EARTH-CLIMATE WARS

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2008, 09:07 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EARTH-CLIMATE WARS

On BBC 2 now!

Watch this....no idea what the outcome will be at the moment but the first five minutes had Scientists agreeing that CO2 isn't making ANY effect on climate change and one guy said'

" Children all over the world are being scared to death by un founded, computor simulations that have no scientific background. Governments and the media should be ashamed of themselves!"
Old 14 September 2008, 09:49 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Carbon dioxide only forms a tiny portion of the earth's atmosphere, which is mostly nitrogen. From the government misinformation/spin you could be forgiven for thinking that it was taking over. No one ever mentions that without CO2 wed be living on an ice planet, like in Start Wars, but without the rebel base. Oh no, hold on, without carbon dioxide there'd be no carbon-based life!

Methane is a 'bigger' greenhouse gas, but its never mentioned..... I suppose that its easy to flummox 'people', because, for the most part, people are stupid.

Citizen Simon
Old 14 September 2008, 10:26 PM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Oh good, another programme promoting the views of a small minority of scientists in a sensational and highly selective way.

That'll really move the debate and understanding on.

Some people dont seem to understand how the scientific process works. Someone comes up with an idea, writes a paper and publishes it. Everyone wo reads the paper thinks of all the ways they can to prove it wrong and if they can't then it gets accepted and the scientists have their knowledge increased by a little bit. Repeat continuously and you have The Scientific Method.

That's not to say that the majority are ALWAYS right - sometimes they get it wrong but you have to have very good proof. If so, the scientists change their views and the path of progress moves in another direction.

Climate science is VERY difficult and complex. No-one should be posting 'science' in this thread (e.g. methane is a worse gas for climate change than CO2) unless they have a post doctorate in a relevant discipline. If, like me, you can understand the BASIC explanations and chemistry that they give but can't explain in more than 5000 words how to construct a model to predict long term trends in ocean warming (for example) then all you can go on is what you're told by the most qualified and greatest number of scientists in the field.

That view, is that CLIMATE CHANGE IS HAPPENING. Anything else is just your own prejudice meaning that you only want to listen to 'scientists' that say things that you want to hear that you can re-post verbatim on the web and then feel smug muttering something like 'damn tree hugging hippies and the government, just an excuse for higher taxes etc etc'.

Last edited by ahar; 14 September 2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 14 September 2008, 10:32 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The climate is dynamic. The Romans grew grapes in Northumberland and the Tudors skated on the Thames in winter. Both of these 'extremes' are far far beyond what we would consider to be norm now.

That the climate is changing is beyond doubt. What is far from proven is what is causing the climate to change; how much it will change, whether it can be stopped and whether we need to be concerned one way or another.
Old 15 September 2008, 02:50 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

I cant see how 30/40 years worth of data can be used to predict the goings on of a planet billions of years old, was it not 30 years agao they where saying we where facing the new ice age now where all gonna burn to death
Old 15 September 2008, 02:55 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

And last summer I sat atop a limestone cliff formed millions of years ago at the bottom of a tropical sea, 1000 feet above sea level in cold and rainy Yorkshire. The earth keeps spinning, we all go about our daily lives and stuff changes, slowly, but inexorably. The Sun continues to heat up, and the 'comfort zone' slowly gets pushed beyond our little planet giving us warmer summers (huh ) and there's sweet FA any of us can do about any of it.
Old 15 September 2008, 09:24 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Anyone else getting a wierd deja vu feeling. I'm sure I've heard this conversation before

Old 15 September 2008, 09:27 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I want to have ahar's babies
Old 15 September 2008, 09:33 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

If he's got jelly babies,I'll have one.

Not one of the pukey green ones though.I hate green.
Old 15 September 2008, 09:47 AM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
If he's got jelly babies,I'll have one.

Not one of the pukey green ones though.I hate green.
No problem - have scoffed all the green ones anyway. Only nasty orange ones left
Old 15 September 2008, 09:50 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Climate change = Milankovitch cycles

The government are arrogant enough to presume they know better about a subject that scientists and environMENTALists cannot agree on. Thats why they have increased our road tax based on unfounded research.

