Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Want a BMW 330d?

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2002, 02:38 PM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Time to change the motor and quite fancy a BMW 330d but don’t know if I can afford one? Don’t seem to be many good ones around and all dealers seem to be charging a fortune for them and being typically arrogant BMW salesmen, not prepared to budge an inch.

How much are the earlier ones going for on the 2nd hand market? Don’t really want a bargain, poverty spec one but can’t afford the £24/25k dealers are trying to fleece me for

Also, anyone tried an auto? Done a few searches on here and it always gets good write ups as a manual, but I really fancy an autobox. I know it makes it more expensive but just fancy a change and with such a torquey engine I’m sure an auto would be a good bet???

Maybe I’m growing up at long last

Thanks - Dave
Old 14 October 2002, 02:46 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Dave

Scoobynets resident 330d owner here! LOL

I've only had the manual versions, but do hear that the auto box is meant to suit the engine characteristics even better. Most of the 330d's for sale appear to be automatic. Go for the Sport option like I did, as it adds wheels, bodykit, sports seats, suspension etc to the standard SE.

There are a few for sale if you do a search on the bmw.co.uk website and search nationwide for a model. That's how I found my second one.

Good luck with your search, and I know of 4 P1 owners who now have 330d's and are very happy!

Matt
Old 14 October 2002, 06:23 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Dave, the 330d auto is superb. I bought mine in preference to a 330 petrol and 330d manual, as with so much torque, you really can’t feel the car changing gear whereas the petrol tended to hunt for a gear a bit too much. The auto really suits the car as a relaxed cruiser, but obviously loses some of the ‘drivers edge’.

The sport as Matt says is great (especially the MY2002 onwards which get the M3 bumper), and I would have gone for that had they done a sport version of my car at the time, but for a relaxed mile-muncher it suits very well, and the only sport I drove was firmer, had better turn-in but suffered on motorway and over rougher road surfaces.

Running costs are very low. I get 500-550 miles per £45 tankful. Rear tyres last c30000 miles, fronts almost 50k brake pads lasted 50000 miles although I was advised to replace discs at the same time.

Servicing has been oil service (c£90) at 13000, half service (c£150) at 25000, another oil service at 37000 and just had its first full service (£270) at 50000, next oil service due at c64000.

As to finding one…. Mine is soon to be up for sale (planning nearer end of year but could move earlier)

Mine is a touring (Estate), is quite a high spec and has slightly above average mileage (20k per year) but that’s nothing for an oil burner – only just run in diesels run and run and….

My car is..

BMW 330d SE Touring Auto
May 2000 (W)
Metallic Silver, Beige Leather interior
51000 miles
Full BMW Service History

Spec..
• Auto gearbox (steptronic)
• Full Leather trim
• Xenon Lights (auto levelling)
• 17” ‘Star’ Alloy Wheels
• Auto Climate Control
• Electric Sunroof
• Wood trim
• Trip computer
• Privacy glass
• White indicator pack
• Electric windows f/r
• Headlamp wash
• Auto windscreen wipers
• Auto-dip rear view mirror
• 6 CD auto changer
• ASC (traction control)

As mentioned above, it has just had a full service, and recently had 4 new tyres and new brake pads/discs all round. Tax til Feb ‘02

Car cost almost £35k when new Have been offered £20k p/x so far, so would be looking £20/21k when I come to part with it….!

[Edited by GaryC - 10/14/2002 6:26:05 PM]