Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What are the laws/rules/regs on businesses burning stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2021, 09:22 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default What are the laws/rules/regs on businesses burning stuff?

Bit of a long shot this; Never know, someone may know...

Neighbour has a kiln drying firewood business on his land (semi-rural green belt area). The kilns are presumably powered by incinerator furnaces. Basically the chimneys are quite short (probably 1m above a typical height barn), and he's running them everyday (including sunday), at all hours including the night. Don't know what he's burning, but it chucks lots of grey/white smoke which sits low and engulfs the area depending on which way the wind blows.

Now first off, I'm new to the area so just took it as is, I'm partially protected by a bit of hill and some trees and only cop it when wind is in the wrong direction. So just lived with it and just ensured the washing isn't out drying when the wind is blowing from the East and had to install activated charcoal filters to my fresh air ventilation system (MVHR- so trickle vents are now sealed). Well the filters have had it now...should last 12months, but managed 6months and they can no longer filter the odour. Only £20 so I'm not too fussed, but not exactly great either.

Well, last week it's been pretty bad and I had a phone call from a neighbour up the road who is planning on taking action as apparently it's been going on for some time and the guy running the kilns is taking the p*ss and he's getting a group action of complaints together. I've since talked to other neighbours who cop the smoke alot more and when the kiln dryer has been confronted politely he refuses to do anything about it.

What I'd want to clarify before getting involved and putting my name down on petitions etc. (and potentially having a piles of waste wood dumped on my drive entrance; He's the sort to do that). Is what is legal and what isn't.

Particularly;
Times/Days of burning
Types of waste allowed to be burned (I think he's burning green wood).
Permits required (if any)
Regulation on Furnace/incinerator maintenance.
Chimney design/height in regards to avoid nuisance.

I've had a similar issue at work when a joinery factory next door was putting material containing glue and plastics (plywood/MDF/painted/laminated etc.) into their incinerator heater, pluming out black smoke and covering the surrounding area with ash... Complaints to the council resulted in nothing. So my guessing it's going to be the same here unless operating at unreasonable hours/days could provide leverage.

Any thoughts? I've looked at the regs on businesses burning stuff and it's not exactly plain.

I'd be particularly interested in which government departments worth directing complaints to. IMO, it needs someone official to inspect his operation to see exactly what's going on (for all we know he could have done a redneck conversion to burn waste oil, or the furnaces are totally f**ked). Beggars belief that 'clean' kiln dried wood is causing such a problem.

Old 18 April 2021, 10:06 AM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure you've already seen this but just in case...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nuisance...ith-complaints

Businesses, with some exceptions, fall under the same laws as households when creating "nuisance smoke".

From what you've described I don't think he would be exempt from these guidelines and should be investigated.
Old 18 April 2021, 10:34 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm in Northern Ireland so not sure if this applies either, but I complained about noise to my council about a neighbour in a residential street running a wood workshop in his garage/driveway (mainly driveway). Nail gun, compressor, ripsaw, sander, trade vacuum going all day 6days a week. Obviously on the side as its those stupid things u see advertised on Facebook to avoid the tax man, window boxes, wee wooden train shape planters all that crap.
Anyway, I'm venting, but basically they said to make a complaint I'd to give my details which he would see. Obviously I wasn't keen on that. He's an average fella, not a thug but still a neighbour that u don't really want bad blood between neighbours.
Just something to bear in mind or inquire about if your guy will know who complains if he's inclined to seek revenge !
Old 18 April 2021, 11:51 AM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Does the smoke go over a main road because I think there's a law against that apart from Sundays.
Old 18 April 2021, 01:46 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I thought the whole point of kiln dried wood was that it is dried in electric kilns with renewable electric, or with modern biomass boilers, which are species to current pollution regs. They sound like charcoal kilns.
I've no idea of regulations, but an operation involving smoke 24/7 near or in a residential area will definitely be covered by local council nuisance regs. As an ex landscape gardener, I've lit many bonfires, and if a nieghbour complained, a council official would normally turn up within a few hours; it wasn't illegal unless a nuisance was being caused.
Old 18 April 2021, 07:09 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

No help whatsoever but there's a local family around here that have "taken over" the heath, Crown Estate land and an SSI. No-one else, even with rights, puts their animals up there as they either disappear or come into contact with their scabby sheep/cattle/horses with obvious consequences. No-one is allowed to cut the heath for fodder but you can see large stretches where this has obviously happened and there's not a lot of heather left. The other thing that happens is random fires. Yesterday there was a massive one and consumed 100 acres or more. Obviously that kills off more heather and will be replaced with grazeable grass. No proof but everyone knows what's going on.
Old 18 April 2021, 07:42 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
Default EPA act 1990

https://www.environmental-protection...tion-nuisance/
Old 19 April 2021, 09:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Thanks guys.

Seems as I expected it's a issue for the council. Had a natter today with my neighbour up. And apparently the kiln dryer is having a tidy up around a his compound so they reckon he's preparing for a 'visit'. He's not stupid so if he gets wind something going on, he'll clean up his operation then return to his usual habit.

We're agreed he's burning green wood. And he fires up the kiln heaters at night so not to get caught as obviously nobody official is working after hours and you can't video/photograph smoke in the dark! He's also as tight as they come so will do anything to save a few quid, and known as the local 'bully' (not my words).

Still a bit wary on putting my name on anything; I'm about to put a planning application in on a extension, so rather not have a tit-for-tat objection.

Don't want to him shut down; Just only run the kilns during business hours and not weekends....and not burn green wood!

Last edited by ALi-B; 19 April 2021 at 10:00 PM.
Old 19 April 2021, 10:11 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

It's the "putting your name to it" is the bit that put me off complaining. It seems strange to me, I said "send someone round and they'll see for themselves and they can put their name down" but council weren't having it 😂
Old 26 April 2021, 01:22 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Might be worth a chat with the Council's environmental health officer (EHO) as the pollution he's causing may not be legal. You could also take a look at the planning application / grant of consent he has for building and operating the kiln. The consent will probably come with conditions that stipulate certain operational requirements / curfews.