Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

9/11 anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2018, 03:48 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default 9/11 anniversary

i really cant believe this was 17 years ago, seems like 5 minutes ago.

R.I.P all those that passed on that sad day.

Old 11 September 2018, 04:32 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

same here, amazed how quickly it appears to have passed...............

can remember standing in a local cafe watching it unfold on a small portable that all were crowded around
Old 11 September 2018, 05:32 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I think I was more disappointed that it was only at 12 noon my wife reminded me of the anniversary.
nothing on tv and only one post from a friend on Facebook.

oh and then here now
Old 11 September 2018, 05:59 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
I think I was more disappointed that it was only at 12 noon my wife reminded me of the anniversary.
nothing on tv and only one post from a friend on Facebook.

oh and then here now
yeah true but i believe it would be different if it were an attack that this country suffered.

one thing i would like to do is to go and see ground zero, they have lights that beam up to the sky to replicate the towers

https://www.911memorial.org/tribute-light
Old 11 September 2018, 08:21 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
yeah true but i believe it would be different if it were an attack that this country suffered.

one thing i would like to do is to go and see ground zero, they have lights that beam up to the sky to replicate the towers

I've seen more from my British friends on Facebook, about 911, than I have from my American friends - one of them told me it is because it is so fresh a wound (in the scale of things) that sometimes they cannot face it directly. Just a very different culture in how they grieve, compared to Brits.
Old 11 September 2018, 08:44 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
I've seen more from my British friends on Facebook, about 911, than I have from my American friends - one of them told me it is because it is so fresh a wound (in the scale of things) that sometimes they cannot face it directly. Just a very different culture in how they grieve, compared to Brits.
either way, what happened on that day was probably about the worst thing we will ever see in our lives. An absolute disgrace that people could do that to innocent people and their families.
Old 11 September 2018, 09:22 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

either way, what happened on that day was probably about the worst thing we will ever see in our lives. An absolute disgrace that people could do that to innocent people and their families.
You're not wrong - it was a horrible day and has changed all our lives for good. Just interesting how we deal with loss and attacks on the nation so differently.

I remember I was in the pub and thought someone had put a movie on before I realized in horror that this **** was really happening....
Old 11 September 2018, 09:29 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

A sad day that should not be forgotten.
Old 11 September 2018, 09:41 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Torquemada
With the amount of therapy that Americans do, Compared to Brits, that surprises me,

As mentioned it came on a TV at work, at first you think it is some movie, but the shock at the realisation of it being real, and live.

Old 11 September 2018, 10:00 PM
STI -V4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The killing of innocent people is still going on today on a daily basis. Cities / Countries / Families being torn apart.
Old 11 September 2018, 10:19 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
With the amount of therapy that Americans do, Compared to Brits, that surprises me,

As mentioned it came on a TV at work, at first you think it is some movie, but the shock at the realisation of it being real, and live.
Yeah man, they need all that therapy as they bottle it all up (my wife is a therapist, in fact)

I've worked with a lot of veterans who are like ptsd powder-kegs.

I was in NY the year before and then went back to the same airport since 9/11, it is amazing how different it is.

Old 12 September 2018, 01:12 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was working in a Currys type electrical goods shop putting a new system in for them when this happened.
I was facing a wall of TV's and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

To top things off, myself and my wife were booked to go on holiday to the USA 5 days after 9/11, we were dreading it.

The airport security was mad(I've never seen so many sniffer dogs in one place before), I flew from Dublin into Atlanta and it was total chaos, we then flew from there to Chicago which was our final destination for 2 weeks.
There were only 5 or 6 people on that flight in total(it was very surreal), but we were all treated like VIP's during the flight.

Chicago was dead (understandably).
We carried on as normal, visiting restaurants etc, and the staff/owners were extremely thankful of any business at all.

Ran into a few ignorant people, mainly coloured fellows, who I assume were homeless.
I was called a Russian mother ****** by several of them, one explained to me that I was "coming over here with your ******* bombs"

I'm 100% not Russian - stupid american *****
Old 12 September 2018, 01:37 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We were in NYC last year and went to the 9/11 memorial. It's very well done and extremely moving.
Old 12 September 2018, 01:41 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I was at work when a mate sent me an email alerting me that some planes had been hijacked. Was following the news stories on the internet as they crashed into the towers. I left work early that day to go to the local Curry's type place (Mediamarkt), as I walked in, there were literally hundreds of TV's showing it live as the first building collapsed. As if it wasn't shocking enough, watching the two buildings come down, in a store full of TVs was extreme. Everyone was just stood there staring in silence trying to comprehend what was happening.

A sad day I'll never forget, not only for the tragic event itself, but the subsequent rise of the radical right and Islamophobia which was able to gain ground as a direct result.
Old 12 September 2018, 01:47 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coupe_20vt
We were in NYC last year and went to the 9/11 memorial. It's very well done and extremely moving.
did you see the towers of light?
Old 12 September 2018, 04:32 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

As I do every year, been watching the plethora of programs on about it, it still fascinates me, quite unbelievable viewing.

Still, it pales into insignificance to the carnage wrought on cities in WWII. The media age, eh?

Old 12 September 2018, 05:47 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
Still, it pales into insignificance to the carnage wrought on cities in WWII. The media age, eh?
Interesting numbers:
9/11 => 2977 killed (excluding the 19 terrorists) and over 6000 injured
War in Afghanistan => coalition: 3458 killed, around 30,000 injured. Afghan: 31,000 civilian deaths and a further 29,000 civilian injured, 111,000 total deaths including civilians and militants with upto a further 360,000 killed as an indirect result of the war.

So basically, we've killed and in injured more of our own people with the war in Afghanistan than the terrorists killed in 9/11. The number of Afghanis killed doesn't even compare!

This is an interesting paper discussing the effect of 9/11 on the rise of the Radical Right and Islamophobia, well worth a read to understand whats going on politically at the moment:
http://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/...0190274559-e-3
Old 12 September 2018, 06:14 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Iraqi civilian death count - 200k since the 2003 post 911 invasion

and weirdly invaded as a result of 911 - yet had nothing to do with it!!!!!!!

https://www.iraqbodycount.org/
Old 13 September 2018, 12:01 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere?

This is an interesting paper discussing the effect of 9/11 on the rise of the Radical Right and Islamophobia, well worth a read to understand whats going on politically at the moment:
http://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/...0190274559-e-3
Whilst I have huge sympathy for the people who died or got injured, I don't have a great deal of sympathy for the US as a nation. Their foreign policy finally came home to roost. You can't behave that badly on the international stage for that long and expect no consequences.

As usual, the innocents suffer (as they did in WWII)
Old 13 September 2018, 12:29 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

did you see the towers of light?
Yes, quite a spectacle. We came out of the Rockefeller Centre having had a meal and there they were. It was cloudy night and they lit up the clouds.

Last edited by coupe_20vt; 13 September 2018 at 12:31 PM.