Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cameron and the great betrayal

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2018, 09:12 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another one bites the dust - Dominic Raab
Are we going to see the government collapse today then?

I suspect Mrs May is dreading going to parliament.
Old 15 November 2018, 09:36 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Interestingly, in her statement yesterday, the PM said

"This deal, which delivers on the vote of the referendum, which brings back control of our money, laws and borders, ends free movement, protects jobs, security and our Union; or leave with no deal, or no Brexit at all."
That is the first time I recall her using language of 'no Brexit'. I still maintain that this has been her plan for while. She is dead politically anyway, she must know that, and so she may be preparing to try and deliver what is best for the country, and what she originally campaigned for. Leave Tories MPs are still in the minority, it's likely that a remainer would succeed her anyway. There's always the possibility that a failure of this will ttrigger a vote of no confidence, general election and then all bets are off.

Popcorn ready.................

Old 15 November 2018, 01:42 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
Interestingly, in her statement yesterday, the PM said

That is the first time I recall her using language of 'no Brexit'. I still maintain that this has been her plan for while. She is dead politically anyway, she must know that, and so she may be preparing to try and deliver what is best for the country, and what she originally campaigned for. Leave Tories MPs are still in the minority, it's likely that a remainer would succeed her anyway. There's always the possibility that a failure of this will ttrigger a vote of no confidence, general election and then all bets are off.

Popcorn ready.................
I think that she'll face a vote of no confidence, win it comfortably, then she'll be free to push through a softer Brexit plan

Last edited by Martin2005; 15 November 2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 15 November 2018, 04:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

After that amount of time living abroad, you're outlook on the EU would certainly have become more positive and is very unlikely you would vote to leave - apart from perhaps those Benidorm to$$ers who, for all intents and purposes, just live in a sunnier region of the UK!

Personally, I don't know and haven't met a single British ex-pat (in or outside of the EU) who would have voted to leave if they had a vote!
Another assertion, based on your own feelings?

Certainly, I talk to expats when I'm out there, and the split for leave was almost exactly 50/50, just like here.

And almost every Frenchman I spoke to wanted a referendum for them too!
Old 15 November 2018, 09:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Another assertion, based on your own feelings?

Certainly, I talk to expats when I'm out there, and the split for leave was almost exactly 50/50, just like here.

And almost every Frenchman I spoke to wanted a referendum for them too!

The French had their referendum back in 1992. Remain won (albeit by much less than what leave did in the UK).

Seems memory is short with the 48% movement, when 1% dictated the difference of France signing up to a treaty that made the EU what it is today, whereas today we, the UK whom were never given that privilege are told that the UK should have a significantly greater than a 1% vote margin to revoke it.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 November 2018 at 09:37 PM.