Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tommy Robinson -Oxford Union Address

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2019, 09:25 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Well it sounds like youre suggesting he has a different character , under his real name
I think he wants people to believe he's created a new "him" in the new name. Someone who has been created to fight their battles, the subjects no one else wants to touch. I'm not convinced he believes some of what he talks about, but he's an actor in a political game and again, I've said this before, I'm yet to see anyone really put him in his place in a debate. Everyone goes back to this racist card, which they then can't substantiate and when challenged on that, we get the "look at his history" which as far as I can see, has him as a thug, but not a racist.

Calling someone racist because they associate with others who are racist isn't good enough in my opinion. I watch his videos, but I couldn't be further from a racist. I'm not even against Islam, I support everyones right to express their beliefs, but I do agree that no one, even those born into cultures, should be forced to live a certain way and that's where he does speak some sense.
Old 21 July 2019, 09:55 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Because that's his legal name and they are obliged to use it. Tommy Robinson is only an alias that he chooses to use and has no legal standing. If you want to search to legal documents regarding his court case, then you need to use his real name. Of they don't print his real name, then it may be difficult to find such legal documents.

You can also look at it another way, why does he need to use an alias?
However what makes this so unique to the many articles printed of politicians, actors, musicians etc? This is pretty much every time he is mentioned, not when it involves legal wrangling, but just in general reporting when he’s at marches or preaching on a soapbox, it’s even done in the generic blitherings you find in the opinion columns. We often see reports involving a actor, musician, celebrity etc...most have stage names and rarely if ever their actual name is used in general reporting. Even when it’s involves legal convictions...

Case in point, let’s take a typical example...

Katie Price in court and convicted of drunk driving (again), reporting on her being in court etc...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...time-this-year

You can google her full name.

Then we have ‘Tommy’ in a typical non-news opinion column about milkshakes...not news, just opinion based on previous news, no courts, no convictions, just commentary: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...tommy-robinson

’Alexander’ Johnson in the court case about his £350million claim, it’s a legal wrangling specifically targeting Boris, yet omits his full name: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-brexit-claims
Old 21 July 2019, 11:37 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

It's because the Guardian, and a lot of other media, wish to diminish his credibility, and suggest he's a fake and a fraud.
I'm more interested in who's behind him than the character.
Old 22 July 2019, 07:32 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

In fairness the red tops also do it, although I’m pretty certain he’s riled them up the wrong way after going legal on them for over hounding his missus and kids.

I have admit there lies a hypocrisy when they complain about him doorstepping members of the press and media when it’s the same tactic they use when confronting their targets. Take Panorama’s confrontation tactics as a prime example of what’s common place under the pretence of ‘giving them the opportunity to give their side of the story’.
Old 23 July 2019, 03:49 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
In fairness the red tops also do it, although I’m pretty certain he’s riled them up the wrong way after going legal on them for over hounding his missus and kids.

I have admit there lies a hypocrisy when they complain about him doorstepping members of the press and media when it’s the same tactic they use when confronting their targets. Take Panorama’s confrontation tactics as a prime example of what’s common place under the pretence of ‘giving them the opportunity to give their side of the story’.
Can't argue with that, and he's never threatening, he records them all. Much less intimidating than the standard press.
Old 23 July 2019, 06:24 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

much as i hate to bring it up-tommy and his cronies are incensed that muslim pakistani men were preying on vulnerable young girls,,,,if you,ve got daughters and half a heart the race element is hard to dismiss -if you dont feel it yourself it,s hard to make you feel any empathy for them or presumably any one else in such a position-
those young girls were let down by the entire system and left with mental and physical scars that will probably never heal.

By completely shutting down the argument and discussion by calling indivduals racist is one of the reasons that very well intentioned people were reluctant to do anything for many years -

its a point of fact that the anger created by these events will manifest itself in people like tommy robinson show boating to publicise them- the naming/shaming of defendants around the court during the trial serves no purpose other than to inform lags in prison what crime the bloke next to you has done,,,,lots of violence can be meeted out to paedophiles in prison .
i often wonder how rascist tommy would seem if it was YOUR daughter that had been raped /assaulted by grown men-
seems lots of you are losing sight of the horrific crimes that were commited to school children - the point that one very angry white english bloke would publicise it(badly) is completely missing the point imo
Old 23 July 2019, 06:30 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madwrx
much as i hate to bring it up-tommy and his cronies are incensed that muslim pakistani men were preying on vulnerable young girls,,,,if you,ve got daughters and half a heart the race element is hard to dismiss -if you dont feel it yourself it,s hard to make you feel any empathy for them or presumably any one else in such a position-
those young girls were let down by the entire system and left with mental and physical scars that will probably never heal.

