Online speed awareness courses?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2021, 11:17 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Online speed awareness courses?

Anyone done one?

And can you book anywhere even though you are miles away.

Reason for asking is that since they are online...technically I could attend any one in the country. As the prices vary by up to £10...I figured why should I pay £90 for a local one when I could pay £80 for one further away.

For the nosey: ninja bikecam hiding between a van and a wall on a downhill stretch, was coasting with a giant orange Ford Ranger up my ****; In hindsight should have brake tested the ****; No doubt he was travelling so close the camera didn't get his reg so he got away scott free .

My view v.s zoomed...no chance of spotting him in time....

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 May 2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 20 May 2021, 11:40 AM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Im afraid take juvenille delight in slowing down when peeps get this close in a 30 , and then driving on the their bumper when they are not keeping to NSL further down the road

its all form road rage , must grow up
Old 20 May 2021, 11:54 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I usually do the same. And TBH I think the speed they quoted me doing is wrong: 36mph actual is 39mph on my speedometer. I totally refute that I was doing 39mph indicated as the fastest I go on that stretch is 35mph indicated (due to downhill drift and I don't ride brakes hence 56,000miles on the same front brake pads ), 35mph indicated which is about 32 to 33mph actual.

But I really can't be arsed to argue about it. Next few times I see him on my way home I'll just park up safely either in his line of view or to slow traffic on that stretch (without causing a hazard or obstruction) and then make a few phone important phone calls from the passenger seat to HP technical support, maybe Virgin or the Inland Revenue; Usually takes 30mins on hold per call.

At least I won't be obstructing the footpath (soon to be illegal if it gets passed through the commons).

Just p*sses me off that we get LOTS of fair weather bikers and kids on those crappy Chinese singles/twins (upgraded from their mopeds) that always speed but never get caught owing to no front plates. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 May 2021 at 11:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 20 May 2021, 12:12 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

You should report the ninja Kojak with a Kodak for parking on the pavement and causing an obstruction to pedestrians with disabilities and prams.
Old 20 May 2021, 12:40 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Wurzel
You should report the ninja Kojak with a Kodak for parking on the pavement and causing an obstruction to pedestrians with disabilities and prams.

Checked the laws on that: It is actually still legal to park on pavements so long as there is space to get past (Except London).

The grey area on law is if a visually impaired pedestrian could be injured by the bike (caught my shin on the foot pegs of my own bikes enough times; only slightly less painful than a towing eye or treading on a plug ). And these 'safety camera' partnerships have an answers for everything: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...s_on_pavements

In other words you need to find a blind person and get him to walk into the bike/camera before they'll do anything about it!

There are attempts to make ALL pavement parking illegal, but the commons/lords vote last year got delayed when Corona kicked off
Old 20 May 2021, 01:20 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

That's a bummer; I thought I had a NIP on the way after a run on the A30 last month ( it must be one of the fastest, emptiest A roads in England out of holiday season, past Dartmoor) but nothing came. My last NIP was cancelled on a technicality too, so I've been lucky, but bike coppers always tend to throw the whole book at you, in my experience. Unfortunately you're ****ed in a 30 limit, for good reason, I guess. Been there myself, 37 in a 30 just popping out to get butter, pulling past parked cars.
Old 20 May 2021, 02:01 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I've done one, earlier in the yr, 34! in a 30 zone petty so and so's, dunno the bit about booking the course wherever ya like tho, all i'll say is it was 3 and a half hrs of my life i'll never get back​​​​ sat glued to my computer talking to an instructor and 7 other randoms ive never seen b4, ended up with a numb **** sitting there for that longonly good bit was a couple of the other poor souls in the group were very soft on the eye and made good viewing
Old 20 May 2021, 05:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Had a poke about on the NDORs thingy and some areas are like Hartlepool are £74 where others are over £90!

Tried booking but no slots until July where the more expensive ones via TTC can be had next week (albeit early start or slap bang in the middle of lunch ) so obviously I think others have cottoned onto this and already booked up the cheapest courses for the next month.

So bit the bullet and gone for a more expensive one which has a slot for next week.

