Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Starting up a new IT business on your own...

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2004, 04:47 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starting up a new IT business on your own...

Going off at a tangent from the "Changing careers" thread...

I have always wondered about starting up a business on my own, but would never be able to take the risk of not getting a steady income.

However, I was made redundant at the end of last month, and the payout is enough to last a few months without any income at all.

This is the perfect chance for me to go out there and give it a go.

Only thing is, now I've called my own bluff, I'm a bit scared. Not of actually doing the work (IT for small companies), but scared of actually going out there and getting the work. I'm no salesman - so how did others who've had the ***** to do this get on - what did you do?

Is it a case of cold calling? I would have thought that most mail shots would end up in the bin. Can't see advertising on the internet doing much either. How do I even know if, and what these companies would be willing to pay? I'd have thought if you aimed too low, they'd assume you were cr4p, and too high - you'd get nothing.

The easy way out of this is to go contracting (if I can get something!!!) though I would far prefer to work for myself.

Is there any advice out there on this sort of thing, or is it suck it and see?
Old 19 October 2004, 04:56 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Like many trades, word of mouth and reputation counts for a lot.

what type of work is it ?
development ? support ?

TBH you don't seem too sure of your market - you don't know who is going to give you work or what the going rate is. Maybe try some short term contracts and build up a base of contacts.
Old 19 October 2004, 05:09 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cold Turkey
Like many trades, word of mouth and reputation counts for a lot.

what type of work is it ?
development ? support ?

TBH you don't seem too sure of your market - you don't know who is going to give you work or what the going rate is. Maybe try some short term contracts and build up a base of contacts.
It'd be Techie Support / System Admin / DBA........ You're right - I haven't got a clue about my market. I think you're right about "word of mouth" too - it's just getting the first few thats the problem. May well be a good idea to build up some contacts through contracting.
Old 19 October 2004, 06:18 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Trouble is there are sh*tloads of geeks out there trying to do excatly the sort of stuff that you are thinking of. Unless you can get yourself a decent relationship with a prosperous small business (or ideally a few small businesses), you are going to have a hard time getting off the ground. Doing support as a one man band is also hard, as if businesses are depending on you they will want solutions PDQ when something goes wrong, but you can only be one place at a time.
Old 19 October 2004, 08:08 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I'm a few months into doing this myself, when I figure it out, I'll let you know

Seriously, it's about getting yourself out there and making contacts even if it doesn't bring you any work immediately, just make a few cold calls a day and back them up with a letter then a follow up call in a few months.

Contacts can be funny things, I've even got work through this site because of a conversation had about 3 years ago! (Still owe ChrisB a pint or 3 )