Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

MMR Vaccine

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2002, 02:27 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My Little Boy has just turned one and we've had the notification through for his MMR vaccine. My Wife and I, being mega concerned first time parents, have read around the subject and talked to friends but are still not 100% on whether to go down the single vaccine pr MMR routes. We get the impression there is no right or wrong on this one, just differing degrees of risk. We're erring towards taking the Little Chap down there next week and getting it done at the moment after having a long chat with a GP friend at the weekend.

Not the sort of thing to base a decision on after reading up on Scoobynet I know but I'd be interested in any comments on any fellow parents who've been through the same dilemma.

Greg
Old 21 October 2002, 02:32 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Uh-oh. I suspect this one could run & run.

Personally, I'd give my children the MMR vaccination. Nothing I've read yet would give me any motivation to put them at risk from these nasty viruses/diseases/illnesses, over and above the miniscule potential risk of autism (which still hasn't been proven conclusively, if it exists at all).

I think it's a call you'll have to make yourself - opinions on this will be as wide and varied as those on fox-hunting.
Old 21 October 2002, 02:38 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I really had no problem with the MMR vaccine at all. When Hollie needed it, she had it. I was more worried about the effects of the illnesses than the side effects there was supposed to be, if any.

Remember, it has not been proven as a link to autism, but then again, who's to say there isn't and there's a big cover-up going on.

It's your choice. Do your research.
Old 21 October 2002, 02:40 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Had to make this decision a while back. Due to complications with him when he was born, we decided not to give him the MMR. In the end, just to play it safe, we got him given Measels and Rubella seperately, about 2 months apart. Once we know he is stable he'll have the mumps but at the mo the doctors say its not worth doing.

Gave a friend of mine the details and he's now had his daughter done, again spread over a period of a couple of months. Yes they are immunised, but without having to go with the combined vacine which may or may not cause problems.
Old 21 October 2002, 02:51 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm told the single jab is no different than having 3 seperate.
Apparently with the single jab the vaccines take effect at different times.
We don't have to make this decision for a few months yet
Old 21 October 2002, 03:03 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Gonna be facing the same question pretty soon myself for our first kid. I'm not sure what to pick.

The one thing that's sticking in my head was Tony Blair saying that there was no link between MMR and autism but then refusing to say which he'd chosen for his sprog.

Think i might be inclined to choose the seperate jabs.
Old 21 October 2002, 03:32 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

Had to make the choice, went for the 3-in-1 MMR for both our kids. I accept there's probably some risk (though no-one seems to know why) but thought at the time that this was outweighed by the possibility of my kids catching mumps, measles, or rubella.

Doing the single jabs would have left them exposed for longer, so to our mind there was no question as to which was the best option.

Do what you think best for your kid, and hope for the best. 99.999% (or some massive number) of MMR jabs work out just fine. I just wouldn't want to be the parent of one of the 0.0001% children who end up suffering as a result.

bros
Old 21 October 2002, 03:32 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Our first child is 14 months now. We postponed the first MMR appointment, as we had not decided what we were going to do. After doing some research (mainly through the net) my opinion is that there is no benefit/reduced risk in having separate jabs. My wife and I need to discuss this further, but I've not seen anything to dissuade me from giving it to our daughter.
Old 21 October 2002, 04:26 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

I've got this decision approaching.. what worries me most is a lot of the crap you read for and against..

How prevalent is measles and rubella? I know that if everyone chose not to vacinate they would make a come back but at the moment if you were NOT immunised how big a life-threatening risk would you be taking? I know from experience that MUMPS is a pain.. but did anyone ever get mentall issues from having it.. Seems the vaccine 'may' be more dangerous than the illnesses themselves...

Need to read more..
Old 21 October 2002, 04:42 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Went for the three jabs seperatly for our daughter. The problem I had with MMR was that there may be a risk I don't think I could live with myself knowing there was an alternative if the unthinkable happened (coincidence or not).

In Europe the MMR is given much later around 18months, the single jabs at 13, 14.5 and 20.5 were not exposing to any greater risk, especially considering the important one (measles) is at 14.5 months.

The issue for me, is not vaccinate or not, but rather the safest way to vaccine. MarkO's comment summed up the attitude of the govt, that they assume if MMR is not given the alternative is not to vaccine at all.

Blair's reluctance to disclose was also a big factor.
Old 21 October 2002, 04:48 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

Blair's reluctance to disclose was also a big factor
I fail to see the relevance of this. The point he was making is that it's down to personal choice. He may well have chosen the MMr vaccine, but not wanted to influence people towards it. Who knows? Who really cares what he does?
Old 21 October 2002, 05:09 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

MarkO in this instance I care what Blair does as he may be in possession of information not in the public domain. Most people presume he is, so if he'd still gone for it this would be a good advert and make the decision easier for others.
Old 21 October 2002, 05:33 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Who cares? The same people who were forced to send their kids to comprehensives because the government told them it was better, while at the same time sending their own children to private schools.
Old 21 October 2002, 05:56 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Was in this position 12 months ago. Went for the 3 in 1 . Chances of illness from that are minute compared to chances of serious problems caused by measels etc (which are also minute).

And the 1 by 1 approach seems to me to leave your kid exposed to risk of catching one of the diseases for a longer period of time compared to having vaccine for all three at once.

