Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Would you be happy with a lower spec car @ lower price or not?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2021, 07:10 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default Would you be happy with a lower spec car @ lower price or not?

hi guys hope everyone is safe and well

been a while since i logged on here as i sold my impreza last july. i am about to finally buy a bmw f10 m5 and i have a dilemma, i have found an absolute gorgeous example with low miles and full correct service history with correct running in service completed on time. it has just been serviced by bmw, has had new pads all round and new tyres/refurbished wheels and new brake fluid.mot history is good,its a stunner HOWEVER it has **** all extra options apart from tinted windows/aluminium trace interior and the wheels i prefer 343m wheels 20"

ive only sent a few questions about it and they are all over me about it, its just dropped £3.5k this weekend.
the sales guy just rang me to talk numbers and i told him i wasnt happy with them to which he replied that he forgot to mention GAP insurance was in with the price.
as its a buyers market at the minute im hoping to really put the squeeze on him to see how low he will go. both the manager and the sales guy have contacted me saying they would like to improve this months figures and if there is anything they can do i should just ask them.
im going to push for an extra years

its already a good £9k below a similar model that has alot of the favorite options and has similar mileage.
should i take a good £10k saving knowing that it has a really good service history and pretty much unmarked OR would i be kicking myself that i didnt spend the extra for options i may/may not use

i also have another dealership bombarding me with questions as ive sent an enquiry regarding an m5 they have, currently it is £8k more than the cheaper one BUT has many nice options,is a year newer and has 13k less mileage on it.

these cars are all at bmw dealerships

thoughts please guys as my head is clouded over now
Old 25 January 2021, 07:52 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

You’ve been talking about buying that m5 for about three years now lol
Old 25 January 2021, 07:52 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Can’t help but I had a f90 m5 as a courtesy car when mine had its first mot and wow, I want one lol.
but imo hud and a good sound system and lci is probably the bare minimum you need.
Old 25 January 2021, 07:54 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Can’t help but I had a f90 m5 as a courtesy car when mine had its first mot and wow, I want one lol.
but imo hud and a good sound system and lci is probably the bare minimum you need.
i hope to upgrade to f90 in a few years. HUD is standard on f10 m5. it is an lci model as its a 15 plate and it has just a normal sound system.
fecking lovely though
Old 25 January 2021, 07:55 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
You’ve been talking about buying that m5 for about three years now lol
lol tell me about it, good things come to those who wait + stupid marriage rinsed all my funds last year lol
Old 25 January 2021, 08:09 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Well we did buy a F07 530d GT SE with a pretty run of the mill spec (including the obligatory bigger alloys that most low spec 'off the peg' pre-reg BMWs always have).

Long story short swapped it for a F07 535d GT Luxury with most of the extras...8way comfort electric seats in the front AND BACK (rare option), adaptive dampers, 360degree cameras, harmon kardon, winter pack amongst other stuff and the only standard item: The smaller wheels.

Both cars were like chalk and cheese to drive; The ride on the big wheels with non adaptive shocks was terrible. It was worth swapping the car just for that, but the comfort seats and other bits just made it a nicer car. Thing is both cars were similar money.

Now my other car is a MkV R32 and the only extra it had was the wingback seats. I've since retrofitted a lot of bits that it should had from the factory; Cruise control, steering radio controls, sat nav, sound system, reverse sensors, reverse camera, auxiliary heater. That car originally was the cheapest R32 on the forecourt.

So I guess, a) what option is it missing that you want....and b) can it be retrofitted?

You could even see if the dealer could work it into the deal.

Old 25 January 2021, 09:07 PM
pjarvis6666
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi, if it was my daily - i would want all the options and more but if it was just a weekend toy/not used much then i wouldn't be bothered with any of the toys etc.

I have a well speeced car for my daily - carplay, upgraded stereo, heated s/w, seats, cruise, radar , hud, adapive stuff etc and then when i get into the weekend scoob - just a single din old skool alpine and not much else but this puts a smile on my face everytime.

Ive been in a few m5's and they are great cars.
Old 26 January 2021, 04:16 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Well we did buy a F07 530d GT SE with a pretty run of the mill spec (including the obligatory bigger alloys that most low spec 'off the peg' pre-reg BMWs always have).

Long story short swapped it for a F07 535d GT Luxury with most of the extras...8way comfort electric seats in the front AND BACK (rare option), adaptive dampers, 360degree cameras, harmon kardon, winter pack amongst other stuff and the only standard item: The smaller wheels.

Both cars were like chalk and cheese to drive; The ride on the big wheels with non adaptive shocks was terrible. It was worth swapping the car just for that, but the comfort seats and other bits just made it a nicer car. Thing is both cars were similar money.

Now my other car is a MkV R32 and the only extra it had was the wingback seats. I've since retrofitted a lot of bits that it should had from the factory; Cruise control, steering radio controls, sat nav, sound system, reverse sensors, reverse camera, auxiliary heater. That car originally was the cheapest R32 on the forecourt.