I reckon that's what the annual G8 talks are for. World leaders meet each year to tackle global challenges through discussion and action.
They are nothing more that politicians, so why are they allowed to dictate world policies such as ratifying the Kyoto agreement which is based on supposition.
Its all about making money and lining there own pockets. Where does all the money go that they're raking in with these so-called green taxes? Its certainly not exclusively going on funding research.
Old 15 September 2008, 09:57 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scunnered
environMENTALists
Genius!
Its all about making money and lining there own pockets. Where does all the money go that they're raking in with these so-called green taxes? Its certainly not exclusively going on funding research.
What do you mean lining thier own pockets? DO you think green taxes go into private bank accounts, then?
Old 15 September 2008, 09:59 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Scunnered, how, precisely, are world Government environmental policies at odds with the Milankovitch Cycles? In your own words?
Old 15 September 2008, 10:24 AM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Climate change = Milankovitch cycles
Dear oh dear of dear. Let me guess - you have a PhD in a climate related science?

The government are arrogant enough to presume they know better about a subject that scientists and environMENTALists cannot agree on. Thats why they have increased our road tax based on unfounded research.
Unfounded. Really. 20 years and some of the best minds in this area of science . Unfounded. As to 'scientists unable to agree' - do you know how the scientific method works?

I reckon that's what the annual G8 talks are for. World leaders meet each year to tackle global challenges through discussion and action.
Actually the G8 started (with less countries) as an informal chat away from the cameras and media about serious global political topics. Unfortunately it's now degenerated into nothing more than canned statements agreed before the meeting and a chance for presidents and prime ministers to compare political c**k size

They are nothing more that politicians, so why are they allowed to dictate world policies such as ratifying the Kyoto agreement which is based on supposition.
SUPPOSITION IS NOT SCIENCE. Theory, experiment, amend theory, gather data, move on. The Scientific Method. Go and google "The Enlightenment". I can also recommend a book called Counterknowledge by Damien Thompson

Don't mix the politics of taxes and the science of climate change. Politicians are B*stards - always have been and always will be.
Old 15 September 2008, 10:44 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ahar
Oh good, another programme promoting the views of a small minority of scientists in a sensational and highly selective way.

That'll really move the debate and understanding on.

Some people dont seem to understand how the scientific process works. Someone comes up with an idea, writes a paper and publishes it. Everyone wo reads the paper thinks of all the ways they can to prove it wrong and if they can't then it gets accepted and the scientists have their knowledge increased by a little bit. Repeat continuously and you have The Scientific Method.

That's not to say that the majority are ALWAYS right - sometimes they get it wrong but you have to have very good proof. If so, the scientists change their views and the path of progress moves in another direction.

Climate science is VERY difficult and complex. No-one should be posting 'science' in this thread (e.g. methane is a worse gas for climate change than CO2) unless they have a post doctorate in a relevant discipline. If, like me, you can understand the BASIC explanations and chemistry that they give but can't explain in more than 5000 words how to construct a model to predict long term trends in ocean warming (for example) then all you can go on is what you're told by the most qualified and greatest number of scientists in the field.

That view, is that CLIMATE CHANGE IS HAPPENING. Anything else is just your own prejudice meaning that you only want to listen to 'scientists' that say things that you want to hear that you can re-post verbatim on the web and then feel smug muttering something like 'damn tree hugging hippies and the government, just an excuse for higher taxes etc etc'.
No one is denying that we are undergoing climate change, just as has happened over the years in the past and is a matter of history. As you say climate is a complex subject all tha way down to forecasting tomorrow's weather.

Eminent scientists employed by the government have stated that excess CO2 is causing climate change due to it "greenhouse" effect. This has given the government the excuse to lay heavy taxes on us to counteract all this which they then proceed to "****" against the wall!

Other eminent scientists have said that CO2 is not causing global warming and that methane and also water vapour are far more effective at causing a green house effect!

Yet more eminent scientists have reported that global temperatures have not increased over the last 10 years or so and in fact it has even decreased recently.

What should we believe I ask myself? Isn't it really an example of cyclical change as has been reported in the past?

Les
Old 15 September 2008, 10:49 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Dear oh dear of dear. Let me guess - you have a PhD in a climate related science?

Unfounded. Really. 20 years and some of the best minds in this area of science . Unfounded. As to 'scientists unable to agree' - do you know how the scientific method works?