Like I say we went for it. I decided there was a far greater chance of my son being eaten by an alligator than complications from MMR

just my 2p
Old 21 October 2002, 06:03 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

We had the same dilemma last year - went for MMR in the end.

Although I had reservation, my wife's a nurse and she thought it was OK.

Went for it - no problems.

All this hypre about XYZ..

Dan
Old 21 October 2002, 06:21 PM
TAZMAN
Scooby Regular

Both kids had the 3 in 1. As usual the media picks up a story and runs with it.. Like everything in life there is a risk but it is a small one, no comfort if you are the 1 in 5000 I know. But if we followed that principle we would not let our kids walk down the street. Knowledge can inhibit as well as provide freedom of choice.

Good luck with which ever path you choose

Fortune cookie mode OFF
Old 21 October 2002, 06:35 PM
nib
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Reasons to give MMR:

1) Recent reviews provide no scientific justification for offering three injections separately. In fact given separately will leave many children open to serious infections as immunity response delayed.
2) No published data that single vaccines are safer than combined.
3) Mumps less effective given alone. Single strain (Urabe) originally withdrawn in '92 due to higher risk of complications affecting brain. Single measles not tested or licensed for UK use. If complications occur goverment/manufacturer not liable.
4) No European country recommends single mumps, measles & rubella vaccines. France uses measles vaccine for older children. We give MMR @ 8 weeks.
5) MMR has caused a dramatic reduction in measles encephalitis in UK & USA. This is a dreadful complication, similar to CJD.
6) Moving from MMR to single vaccines has caused a dramatic rise in infections for Japan.
7) Single vaccines for rubella & measles used till recently, but no control of measles till MMR introduced in '98.
8) MMR vaccination does not appear to wane with time.
9) Measles infection can be a very serious infection with devastating consequences.

On balance any risk of MMR is far outweighed by benefit.

NIB.
Old 21 October 2002, 07:13 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Question

Any idea how much the invidual ones are?

Old 21 October 2002, 08:01 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

About £60.

I don't think it matters whether you go for one by one or all at once, so long as they are immunised.

[Edited by TaviaRS - 10/21/2002 8:03:05 PM]
Old 21 October 2002, 08:10 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Made the decision for the light of my life several months ago. 3 in 1 seemed an easy decision to make when you look at the side effects of some of the diseases it's preventing.
r
Old 21 October 2002, 10:38 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
Scooby Regular

Question

So am I being mis-informed? (read my above post)
Having the MMR jab doesn't give protection against each disease straight away, the effects gradually kick in ie. same protection as giving 3 jabs over a period of time. Some of you seem to have choosen MMR cause it gives immediate protection?
Only asking.....we'll have this decision to make in about 8 months.
Old 21 October 2002, 10:48 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Can’t help thinking it’s too much of an emotive decision for me to give ‘advice’ on. There’s loads of information you can get to read up on and make your own, informed, decision.
Good luck.
r
Old 22 October 2002, 08:36 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I may be wrong but are you not putting him at serious risk for his entire adult life ?

The diseases are far more dangerous for an adult than a child, but now that most people are immunised (via mmr or the seperates) he is highly unlikely to catch it as a child and so will be at constant risk later ?

Deano
(No kids so not had to dig too deeply on this one)
Old 22 October 2002, 10:39 AM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Thanks for some really interesting replies on this one Folks. This Forum is great for getting a a mixture of sane opinion's on stuff like this (and my Missus thinks we all just talk about 18" OZ wheels all day!). I think we are going to go through with the MMR providing my little one is feeling 100% healthy next week.

Greg
Old 22 October 2002, 11:45 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
My son had the MMR and the MMR booster and has been fine with both. I didn't want to put him through having more injections than was necessary. It's your decision ultimately.
Old 22 October 2002, 12:22 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Discussed this with my girlfriend last night and we agreed not to go for the MMR when the time comes (sprog is due this week).

We both had the seperate immunisations as babies and it worked fine for us... we don't see the point of doing it differently for our kid. The risk with MMR may be miniscule,insignificant or even coincidental but we can't help thinking 'what if?'.
Old 22 October 2002, 09:31 PM
BKS
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with nim on this one. The research performed on the MMR vaccine and link with autism is fundamentally floored. Not sure even how it got published. The fact of the matter is that the MMR vaccine protects against all three virus's earier ie you will produce an earlier and superior immune response to the MMR than you will to the 3 jabs separately. It could take up to 4-6 months to develop immunity to the 3 seperate jabs.

I for one do not have kids and i understand everyone has there own personal views and rights. Some protection is better than none. I unfortunately have seen a case of measles encephalitis and the child is lucky to be alive. Measles is a killer. What ever you do, make sure you get some sound medical advice before making any decisions.
Old 22 October 2002, 09:32 PM
BKS
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with nim on this one. The research performed on the MMR vaccine and link with autism is fundamentally floored. Not sure even how it got published. The fact of the matter is that the MMR vaccine protects against all three virus's earier ie you will produce an earlier and superior immune response to the MMR than you will to the 3 jabs separately. It could take up to 4-6 months to develop immunity to the 3 seperate jabs.

I for one do not have kids and i understand everyone has there own personal views and rights. Some protection is better than none. I unfortunately have seen a case of measles encephalitis and the child is lucky to be alive. Measles is a killer. What ever you do, make sure you get some sound medical advice before making any decisions.