Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

'Speed' cameras: donations to charity

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2003, 12:52 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I was reading the Sunday Times (Driving section) article on speed cameras this morning. It's good to see more publicity against the present absurd 'speed' camera system. Anyway, it got me thinking. Clearly there's little public confidence and very little public sympathy for the way the Partnerships are running things. So, I was wondering; what would regain credibility for the use of 'speed' cameras?

Charity. That's the solution, IMHO. How does this sound...? Instead of fines being ploughed back into local Police forces, etc - let all fines be donated to charity.

It doesn't address the issue of camera placement, etc - that's true. There's also the question of ensuring that donations are paid to bona fide charities. However, it might improve the current state of affairsa and regain some public trust/confidence.

What do you reckon... could it work?
Old 23 November 2003, 01:03 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

If you believe the cops, some/all of the money collected from fines is ploughed back into keeping the speed cameras running, so if this money went to charities instead the upkeep of the cameras would have to come out of other police funds.

G.
Old 23 November 2003, 01:06 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

NO

You could still drive from Glasgow to Inverness in the middle of the night, lose your license and your job despite driving safely and within the limits for the conditions.

Once you'd lost your license/job/house then it would be you needing the charity.

I can't see how that situation appeals to anyone.

You do make a valid point that the cameras are often positioned such that their only value is revenue generation and that the Scam£ra Partnerships are under a bit of pressure. I have seen a communicatioin recently relating to a complaint against the CPS. As you might be aware 2500 people we done in a 70 limit by a camera set for a 50 limit and the Partnership said they would not be contacting them!! Anyhow, the letter from the CPS implied that they had tried to get access to the information to reverse the prosecutions but the Partnership "policy" and denied them access. I bet there are people out there who lost their licenses and because of the actions of some trumped up little man in a partnership no one is allowed to tell them that they are actually in the clear.

Every camera should come down without question.
Old 23 November 2003, 01:52 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I'm not seeking to defend the current policies on (s)camera placement - they're clearly wrong.

My point is that it's easier to redirect the payment of fines (eventually) to charities, than to uproot thousands of Gatsos and move them to proper positions. I think people would be more supportive of fines going to charities than for their fines to go to purchasing more (s)cameras.