Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hotels in Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2002, 09:22 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Anyone been to Bangkok and can recommend a reasonable hotel for 4-5 nights for a honeymooning couple?

We've bought the plane tickets and will be going for a month starting Dec 15. I'd like the first day or two to not get out of bed , then a bit more for visiting the city. And after that, we're off travelling. Aircon, security and cleanliness are more important than diamond-studded 4 posters and butler service

I can find one with Google I'm sure, but personal recommendations are usually better.

Thanks in advance

Brendan
Old 19 November 2002, 09:32 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

better off going on your stag night
Old 19 November 2002, 10:07 PM
NOS nova
Scooby Regular

have a look here and ask some questions in the forum, you will definatly find the best place-www.edenclub-bkk.com

and you will have a time you will never forget
Old 19 November 2002, 10:26 PM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

Used to travel to Bangkok a lot on business (honest)!
Some wonderful hotels but I always remember staying at the Oriental Hotel (right on the river Chao Phray (excuse spelling).
That was in the `80s and at that time it was rightly ranked as the world's best hotel. Great location and service and I was trvelling the entire Far East where good service is Really expected.
As there are now newer hotels you might get a good deal at the Oriental.
Old 20 November 2002, 09:47 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just so you know -

Man who walk sideways through airport doorway, going to Bangkok.
Old 20 November 2002, 01:28 PM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

I went to Bangkok a few years ago and stayed in a stunning hotel right opposite Pat Pong market. Can't remember the name of it, but I will add it here when I do. The service was excellent, the staff would open doors for you and press the buttons in the lift for you floor. I was determined to open a door by the end of my holiday, but was unable to.
Old 20 November 2002, 01:43 PM
xyzpaul
Scooby Regular

I stayed in the "Indra Regent" a few years ago which was okay, but not honeymoon standard.
Old 20 November 2002, 06:48 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

Hotels in Bangkok are cheap by western standards so if you ever wanted to stay at a top 5 star place then I would go for it in BKK.

Personally I prefer something decent but not too expensive. I've stayed at the Siam City hotel a couple of times this year. It's a modern comfortable hotel near to a Skytrain station. If you want to see any of BKK then it's worth getting a hotel near to the Skytrain because otherwise you can spend a lot of time stuck in the endless traffic jams. Last time I was there we spent over an hour on one taxi ride just going across the city. You can book the Siam City through http://www.hotelthailand.com/prepaid/bkkprepaid/siamcity/index.html I've used hotel thailand a couple of times with no problems. Unfortunately Siam City have just put up their rates. It was 1800THB but now it's 2850THB. That's about £44.

Another alternative which I've tried is the Princess Royal see http://www.hotelthailand.com/prepaid/bkkprepaid/royalprincess/index.html It's cheaper at 2130THB and the quality is slighty better than the Siam City but away from the Skytrain.
Old 20 November 2002, 07:38 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Wink

Highly recommend the Dusit Thani (sp?), we stayed in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai in Dusit hotels and had an overnight in BK and just asked them to book us in one of their hotels there. It was the Thani - probably the plushest hotel I've stayed at in my life, very old colonial style. Unknown to us on booking - but soon dicovered shortly after arrival, it's only a few hundred yards from the notorious Pat Pong road.

p.s. head for Chiang Mai in my opinion - fantastic pace of life, scenery and also www.cultcartours.com

Kevin.
Old 20 November 2002, 07:44 PM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

we stayed in imperial queens park which is good standard.

for my money though i would do one/ two days max in bangkok then head north to chiang mai. fantastic place and after smog/ traffic/ general hustle and bustle of bangkok is quite relaxing....

mind you pat pong is an eye opener. razor blades, darts and all sorts...
Old 20 November 2002, 07:49 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

Agree about Chiang Mai. I was there for New Years eve last year - great place - spent hours in the night bazaar
Old 21 November 2002, 09:59 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

That's excellent, thanks everyone. My wife's found a list of hotels on the web sorted by price, and a lot of the above names crop up (Orient is still in the priciest bracket!) so we'll dig a bit further.

Cheers!

BJH