Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2002, 01:08 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I've been thinking about buying a camera but I'm not sure what to get

It will mainly be used for motorsports, rallying and stuff so I think I'll need a good zoom? The other thing is I don't know whether to get an SLR or digital, one big factor is that access to a pooter/good printer isn't that easy for me.

Any tips or advice.....?

ta Bob

oh yeah, a stils camera, not video
Old 23 October 2002, 01:12 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

I have a Canon EOS 500N (SLR),with a 28-80 and 80-200 zoom lens plus a 2x converter.
Its a few years old but is very versatile for the sort of thing your after.I'm not sure if digital camera's have the zoom capability you're after.

Digitals are great,but the old negative is still alive and kicking
Old 23 October 2002, 01:23 PM
Avril
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Bob,

I've got a Canon EOS300 with 20-85 and 75-300 lenses. Used it at Silverstone during F1 testing a few times. First day I used it I took loads of pictures of all the cars as I didn't think many good ones would come out. When I got them developed, every sodding one of them was perfect, so I'm up to my knees in piccies of the same F1 cars. Don't bother with a proper motorsport lens - that'll cost you thousands. Go for the twin lens set - good value for money. ('sgood for rally piccies too.)

Hope this helps
Avril

Edit: £319.89 from Dixons with as the twin set I just mentioned.

[Edited by Avril - 10/23/2002 1:26:24 PM]
Old 23 October 2002, 01:33 PM
Avril
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention the difference between SLRs and digitals (though you can get digital SLRs but they're 'kin expensive). Digitals are a pain in the backside if you happen to be taking the picture from behind fencing, whereas with an SLR it will be too close to feature in the picture. If you've tried to take shots from Woodcote corner you'll know where I'm coming from.

Also, with most digitals, there's a delay between pressing the button and picture being taken, so you 'lose the moment' (ooh- how arty was that?).

Hope that's useful
Old 23 October 2002, 01:43 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Also, with most digitals, there's a delay between pressing the button and picture being taken, so you 'lose the moment' (ooh- how arty was that?).

Pretty important for motor racing photography..obviously..
Old 23 October 2002, 01:44 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

If its Motorsport youre taking shots of you have no choice really it will have to be SLR (for now) as a fast motor wind/shutter speed will be vital and unless your are seriously rich digital cant cut it (yet)
I have to declare i am a Canon Fan
Nikons are great but dammned expensive and thats before you talk about any long lenses
Canon have a vast range of lenses which are very good quality and dont all cost the earth
If you can,bag an old eos 600 these were built like brick **** houses and could fire off 6 fps as standard but are a bit hard to get hold of second hand as they tend to get snapped up quickly I still cry at the thought of the one i lost when some unmentionable ******* broke into my car

yes i know processing is expensive but costs have dropped dramatically to compete with digital and if you wiegh this against printer ink and photo paper things start to even out you just have to swallow the cost of the naff shots you inevitably waste.
well thats my two pennorth anyway and OBVIOUSLY only my opinion.

Cheers matt
Old 23 October 2002, 06:17 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Thanks guys

I think I was going the SLR way, still it's reassuring to know that's the way others have gone too! I do like the idea of digital cameras but I'd never get round to printing the pics plus the cameras all seem too small and a bit tin pot even though they do give good results.

I've had the fence issue with the camera I have now, a poxy little point and press thing! My bruv has had it too with his digi video camera

Looking in the Argos book, the Cannon EOS 300 is £349.99 and only comes with a 28-90 lens but there's a Nikon F55 which comes with a 28-100 and a 70-300 lens for the same, £349.99, is that good then?

Are there reliability issues with camera's? To me £350 is quite a chunk at the moment especially as photography is relitively new to me. Then I spose if I use it and look after it, it should last a good while... right?

Cheers, Bob
Old 23 October 2002, 06:36 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Bob....i'd never buy something like that from Argos.Go to a proper camera shop,have a look at whats on offer and have a play.How a camera feels etc,is pretty important.You also want to have a try of the zoom lenses.Its important that your comfortable with them,as for motorsport you'll be using them a lot.

Also get a copy of "Which Camera",compare prices and use that to bargain them down.

Finally,as has been said you really need 2 lenses,a short/medium focus lens,28-80 (ish) and a longer lens 80-300 (ish).Common sense really.

On the reliability issue,my Canon been hassle free for over 4 years.Canon are also good on value.
Old 23 October 2002, 06:51 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

yeah, I'll end up buying the first one I look at if I go look at one.... I bought mi car like that

I see your point though.... I could always try one in a shop then buy it mail order if I find one cheaper

Who do you guys use for gettin prints done? My dad swears by Double print, you get two lots of prints...obviously! plus you get a free film, now I've used them a couple times and the prices are reasonsable, less than a fiver I think but I don't think the film you get back is owt special. Well put it this way, the pics I've got back using a Kodak shop and Advantix film whoop *** big time on my previous pics
Old 23 October 2002, 07:05 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

I see your point though.... I could always try one in a shop then buy it mail order if I find one cheaper
Or do a bit of price reasearch before you go and then ask the shop to match it.With a bit of persuasion i find most will.
Old 23 October 2002, 07:07 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I'm crap at haggling though

Just been to the Dixons website, dunno if this will work but.... http://www.dixons.co.uk/store/martpr...rison&number=2

Old 23 October 2002, 07:11 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

cool, it works

The EOS 300 with two lenses is looking favourite at the mo, I prefer the look of it even though it is cheaper!
Old 23 October 2002, 07:13 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Have a look here....Jessops are a pretty good store.

http://www.jessops.com/search/showca...0&type=intelli
Old 23 October 2002, 07:14 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

I'll have a look later....off for me tea now
Old 23 October 2002, 07:52 PM
Esoteric Beast
Scooby Regular

I have an Canon EOS30 and find it very easy to use with good results, also have a few lenses for it.

So have been out this afternoon and brought myself a Digital CanonD60 which will also take my EOS lenses, Jessops is were I got it but they are a bit hard to find as Jessops are doing 10% off till Sunday meaning I got 200 quid of the price so £1800 and the bloke throw in a bag and the adapter to load them onto my pc.
I do mainly Gothic and Fetish but at the lowest settings it will take 990 yes 990 pics on the Mediacard.

Beasty is a very happy chap