We'll see if re-education changes me. My Golf won't cruise efficiently below 30mph... so fuel economy drops to low 20's...keep it above 30mph allows me to use overdrive gears (5th and 6th), so mpg jumps up above 30mpg (usually 31mpg, but can get 35mpg if I don't get caught at red lights). If I stick to 3rd/4th and sub 30mph, I'm looking at 24mpg. That's a commute cost difference of over £1.50 everyday...which quickly cancels out the cost of speeding fines and awareness courses. Maybe a Ninjacam awareness course is called for...or dust off my RD500 and use that to commute (not sure if the MPG on that is any better than the Golf but at least I won't get snapped ).
Old 21 May 2021, 11:02 AM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I did one on zoom a while back and found my self disagreeing with the patronising cow who was holding course, dont do this it will make it longer.
Old 21 May 2021, 11:51 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by lockheed
I did one on zoom a while back and found my self disagreeing with the patronising cow who was holding course, dont do this it will make it longer.
was she fit? I've never done one.
Old 21 May 2021, 12:20 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
was she fit? I've never done one.
Not the type that you would bring home to meet your parents
Old 22 May 2021, 07:18 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lockheed
yeah I made that mistake, showed us a photo of a country road with a sweeping bend on it. Asked us what the speed limit would be. "60" was the majority answer.
"No, this is in #### and just around this bend is a farm shop with a big open concrete yard out front. In 20## child ran out after a ball and was killed. If the driver was going slower the child may have survived"
I couldn't get him to see how ridiculous he sounded, as how is anyone supposed to know what's round ANY bend ? Should we just drive everywhere at 15mph just in case ? Sure even then you could still kill a child if it jumps out in front of you.
I'm aware of the dangers of speeding, but theres no point in spouting nonsense on the course. Fair enough if you get educated in some way but I came away none the wiser.
Old 22 May 2021, 07:42 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
yeah I made that mistake, showed us a photo of a country road with a sweeping bend on it. Asked us what the speed limit would be. "60" was the majority answer.
"No, this is in #### and just around this bend is a farm shop with a big open concrete yard out front. In 20## child ran out after a ball and was killed. If the driver was going slower the child may have survived"
I couldn't get him to see how ridiculous he sounded, as how is anyone supposed to know what's round ANY bend ? Should we just drive everywhere at 15mph just in case ? Sure even then you could still kill a child if it jumps out in front of you.
I'm aware of the dangers of speeding, but theres no point in spouting nonsense on the course. Fair enough if you get educated in some way but I came away none the wiser.
My condolences bud.
My course tutor (cow) tried to tell me in a 30mph you should be in 3rd and in 40mph you should be 4th but if you were doing your driving test youd be marked down for uneconomical use of the gears, without any knowledge of how many gears you have or how they are used.
I was going to mansplain how it actually works but thought better of it. 👍

Last edited by lockheed; 22 May 2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 22 May 2021, 08:15 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

But even if you should be going slower because of the road conditions the speed limit could still be 60! Sounds like a total waste of time to me designed purely to scold and not educate.
The following 2 users liked this post by RockyRoad:
Old 22 May 2021, 08:57 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Drive a VXR500 in 3rd at 30 then hit a pothole the jolt on the accelerator would leave tyre tracks for 100yards
Old 22 May 2021, 09:12 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Drive a VXR500 in 3rd at 30 then hit a pothole the jolt on the accelerator would leave tyre tracks for 100yards
I leave a steaming trench in 3rd and 4th depending on rpm. 🤣
Old 24 May 2021, 01:10 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I tend to try and drive at a speed that means I can stop in the distance I can see. This means I don't go around some corners anywhere near as fast as the car will go round the bend, but if I meet a horse, cyclist etc I know I can stop. It annoys some drivers behind me as you can easliy get a car round them at 60+ mph, but with hedges etc. blocking your view, it's not worth it. On the complete opposite of what you've said, I did a practice hazzard perception test, and clicked the button. When asked why, I said you could see buildings through the trees, so that means there is likely to be a entrance/exit around the next corner. I got told I was being ridiculous, so you can't win. Sadly, we measure road safety by numbers these days.
Old 25 May 2021, 08:12 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Doing it now: There's a woman with a giant tiger behind her in her dressing gown chewing on paper 🤣
Old 25 May 2021, 10:43 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Well that was a breeze; Old school advanced driving trainer, so chilled. Just needed to repress my inner smart **** and not glaze over on the boring/obvious bits.

Bar the old guy with a slow internet connection and stuck on mute and 'tiger woman' with the screaming brat. Oh the joys of zoom Still way way better than traipsing to a classroom.
Old 25 May 2021, 01:20 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Well that was a breeze; Old school advanced driving trainer, so chilled. Just needed to repress my inner smart **** and not glaze over on the boring/obvious bits.

Bar the old guy with a slow internet connection and stuck on mute and 'tiger woman' with the screaming brat. Oh the joys of zoom Still way way better than traipsing to a classroom.
prprobably as good a deterrent as anything 😂