Utter career change

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2022, 04:07 PM
Lozgti2
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Utter career change

Was a a lawyer. Got close to jumping off a building. Really

client of mine offered me massive career change. Drain surveys, inspections, repairs. And is paying for all the courses.

never been so happy in my life in fluorescent jacket and hard hat instead of a suit and nightmare clients. And getting covered in **** instead of listening to people spout it. And obviously angry people at the same time

Only reason for the thread, if you think you are stuck with what you do and cannot get out, you actually can. I feel human. Bacon sandwich with the lads then crack on. And everyone one of them is so much nicer than the pretentious ****** and judges I have had to deal with
The following 10 users liked this post by Lozgti2:
1509joe, coupe_20vt, fpan, hux309, JdmSti2006, johno01, LSherratt, RobsyUK, the shreksta, wrx300scooby and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08 January 2022, 04:22 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Good for you mate 👍

I’m a gas engineer and I’ve been in my current job for 3 years, it’s chalk and cheese compared to my other employers. These want quality rather than quantity so you can take your time to do it properly, the tenants are great to talk with. Previous employers gave me stupid amounts of work because it’s all about the profit margin.....

another happy human being here 👍
The following 3 users liked this post by johno01:
Old 08 January 2022, 06:27 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I went from working to staying at home and raised my children while the wife worked. It slowly became the worst thing I ever did but now working I feel incredible.
The following 2 users liked this post by RobsyUK:
Old 09 January 2022, 09:44 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Lozgti2

client of mine offered me massive career change. Drain surveys, inspections, repairs. And is paying for all the courses.

never been so happy in my life in fluorescent jacket and hard hat instead of a suit and nightmare clients. And getting covered in **** instead of listening to people spout it. And obviously angry people at the same time

Only reason for the thread, if you think you are stuck with what you do and cannot get out, you actually can. I feel human. Bacon sandwich with the lads then crack on. And everyone one of them is so much nicer than the pretentious ****** and judges I have had to deal with
I started a law degree, got out and became a Landscape gardener and designer, but still got pissed off with it after 3 decades. Now a self builder/project manager/ lime pointer/ labourer of listed buildings. Completely out of my comfort zone, but happy never to have worked in an office. Law seemed too much like dealing with other's problems and misery for a lifetime.
Glad you're in a good place mate.
The following 3 users liked this post by hedgecutter:
Old 09 January 2022, 10:27 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Good for you

For me, it wasn't a change of career, but change of country that made the difference, but either way it's important to be happy with what you do as well as where you do it!
The following 2 users liked this post by BMWhere?:
Old 09 January 2022, 02:00 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I’m also considering a career change as I’m a plasterer and am thinking of stopping it to do nothing 😀. Early retirement is getting higher on my list each day.
The following 2 users liked this post by stevebt:
Old 09 January 2022, 03:51 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
I’m also considering a career change as I’m a plasterer and am thinking of stopping it to do nothing 😀. Early retirement is getting higher on my list each day.
I took early retirement back in July after spending best part of 39 years on shifts with the same company, still getting used to avin a settled sleep routine and not living by the rules of a bloody alarm clockbut best thing i ever done, lot to be said for retiring at 55 whilst im still young and fit enough to enjoy life
The following 5 users liked this post by ted bass:
Old 10 January 2022, 02:28 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Lozgti2

I was wondering where you had been, youve not posted for a while, welcome back.

Last edited by lockheed; 10 January 2022 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10 January 2022, 03:14 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

Glad its worked out for you and thanks for posting, its not easy admitting sometimes that you need and change and even more difficult to share as publicly as this. Good for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rusti:
Old 10 January 2022, 05:34 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ted bass
I took early retirement back in July after spending best part of 39 years on shifts with the same company, still getting used to avin a settled sleep routine and not living by the rules of a bloody alarm clockbut best thing i ever done, lot to be said for retiring at 55 whilst im still young and fit enough to enjoy life
I'm 55 this year, and hoping to finish in December. Life's too short, unless you really, really love what you do
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr Fuji:
Old 10 January 2022, 05:56 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
I'm 55 this year, and hoping to finish in December. Life's too short, unless you really, really love what you do
Life is to short and it hammered it home on a couple of occasions last year when two ex colleagues both passed away in their mid 60's after working up to 62, poor buggers only had 2 or 3 yrs of retirement till they passed, at least retiring at 55 gives you hopefully a good few yrs to kick back and relax.
Old 10 January 2022, 06:02 PM
Lozgti2
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lockheed
I wondering where you had been, youve not posted for a while, welcome back.
Cheers my friend
The following users liked this post:
Old 10 January 2022, 07:48 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ted bass
Life is to short and it hammered it home on a couple of occasions last year when two ex colleagues both passed away in their mid 60's after working up to 62, poor buggers only had 2 or 3 yrs of retirement till they passed, at least retiring at 55 gives you hopefully a good few yrs to kick back and relax.
Nothing like a loved one or good friend dying to question your own mortality.
Old 10 January 2022, 08:05 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lockheed
Nothing like a loved one or good friend dying to question your own mortality.
Your right there fella, I've lost way to many mates from work the last 5 years who could of retired early but decided to work on for a few more yrs when they could of left, im just one of the lucky ones that had a final salary pension behind me so im able to get out at 55.