Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2000, 11:30 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

This sounds more fun than an Impreza. Cheaper
too.

AN amazing pair of petrol-powered boots that allow the wearer to run at 25mph have been built and tested by a Russian aircraft engineer, writes Michael Hanlon.

If the design is adopted by a mass manufacturer, the boots could be the latest urban transport craze following the success of the lightweight folding scooter.

The boots, which have tiny engines and weigh 2lb each, can effortlessly boost running speeds in excess of those achieved by the best Olympic sprinters.

Professor Roman Kunikov says his powerboots will give people a flying start, propelling them 13ft in a single stride.

The boots were tested this week at the town square in Ufa, 750 miles from Moscow.

Professor Kunikov says the boots may well become the latest fun craze but could also have a more serious use, helping emergency teams to reach people in trouble quickly and efficiently in areas inaccessible to wheeled transport.

The boots could also be worn by policemen when they are chasing fleeing robbers or drunken yobs.

The test showed that an untrained person wearing the boots could reach speeds of 25mph - faster than the fastest Olympic sprinters.

The boots are powered by pistons which are strapped to the calf. When the wearer steps down, the piston fires, pushing a sprung metal platform away from the bottom of the boot. This propels the wearer up into the air.

The boots incorporate the engine, a tiny fuel tank, a carburettor and spark plug. The carburettor jets can be adjusted to take into account people's weights, Professor Kunikov said.

The fuel supply is enough for a 25-minute run - ample time to cover a distance of 10 miles or more. On several test runs the boots worked perfectly and there were no reported accidents, either to the wearers or to bystanders.

The professor works at the UFA Aviation Technical University which used to design military hardware for the Soviet Union, including MiG fighter planes. But with the collapse of the Soviet empire, the university has started to channel its efforts into developing products which can be sold in the West.

Old 07 July 2000, 11:35 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Is it april 1st?

If this is true, you'd need to be fit to keep up with the boots!
Old 07 July 2000, 11:37 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Cool

This has been said before in another thread....but please don't post stuff like this during the day, 'cos when I ROLFMAO at work, everyone looks at me as if I'm kinda weird!

Painting pictures with words, or what!!
Old 07 July 2000, 11:41 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

The boots were on Sky News this morning! they claimed speeds up to 40 mph with 9 foot strides.
Old 07 July 2000, 11:46 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

This is a wind up surely.

The human limbs could not stand the shock as they land from such jumping. Ithought at first that the legs could not keep up with the greater speed but iy obviously comes from increased distanceo f stride.

Still think its bollocks though. How many engines that could fit in your shoe have the strength to throw you into the air?

Old 07 July 2000, 11:57 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Just been here ....
Old 07 July 2000, 02:30 PM
Mulder
Scooby Regular

Imagine, your at the lights, he's revving his engine, your revving your boots, bang off the line and into the horizon!!!

Wonder if they'll do performance mods for it, prehaps a tiny turbo, or an induction kit....!!!!!!

Old 07 July 2000, 03:02 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sat here and pictured it - cracked up, and then had to send it to everyone I work with 'cos I couldn't stop laughing long enough to explain!
Old 07 July 2000, 05:07 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I saw this on sky news this morning too and couldn't believe it! They had one 'cop' running through what looked like a multi story car park and as he lent over to corner I was just waiting to see the stilts slide from under him. Instead they just gripped and round he went. Amzing piece of technology, but what for????
Old 08 July 2000, 03:53 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Wohhhh I have to see it to believe it first.If it is true, the man who invented them will be in for some money. I don't like the idea of police having them however. I mean i like getting drunk and putting cones on my head as i walk up the street at 1 o clock in the morning. The next thing i'll know is that i'll be flying through the air straight to the nearest cashpoint in the arms of some copper.(great)
Neil smalley. I don't think that they will be more fun than an impreza however. How good are they on corners? and what if they actually go off when your driving your impreza down the road. Does'nt bear thinking about does it. LOL Besides, the way petrol prices are carrying on no-one will be able to fill them up. Do they come in diesel?
Old 08 July 2000, 05:29 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hardly AWD is it ??

or is it ???

Richard
Old 08 July 2000, 05:40 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Talking

AFD! maybe LOL
Old 08 July 2000, 02:44 PM
Ron H
Scooby Regular

Red face

Bugger that!
Remember falling of your push bike at 10 mph.
Sheesh, that used to huet me. Fall **** over tit in these and its the equivelent of having a bike accident.
Helmets/Protective gear. Your surely having a laugh.

(I actually would buy a pair though...he he he )

Great.
Makes you quick on your toes. Prospective wheel trim/car badge thieves will be buying these instead of bikes now.

Whats the world coming to?
Old 08 July 2000, 05:34 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

okay - thats about the 2nd coolest thinhg ever - after the small personal helicopter that is!!

What I know need to know, is how can I get a pair!?!

I think 40mph is maybe a little hopeful - as Ron said, you'd kill yourself crashing! make food shopping a lot less dull mind you
Old 08 July 2000, 05:49 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Time to get the Gatso's on the pavements!

What will they think of next?

Chris
Old 09 July 2000, 12:54 PM
Rico
Scooby Regular

Wink

Can you get breathalised with those things on? Sounds like a great alternative to a taxi back from the pub?..hell might even beat a few scoobies off the mark..