By completely shutting down the argument and discussion by calling indivduals racist is one of the reasons that very well intentioned people were reluctant to do anything for many years -

its a point of fact that the anger created by these events will manifest itself in people like tommy robinson show boating to publicise them- the naming/shaming of defendants around the court during the trial serves no purpose other than to inform lags in prison what crime the bloke next to you has done,,,,lots of violence can be meeted out to paedophiles in prison .
i often wonder how rascist tommy would seem if it was YOUR daughter that had been raped /assaulted by grown men-
seems lots of you are losing sight of the horrific crimes that were commited to school children - the point that one very angry white english bloke would publicise it(badly) is completely missing the point imo
I'm going to get in before the "we hate Tommy" team start.

I think the argument against this, would be the number of white child sex offenders, BUT the % of the Muslim population Vs the % of these attackers being Muslim is difficult to ignore and it's fact, that Islam doesn't have a great track record against women.

Tommy is highlighting an issue that people are scared to expose due to being labelled, but at the same time his reputation damages the credibility of the facts.
Old 23 July 2019, 09:27 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

i rather think a large number of organised white offenders targetting muslim girls would have been sorted out via the relevant authorities much sooner - they just were,nt seen as credible witnesses-
Old 23 July 2019, 09:32 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madwrx
i rather think a large number of organised white offenders targetting muslim girls would have been sorted out via the relevant authorities much sooner - they just were,nt seen as credible witnesses-
It would be interesting to see the source of his facts.
Old 23 July 2019, 10:17 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I'm going to get in before the "we hate Tommy" team start.

I think the argument against this, would be the number of white child sex offenders, BUT the % of the Muslim population Vs the % of these attackers being Muslim is difficult to ignore and it's fact, that Islam doesn't have a great track record against women.

Tommy is highlighting an issue that people are scared to expose due to being labelled, but at the same time his reputation damages the credibility of the facts.
The problem is equating sex offences committed by men of Pakistani origin with being Muslim. These people are criminals and nonces, They come from a community that is largely Muslim, but to suggest that they commit these crimes because they're Muslim is wrong and divisive. Do we vilify all christians because of the actions of catholic clergy?
In the Rotherham case, the failures of police and social services may well have been partly because of confusion over exactly what racism is or isn't, but I'm sure that's only part of the story. The fact that crimes like these can happen undetected under our noses in our communities points to a systemic failure. If this issue is really what "Tommy Robinson" is about, then he should get on with it properly, and not cosy up to the Breitbarters with their belief that Islam is going to take over the world, and Britain has already fallen and all that crap.
Old 23 July 2019, 10:19 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sad Weevil
The problem is equating sex offences committed by men of Pakistani origin with being Muslim. These people are criminals and nonces, They come from a community that is largely Muslim, but to suggest that they commit these crimes because they're Muslim is wrong and divisive. Do we vilify all christians because of the actions of catholic clergy?
In the Rotherham case, the failures of police and social services may well have been partly because of confusion over exactly what racism is or isn't, but I'm sure that's only part of the story. The fact that crimes like these can happen undetected under our noses in our communities points to a systemic failure. If this issue is really what "Tommy Robinson" is about, then he should get on with it properly, and not cosy up to the Breitbarters with their belief that Islam is going to take over the world, and Britain has already fallen and all that crap.
Not disagreeing with anything you said, but none of that makes him racist ..
Old 23 July 2019, 11:21 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Not disagreeing with anything you said, but none of that makes him racist ..
I've never suggested he's a racist. Vast numbers of his followers here and in the US are though, and they think he's a martyr and saviour. Check out any story on Breitbart.com that's about "Khan's London" and read the comments. This is why a lot of people are anti-tommy.
Old 24 July 2019, 07:03 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Sad Weevil
Therein lie the issue. The problem is lack of detection, deterrent and punishment closely followed by allowing folk to reside in our country without properly acknowledging and obeying our laws, but not integrating or adopting our own social norms. If your heritage comes from a country that treats women as slaves to men, especially ones considered of ill repute just because of their faith, the way they dress or because they are in care (i.e orphan or from a poor family background), then strict re-education is needed upon entry to the UK. If they are UK born, then of course it’s our failure to allow their family heritage to continue this indoctrination of sick cultural values.

The only time religion plays into it is the use of texts that either vague or contridictory to how we should behave and treat others but also are so far apart from the modern world and the modern expectation to treat each other equally, that they do not apply and should either be rejected or amended. And those who are against this really should not live in this country, regardless of if they are born here or not.

