Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

motorbike paintwork (dream machine, etc) ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2002, 08:49 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the process of rebuilding my vtr (came off last year, for the first time in about 8 years, and totally trashed the thing). Yesterday saw a complete strip down to get the subframe off as its a bit banana shaped...

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a decent paint job done - maybe Repsol colours (I had a cbr6 in repsol years ago, but i still think its the nicest looking paintwork).

So - any recommendations as to who to get to do this ? Dream Machine are the tried and tested, but (at least they used to be) expensive and have long lead times. It'd just be the two side fairing panels, very small headlight surround and the tail piece. I've a Moriwaki carbon undertray that i might get done too - it's pretty neat fibre, but looking a bit worn. And I usually just stick a Baglux over the tank, so Im not sure whether I'll bother getting that done either.

Preferably in the south east...

jon
Old 29 July 2002, 05:03 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jon

A mate of mine had the bodywork off his TL1000 repaired at dream machine after he dropped it and it wasn't a bad job (he has corona extra colours) there is a place in wycombe that does it but I don't have their number
Old 29 July 2002, 05:28 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

John.

Try having a flick through the advert sections at the back of the bike mags. If you want Repsol/Virgin 1/Corona/Telefonica, replica, all you need to do is have the base colour done, then get replica stickers made up to suit?

Any graphics place should be able to help out if you have detailed pictures? If you want to make it last longer, have it lacquered over the stickers.

Mike.
Old 29 July 2002, 07:09 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

A friend of mine used to help run a Performance Tuning shop and they had all sorts of problems with the quality of work (and cost) from Dream Machine. In their opinion, the work was not of high quality (which puzzled them as DM have a real good rep) and after several problems, gave up using them.

Sorry I don't have any alternatives but I guess if you have the bike in bits, you could use any spray shop that's got a good rep....

Matt
Old 29 July 2002, 07:23 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

P.S., If you haven't already, Please vote here for the bike forum....

Matt
Old 29 July 2002, 09:43 PM
jay-j
Scooby Regular

I have just got my helmet back from a firm called SPRAYPOINT in Southend on Sea, Essex, after having it custom sprayed, he also does custom paintwork to M/cycles. I only wish I could show you the work on my helmet it is brilliant, but I havent got the facilities to do so, but he is quite well known down this neck of the woods, the blokes name is Gary on 01702 600702.
Old 29 July 2002, 09:51 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

ta folks

I'm going to run through a few years of PB's readers specials and see what names stand out.

Re. Dream Machine - i guess its the problem with all the folk who are supposed to set the standard; they get too much work, everyone expects a stunning job which doesnt happen 100% of them time (for anybody), etc, etc

jay-j: i'll give them a call & see how it goes

jon
Old 29 July 2002, 11:56 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Jon,

(WARNING - This post contains very little detail)

There is a compnay up our way (North Gloucestershire) that does custom bike work. They did a load of bikes in one of the calenders for one of the bike mags. They also did the bike on the stand at one of the bike shows. The quality of the work is excellent.

Ok, I warned you, very little detail

Phone Powerstation, ask to talk to Nick. He can put you on to them, tell you what they are called, tell you what they do etc. (i.e. all of the details I totally failed to convey).

Cheers

Ian
Old 30 July 2002, 08:10 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Hmm another post with very little help in it follows....
Had my old R6 done in the Malboro colours by Dream Team, worth every penny. IMO resale was easier afterwards too because the buyer knew the paint was done by a 'pucker' company.
Chuck