Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do I got to extreme lengths to get the money I am owed?

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2002, 09:09 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JGM
Rather than call him I would go down to the Dealership and talk to him there, that way he'll know you mean business, the last place he will want to have this discussed it at the Dealership, put him on the spot a bit and make him unciomfortable.

Friendly but firm and leave him in no doubt as to your next course of action!

easy for me to say sat at my computer i know!

Good luck!

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 10/4/2002 9:11:31 AM]
Old 04 October 2002, 08:30 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Question

Right!

Last year I was involved in a minor accident.. the other person involved admitted liability and did not want to go through the insurance, which suited me too as although it was clearly their fault at the time with no witensses it would be likely to become an argument and I didn't want to risk my no claims. Also the damage to my bike and leathers only came to about 400 anyway.

So I took his name and address and mobile number and the reg or the car..

Got a quote for new leather trousers and new exhaust can for the bike and rang him up and it was similar to I had said at the time of the accident, about 400 (cannot remember exact figure now).

He then stalls a little and says he cannot pay until pay day at the end of the month..
I was a bit cheesed but a nice guy (perhaps too nice) and so agreed.. end of the month comes and I ring him and he stalls some more so I threaten insurance, where he squirms and a few calls are exchanged and he then admits it was a customers BMW and he works in a BMW dealers and so would not like the customer to know about the damage to their car (front bumper was hanging off and foglight removed from mounting, headlight surround smashed, and leather scrap marks all down the wing).
So this goes on and I then go on a two week holiday..
Come back and still no cheque in the post as promised and I ring him and he claims he cannot afford it and that we should go through the insurance...
At this point the car has been repaired and I have managed to repair leathers and ignoring the scrap on the exhaust..
don't want to risk no claims as bike is getting really expensive to insure as it is one of the highest grouping so swallow it as a lesson learned and vow that if involved in an accideent again that I will follow someone to a cashtil for the money or go through insurance from now on in..

A year later I am older and more tight fisted with my money and the bike is still scrapped and my leathers are just about still holding together.. and I want my money..

It is not my style to do anything illegal, and I hate dealings with money at the best of times.. anyone think I should try persuing it?

JGM
Old 04 October 2002, 08:41 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Angry

Shop him mate.
I'd approach him in the BMW garage and threaten to involve the Management.
If this fails, report to his management, and threaten them with a Small Claims Action (since he is in their employment at that time)
and to reveal this to the customer.

If all else fails, report this to the Police and the real owner of the BMW and raise the action.
Old 04 October 2002, 08:46 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

But the Police will say he offered to go through the insurance and I that I decided not to go any further?

I think I might have to pop into the dealers although it is out of my way now..

Wondering if the fact that he verbally agreed to pay me and an amount might be classed as a contract but obviously no witnesses etc..?

JGM

Old 04 October 2002, 08:54 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Question

Anyone know if and how I can obtain the customers name or address from the registation number?

Going in there with that information and threatening to inform them might help..

JGM
Old 04 October 2002, 08:57 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

JGM

Talk to this person give them 7 days to pay (or a post dated cheques) or let him know that you will be going to see the garage management to tell them what happenened rather than threaten him with plod. Also threaten him with going to the local paper to tell them what happened and how this person/garage treats customers cars - This will get a result.
Old 04 October 2002, 09:04 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sounds good idea, I shall ring him, although unfortunatly I don't have his phone number on me today.

A visit might be better to the BMW dealer ship as then he will realise I mean business.. just walk in and ask to speak to him might do the trick..

I suppose if it needs to go a step further the BMW dealer ship might get a bit annoyed with me stood outside explaining what happened to customers as they walk in..

Does make me wonder how many other customers cars have been damaged and repaired without there knowledge around the country.

JGM

Old 04 October 2002, 09:14 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

easy for me to say sat at my computer i know!
Easy for me to think about doing it sat here too..

Slightly annoyed that the one time I leave my book at home which has all the details in is the day that I am travelling back down south and going anywhere near the dealership until next weekend as I can only remember his first name.

Although I do wonder if he was more crafty and gave a fault name..

JGM
Old 04 October 2002, 10:00 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no because he would have given wrong number as well..

David
Old 04 October 2002, 10:00 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

JGM
Please mail me
Old 04 October 2002, 10:14 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

This is a really interesting thread.
Don't forget to post how it all comes out
Good luck,
Alcazar
Old 04 October 2002, 10:17 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Will do Alzcar...

either I shall walk in there like Arnie (a small version) in my leathers or wimp out..

Definitly going to do something just my time is important to me so want to spend a little time as I can sorting it..

Might have time to call into the dealers today.... know the guys first name..

JGM

Old 07 October 2002, 02:00 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Didn't get to go into the dealers as I suddenly realised how far I have to go out of my way.. and was in a rush to get home.

muddled which side of the M25 it is.. I travel Dartford Bridge to M1 weekly... and the dealers is completly the opposite..

Will find details tonight and ring or visit on Friday.. thought about writing but woouldn't know what to write without incriminating myself for sure.

JGM
Old 07 October 2002, 03:07 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Red face

Don't write anything unless you post it registered.
Expect no reply though.

Your best bet is to approach in person at the garage (assuming he still works there of course!), that way you can easily involve the management immediately should he cause trouble.
I would threaten with Police involvement as a last resort, but be prepared to carry this out !
Old 07 October 2002, 03:22 PM
bladerider
Scooby Regular

How about this one. The manager where I work knocked over my 5 month old bike causing 800 quid to repair. At first he didn't admit it until it was pointed out that the culprit would've been caught on camera. He said he'd pay for it himself until I gave him the quote. Then he was going to go through his insurance. I gave him my details and waited. After a few months had passed I confronted him about it and he told me there was no evidence to support my claim and he wasn't going to pay up. Well I'm a vindictive little sod and I'm patient enough to wait till he gets a new car.....get the picture. If all else fails I hope you don't have to resort to drastic measures like me.
Old 07 October 2002, 03:27 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

I would start with a formal letter, beginning with WITHOUT PREJUDICE and detailing again the facts about the accident, the phone calls the promises etc.

Request a payment within 7 working days, or you will be more than willing to take this further.

If nothing happens, contact his manager and explain again. Either by going down there and talking to him, or writing another letter. If you decide to go by Royal Mail - get it Recorded Delivery.

Hope it works out ok.

Mice.