So I guess, a) what option is it missing that you want....and b) can it be retrofitted?

You could even see if the dealer could work it into the deal.
the only option I would have liked is the competition package and maybe harmon kardon stereo.
for the low miles I will do in the car I suppose I can live without
Old 28 January 2021, 12:41 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

@the shreksta hope you're doing well mate, mentally and physically.

Just my 2p worth make a list of the optional extras you want and need. Then look at whats missing from that list and then check if any of that can be added. So for example if you want the factory navigation and it doesn't have it can you upgrade it with an android headunit.

Thing is you will be driving it so it has to meet your own comfort requirements, these can change and only you know your prefrences. The saving you're making is significant but will you be able to add the things you want without eating too much into that saving. Also is the compromise worth it.
Old 28 January 2021, 07:44 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I'd offer something ridiculously low. Worst case is that they will say no.
Old 28 January 2021, 08:34 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
I'd offer something ridiculously low. Worst case is that they will say no.
already have done but they said no so I left it at that,apparently 5 other people were interested in it (if that's the case why were they ringing me everyday lol)

Will see what happens,I've asked for 2 years warranty and they said they are not allowed to do that but i call bull****
on that as it states a minimum of 1 years warranty not a maximum of 1 year.
I'm not desperate to get one so the ***** in my court.
Old 28 January 2021, 09:02 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

This is the car I'm looking at

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...2-90b175f95613

Old 28 January 2021, 10:44 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Only you can decide what options you want, and personally I would look at options that change the way the car drives eg suspension/chassis, motor etc. However, options are definitely important for resale, despite many being gimmicks .
Mind you, I used to think heated seats were a gimmick before I destroyed my spine, so what do I know.
Glad you're moving forward with it at last, but don't be a stranger.
Old 28 January 2021, 07:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Heated seats plus auxiliary air heater = bliss at this time of year. That said for a 3.2litre engine it took ages to blow warm before fitting this (I even replaced the thermostat and matrix, which made zero difference), my 1982 Polo would be blowing warm as soon as I got to the bottom of the street, this is blowing warmish as I pull off the drive!

Next upgrade is the gasoline pre-heater (never fitted to UK spec cars), to preheat the car and engine before driving. I can get them from Eastern Europe with the coolant hoses, but not sure on how to plumb in the fuel lines or enable the remote 'telestart'. I'll work it out one day.

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 January 2021 at 07:04 PM.
Old 28 January 2021, 07:17 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Only you can decide what options you want, and personally I would look at options that change the way the car drives eg suspension/chassis, motor etc. However, options are definitely important for resale, despite many being gimmicks .
Mind you, I used to think heated seats were a gimmick before I destroyed my spine, so what do I know.
Glad you're moving forward with it at last, but don't be a stranger.
thanks buddy,i wont be a stranger i like this forum and nearly all of the members seem fine

the silver one has sold so im on the lookout again, i have seen this one just down the road but i dont like the chrome trim,suppose i could get it wrapped though

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...e-6ccfe47eedf2
Old 28 January 2021, 07:58 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

What tbe hell is 'Smokers package' ?

Old 28 January 2021, 08:31 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

An ashtray and and a cigarette lighter in place of a storage compartment and a 12v socket cover ?
Old 28 January 2021, 08:51 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVoices
An ashtray and and a cigarette lighter in place of a storage compartment and a 12v socket cover ?
I haven't had a vehicle in over 10 years with an ashtray.

Who in the right mind smoke these days, Totally antisocial, personally irresponsible activity
Old 28 January 2021, 10:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Plus a pipe and slippers in the glovebox
Old 29 January 2021, 04:31 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you like it Shreksta get it, my only rule I have when buying a car is the Wheels need to look right, wheels make or destroy a car in my book, so if you find the ones you want 2nd hand save your money and just beg them later, pop some winters on spares then. As you say mechanically it sounds spot on...

As for Toys, yeah there fun, and my new car has a lot of them, but lets be honest as long as the stereo sounds good all the other stuff is just fluff
The following users liked this post:
Old 29 January 2021, 06:23 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Indeed they do: But avoid diamond polished otherwise they'll look shyte after a few years if the car ever goes out in the winter...even when you take care of them a slight stone chip and the white worm creeps in. They have to be re-ground to get them back to new, and you can only do it so many times if the pitting is too deep. Better off with chrome-effect powder coat.
Old 29 January 2021, 08:12 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Well you can buy some plug n play amps for them which is night n day sound so easy fix
Old 29 January 2021, 09:32 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Plus a pipe and slippers in the glovebox
Standard equipment on my Jags !
Old 30 January 2021, 11:12 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Standard equipment on my Jags !
I thought they all came with moustache wax!
Old 30 January 2021, 02:32 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They standard seats in this one? Some of them have different seats and not pleated?
Old 30 January 2021, 05:52 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sonic93
They standard seats in this one? Some of them have different seats and not pleated?
the black one i listed has the M-multi function seat which is the option seat, the silver car i listed has the std seat