Now for the simplist that want to make this a black and white argument...all the above is racist as it singles out a particular ethnic group. I’d argue against that as there are plenty of people from all sorts of backgrounds that have adopted good common values and rejected outdated and repressive doctrines. We should reject those that don’t.

Shutting people down who voice concerns because “that’s racist” has only continued it, rather than addressing it.

In the end it allowed monsters to live unpunished, turned children into monsters and also created the likes of Tommy Robinson.

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 July 2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 24 July 2019, 08:44 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

dont forget it was basically the appointment of Nazir Afzal that led to all of these cases being brought forward................
Old 24 July 2019, 09:42 AM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Now for the simplist that want to make this a black and white argument...all the above is racist as it singles out a particular ethnic group. I’d argue against that as there are plenty of people from all sorts of backgrounds that have adopted good common values and rejected outdated and repressive doctrines. We should reject those that don’t.
Exactly. There is confusion over what racism is or isn't. Identifying a particular section of society as being responsible for a particular crime is not racist at all, it's a social issue. Failing to deal with the issue head on is a massive failure by the authorities. Here's what LBC's Maajid Nawaz had to say about grooming gangs and Robinson's arrest:
Old 24 July 2019, 09:43 AM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
dont forget it was basically the appointment of Nazir Afzal that led to all of these cases being brought forward................
Yes indeed. Often overlooked, but very significant.
Old 24 July 2019, 11:21 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

He does love the limelight ..

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...er-bully-video
Old 24 July 2019, 12:35 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stockcar
Old 24 July 2019, 12:37 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
I thought this episode had been done to death 7 months ago when it first appeared?
Old 24 July 2019, 12:47 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Have a read of this:
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a7890106.html
It pretty well sums up the problem with Tommy Robinson and his narrative, even though the article doesn't even mention him!

Is Tommy a racist? Well, that is questionable, he's either racist or Islamophobic - it depends on if he treats white Islamists differently to brown Islamists!

As I've said in previous posts, some of Tommy's points are indeed valid, in particular regarding the integration of minorities in UK society (although this is not an exclusive problem to Islamic or Muslim groups), and the fact that we are often afraid to talk about such issues without being branded a racist.

However, the language that Tommy uses is and the people who he seeks to address are not ones of a informed discussion on a sensitive subject, but are designed to inflame and create intolerance against the Muslim community. His message comes across that all Muslims are bad, involved in grooming gangs and that all mosques are breeding grounds for terrorists, which is simply ridiculous and although he may not publicly condone violence, its clear his message can motivate certain people into committing violent "retaliatory" attacks against the Muslim community. Essentially, this puts him in a similar class as those Islamic extremist preachers he complains about!

Regarding integrations, as someone who has integrated in another country, I can tell you that integration is a two sided problem. On one side, the foreigner has to make the effort to integrate, learn the language, the culture etc., but on the other side, the locals have to be welcoming and help teach you the language and culture. Of course there are a great number of foreigners who don't try very hard to integrate, but from my experience, the local communities are not always very welcoming in helping people to integrate, particularly if you look different to them. In many countries, but particularly in the UK, I think there is a great lack of understanding of this problem and an attitude that put all the integration responsibility in the hands of the immigrants. A foreigner can only truly integrate if the local community accepts them! Tommy's agenda does the opposite of this and tries to create barriers between the Muslim and non Muslim communities and impedes the chance of integration by creating fear and skepticism.

As for the argument about people following religious doctrine, that is something that has existed in our society for hundreds of years. In this country we have followed Pagan, Roman, Viking and most recently Christian doctrine over the generations. Modern society has chosen to drift somewhat away from the strict Christian doctrine, but there are still many people who choose to follow more closely the religious rules. Many Christians still won't have sex before marriage, won't use contraception, are against abortions, and believe the womans' place is in the home etc. All of which is quite acceptable as long as what they do is legal and are not forced or coerced to behave that way. In a modern society which is tolerant of all religions the same must be true for people of Muslim faith. We should not expect Muslims to abandon their doctrine or religious culture, however, we have to expect everyone to obey the law of the land and if incompatibility exists between such doctrine (Christian, Muslim or whatever), then the law of the land has to take precedence and it is the responsibility of the religious leaders to adapt their teachings to ensure their follows live within our legal system. We shouldn't be afraid to tackle establishments which are not following the law, be it extremist Muslim clerics or Christian cults!
The following users liked this post:
Old 24 July 2019, 02:24 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

These guys are generally largely here, because we've subjugated their own communities back home.

How much effort did we put in to integrate when we were over there

Makes me larf