobs)
they have top equipment - top retirement and other benefits and they do sleep on duty.
try a stint in a mucky wire mill 12 hrs on 12 hrs off - no sleeping at work

I would gladly join the fire service for £21k a year (cant as i wear glasses), having never earned that much,
and i have also done a stint in the forces.

lets not forget £21k a year, north of London is not a bad salary.

you guys on alot more who agree with the strike - pay it out of your taxes. (I can't afford).

Old 21 November 2002, 09:47 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Angry

you guys on alot more who agree with the strike - pay it out of your taxes.
I do pay it out of my taxes. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]