Actually the G8 started (with less countries) as an informal chat away from the cameras and media about serious global political topics. Unfortunately it's now degenerated into nothing more than canned statements agreed before the meeting and a chance for presidents and prime ministers to compare political c**k size

SUPPOSITION IS NOT SCIENCE. Theory, experiment, amend theory, gather data, move on. The Scientific Method. Go and google "The Enlightenment". I can also recommend a book called Counterknowledge by Damien Thompson

Don't mix the politics of taxes and the science of climate change. Politicians are B*stards - always have been and always will be.
Sorry, how is this rated a negative post. Any post that ends:

Politicians are B*stards - always have been and always will be

is OK by me!!
Old 15 September 2008, 10:58 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

ahar (which really sounds like a sockpuppet) - what are YOUR acedemic credentials then? You talk highly of the scientific principle and yet seem to have swallowed the MMGW agenda, despite there being huge documented problems with this agenda. Check out Home for just one example. And you simply cannot deny the predictions of Al Gore (think cherry picker in his mockumentary) et al simply have been proven 100% wrong, because as Les mentioned there has been cooling in the last 10 years. Surely it is reasonable to suggest that if the prediction went wrong so quickly, it has no merit and is not a good basis for taxation policy?!
Old 15 September 2008, 11:07 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Yep, I could go with this view...............if it wasn't for the FACT that those same scientists, and certainly a majority of them, were on TV five nights a week and in all the papers in the late 70's, telling us that we were going into the next ice-age.

We had the same doom sayers, the same programmes about how we'd all die out etc etc. I remember it well.

Well, all I can say is, either it passed VERY quickly, or they were all WRONG!
And if they were wrong then, they are quite likely wrong now.

Don't let's ever forget that these so-called scientist contain that VERY laerge number that can't even tell us what the weather will do TOMORROW with any degree of accuracy, let alone in 25, 50 or 100 years! And that's despite all their technology

Alcazar
Old 15 September 2008, 11:16 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

How about that man's influence has merely increased the unpredictability of climate change, leading to all these "facts" about being wrong? And that it's this very instability that world government policies are attempting to contain (if it's not too late already).
Old 15 September 2008, 11:37 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
How about that man's influence has merely increased the unpredictability of climate change, leading to all these "facts" about being wrong? And that it's this very instability that world government policies are attempting to contain (if it's not too late already).
Nice theory - unfortunately unprovable, therefore no basis for increased taxation
Old 15 September 2008, 11:43 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I'll reply before Klaatu stick his oar in about not having the "*****" to back up my theories or some such ****; what about what you actually SEE around you? Am i the only one who thinks things are getting just a little bit worrying? What would it take for you to concede that the rate of change is spiralling out of control - ten feet of water gushing through your house? What?
Old 15 September 2008, 11:51 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Not sure where this 10 feet of water is going to be coming from? Do you mean rising sea level, or flooding from rivers?
Old 15 September 2008, 11:54 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

From anywhere it's not supposed to have come from!!!
Old 15 September 2008, 11:56 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

what about what you actually SEE around you? Am i the only one who thinks things are getting just a little bit worrying?
Yeah the sooner we have a general election the better! (or was that not what you were talking about? )

What would it take for you to concede that the rate of change is spiralling out of control - ten feet of water gushing through your house? What?
Good question. The answer is, proof that any rate of change is higher now than 95% of earths history.

There is also an underlying assumption that the weather/climate/animal population/diversity now is at "optimum" levels, and any change will be detrimental to said optimum. This is simply not true. If things change they will be different, not better or worse. Some animals will do better, some will do worse, some will die out, some new ones will evolve. When that happens, will the new environment be "worse"? The amazon forests have only been around for 6000 years. Put things in perspective
Old 15 September 2008, 11:57 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Look the World's flat any excess water from melting ice will just flow over the edge, simple really.
Old 15 September 2008, 11:57 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

What about China and, to a lesser degree, India? If we really want to save the planet, then we will need to stop them in their tracks. If we go back to the dark ages immediately, how long will it take the Chinese to take up our slack?

This raises are far more pressing issue, but no one dares speak its name...
Old 15 September 2008, 12:04 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Yep, we get the India/China nod every "green" thread. And the answer continues to be; yes you're right, lots of countries are ignoring the issue, but does that give us the moral high-ground to take our ball home and refuse to play until they change? No, i don't think it does. Still.
Old 15 September 2008, 12:06 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by warrenm2
There is also an underlying assumption that the weather/climate/animal population/diversity now is at "optimum" levels, and any change will be detrimental to said optimum. This is simply not true. If things change they will be different, not better or worse. Some animals will do better, some will do worse, some will die out, some new ones will evolve. When that happens, will the new environment be "worse"? The amazon forests have only been around for 6000 years. Put things in perspective
Who is making that underlying assumption, apart from you, presumably?
Old 15 September 2008, 12:06 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Yep, we get the India/China nod every "green" thread.
We get the same arguments from both sides every single time this is covered (i.e. weekly). I'm as guilty as anyone else - Why does anyone think they are goign to convince anyone else? Posting in this thread is an excercise in futility. People here have made up thier minds, end of.

Quick Reply: EARTH-CLIMATE WARS