Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cameron: saying one thing and doing another, again.

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2014, 03:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Cameron: saying one thing and doing another, again.

Saw this plonker on TV, Sunday morning, and he said, quote:" All our young people should either be in work or in education..."

So THAT'S why your government has just changed the rules so that no student in HE can have more than four years funding, is it?

Doesn't that automatically exclude medicine and dentistry?

But then, it's not like the country needs dentists, or doctors...oh...wait....

It also excludes anyone doing two years foundation, due to coming to uni late with no "A" levels...like my son...but hey, the country only needs about 80,000 more engineers...so why worry??

TheTories and Limp Dems just seem to make it up as they go along.
Old 30 September 2014, 03:49 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Higher Education is A-Levels so college/6th form. Where your normally only there for 2 years, even if you have resits.

Further Education is Degree/HNC so lasts anywhere depending on course.

So funding for 4 years is fine, as it stops kids from signing up and doing naff all. And if you want to change your mind after getting your A-Levels or whatever and want to do something else, then you can do one more qualification before Uni.

And 4 years for a foundation course is more than long enough. Sorry but many many many people pay to go on night courses to get that foot up the ladder, why shouldn't they get help, instead of dishhing it out to some kids who really will squander it??
Old 30 September 2014, 05:54 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimbob
Higher Education is A-Levels so college/6th form. Where your normally only there for 2 years, even if you have resits.

So funding for 4 years is fine, as it stops kids from signing up and doing naff all. And if you want to change your mind after getting your A-Levels or whatever and want to do something else, then you can do one more qualification before Uni.

And 4 years for a foundation course is more than long enough. Sorry but many many many people pay to go on night courses to get that foot up the ladder, why shouldn't they get help, instead of dishhing it out to some kids who really will squander it??

Don't worry. These UKippers are too busy being angry to actually pay attention to the detail.
Old 30 September 2014, 06:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

yeah, my bad, I meant FE.

Nope: it's FOUR YEARS MAX for FE.....

No, he's done two years foundation and is now starting a proper Mech eng degree, BSc Mech. Eng.

We need dentists: they can no longer train without paying upfront. Dentistry is 5 or 6 years.

We need doctors: ditto.

We need engineers, yet my lad is having to fund one year himself, with TWO WEEKS notice to find the cash. Like HE could borrow £9000.....

And never forget that ALL of it will be paid back...with interest...(thanks for that, Lying Labour, nice bit of retrospective legislation that), once the degree holder gets a decent job.

Most will have a mortgage hanging round their necks before they even look at houses.

Meanwhile, the Sweaty Socks' kids get it all free.

What a fukcing country we live in.....
Old 30 September 2014, 06:34 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Why does he only have 2 weeks notice?
And does he need the whole £9k up front? That's for the whole course no, Shirley he just needs the first year's costs?
Old 30 September 2014, 07:31 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Is he not eligible for a student loan? Although if he needs it in 2 weeks he might be stuck. Best bet is to speak to the Uni/Colleges student finance department and see what his options are.

Though I have to ask, why has it all of a sudden become an issue? The cost of the course isn't something that just popped up 2 weeks before he starts.
Old 30 September 2014, 08:42 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Should have looked into the funding and ramifications of the uni course a LONG time ago. Blaming Cameron or any political party for a lack of planning on your or your boys part is not their fault.

I blame Tony Blair for tuition fees in the first place!!

And student loans, they are there for funding the course fees and accommodation.

Last edited by Jimbob; 30 September 2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01 October 2014, 05:59 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Why does he only have 2 weeks notice?
And does he need the whole £9k up front? That's for the whole course no, Shirley he just needs the first year's costs?

No, that's when they told him..two weeks before course begins.

£9000 is now ONE YEARS tuition
Old 01 October 2014, 06:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Is he not eligible for a student loan? Although if he needs it in 2 weeks he might be stuck. Best bet is to speak to the Uni/Colleges student finance department and see what his options are.

Though I have to ask, why has it all of a sudden become an issue? The cost of the course isn't something that just popped up 2 weeks before he starts.
See above post.

Plus this IS student loans who have refused him.
Old 01 October 2014, 06:01 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Should have looked into the funding and ramifications of the uni course a LONG time ago. Blaming Cameron or any political party for a lack of planning on your or your boys part is not their fault.

I blame Tony Blair for tuition fees in the first place!!

And student loans, they are there for funding the course fees and accommodation.

Read my post please before diving in.

They changed the rules.
Old 01 October 2014, 08:32 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
See above post.

Plus this IS student loans who have refused him.
So hang on, how old is he and what course has he completed/applied for?
Old 03 October 2014, 09:10 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

He is now 28.

Worked for ten years as a welder/plater, then went to Loughborough to do induction course at 26.

Starting main course at 28, Mech Eng.
Old 03 October 2014, 11:14 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

£9k is pretty steep.

My understanding though was that you pay it after completion, if you earn enough?
Old 03 October 2014, 12:37 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

He is now 28.

Worked for ten years as a welder/plater, then went to Loughborough to do induction course at 26.

Starting main course at 28, Mech Eng.
So he's going in as a mature student on to a part time or full time course?
Old 03 October 2014, 12:42 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think someone's confused.

He's a politician right?
Old 03 October 2014, 05:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

He's on a full-time course. And yes, mature student, independent, they call them now.

Tuition fees are £9000 pa and have been for two years or so...at least since the Tories got in. And the Lib Dems allowed it.

And yers, you pay it back, with interest, (thanks Lying Labour) once you earn over £21,000.

So a REAL big salary, then.

Most students have been conned, they wil never be debt free and it will spoil their chances of a mortgage etc.
Old 03 October 2014, 05:37 PM
Rick2014
Scooby Regular

Have a look at this

Old 03 October 2014, 06:07 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

He's on a full-time course. And yes, mature student, independent, they call them now.

Tuition fees are £9000 pa and have been for two years or so...at least since the Tories got in. And the Lib Dems allowed it.

And yers, you pay it back, with interest, (thanks Lying Labour) once you earn over £21,000.

Most students have been conned, they wil never be debt free and it will spoil their chances of a mortgage etc.
isn't the debt removed after 6 year's? and share's are allways a option £20'999 plus shares in company they work for, to be sold at a later date as shares come under capital gains tax, and you are allowed to capitaly gain £9000 per annum

Last edited by madscoob; 03 October 2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05 October 2014, 09:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I dunno about it being written off after 6 years...maybe if you never reach £21000, or don't complete the course?

And he's doing engineering, BSc Mech. Eng., to be precise. I don't think there's that many share options in engineering...certainly not for those just starting.
Old 05 October 2014, 10:27 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-29462103

I guess it's the parents that have to stump up the cash, have a read of the above article and stories.

First year for my lad at uni and costing us a fortune in rent / food............

Shaun
Old 05 October 2014, 01:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

We had to go out and borrow £9000...money that we needed for another project.

Meanwhile, some friends are in the same position with their lad doing dentistry...so THEY went out and bought themselves a new caravan...and HE's changed course and can no longer be a dentist.

Selfish.

Last edited by alcazar; 05 October 2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05 October 2014, 03:50 PM
Lisawrx

If you think that's bad, due to when I went to uni, I have to pay my loan back when I earn just £15,000. Though my loan is nowhere near as big as what people today are having to take.

About the 6 year thing, unless that has also changed, IIRC mine doesn't get written off until I'm something daft like 60.
Old 05 October 2014, 04:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yep, not good is it.

By the time he gets his degree, he will owe best part of £85,000.

Best thing for him will be to work abroad......

And the Sweaty Socks get it ALL for free.....
Old 05 October 2014, 06:05 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Earn or learn, pushing most courses to £9000 a year makes it very hard for these young people to learn. My daughter wants to be a doctor and learn at Oxford but you can guarantee it will be top dollar.
Old 05 October 2014, 08:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

And she won't get the five/six years she needs to qualify, unless she/you contribute.
Old 05 October 2014, 08:56 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

And she won't get the five/six years she needs to qualify, unless she/you contribute.
The recession had killed my wage as it has halved. The recession is over and all the top companies are now making more cash than pre 2007.

If my wage was to go back to what it was in 2007 I would not bat an eye at having to pay £9k a year for my daughters degree but as it is I can't afford that on top of a normal spend.
Old 06 October 2014, 08:59 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The recession is over?

Time someone put some of the money up north, then, 'cos it sure as hell ain't over up there.
Old 06 October 2014, 09:50 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Or if she gets a grant/bursary. There are plenty of options out there, you just need to put a bit of work in.

I've just finished a part time BEng and all it's cost me is a day ticket to London each week. So the 9k a year tuition fee isn't the issue it's made out to be, people just need to be a bit clever about their career path.
Old 06 October 2014, 12:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Or if she gets a grant/bursary. There are plenty of options out there, you just need to put a bit of work in.

I've just finished a part time BEng and all it's cost me is a day ticket to London each week. So the 9k a year tuition fee isn't the issue it's made out to be, people just need to be a bit clever about their career path.
I'm guessing your employers shouldered the cost?

Would that my son could have done the same...no employers here are interested. If there had been bursaries etc available, we would have found them. He even aproached TATA Steel for sponsorship...not interested, they prefer to promote unqualified engineers from within, apparently.

I think your glib response is unhelpful and misleading, sorry.
Old 06 October 2014, 01:29 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

I'm guessing your employers shouldered the cost?

Would that my son could have done the same...no employers here are interested. If there had been bursaries etc available, we would have found them. He even aproached TATA Steel for sponsorship...not interested, they prefer to promote unqualified engineers from within, apparently.

I think your glib response is unhelpful and misleading, sorry.
Yup, they certainly did and they are putting several of our apprentices through degrees at the moment. In fact I have a feeling the majority of people on my course at uni were company sponsored. Also both my brother and his fiance had there MSCs funded by the welsh government.

Quick Reply: Cameron: saying one thing and doing another, again.