Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bloody Hell it's Hot!

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2018, 10:34 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bloody Hell it's Hot!

Apart from proper room aircon, has anyone bought a portable product recently that actually cools a room down effectively? I've had enough of this heat at night............the room fan isn't really helping anymore.

Don't mind spending a few hundred quid if it works............
Old 08 July 2018, 11:10 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Im tempted to swop out ceiling light for fan we bought for our place in Zim. ( 25 quid ) in lounge here , but im 100 yards from sea - so just opening windows is ok for bedroom
apart from the bloody seagull racket

it cant be worse than zambia - where we Had to have it on all through the night

you get used to any noise very quickly
Old 09 July 2018, 06:30 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

A real summer for once Happy days
Old 09 July 2018, 07:45 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Portable aircon is a waste of time unless it's a twin duct unit or umbilical with a outdoor unit.

A single duct unit sucks air from the room and exhausts it outside....something has to replace the air exhausted....warm air from outside! It's on par with heating a room in winter with the windows open!

Plus all the bits that generate lots of heat...compressor, condenser are in the same room you are trying to cool. I'm amazed the EU hasn't banned them for their poor efficiency, Afterall they banned light bulbs!
Old 09 July 2018, 08:02 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bought one from B&Q last year, £300 with a hose that goes out the window, only use it in the bedroom and it's second only to a dish washer for the best thing I've ever bought for the house.

Room drops from 24 -17 in about an hour, put it on with the door closed before bed and it's like a fridge. Lovely.. would highly recommend getting one .. if you need to keep it on in the night look for the quiet ones, but you'll pay more.
Old 09 July 2018, 01:36 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
bought one from B&Q last year, £300 with a hose that goes out the window, only use it in the bedroom and it's second only to a dish washer for the best thing I've ever bought for the house.

Room drops from 24 -17 in about an hour, put it on with the door closed before bed and it's like a fridge. Lovely.. would highly recommend getting one .. if you need to keep it on in the night look for the quiet ones, but you'll pay more.
Bought a similar sort of unit from Homebase about 10yrs ago. As you say, turns the room (in our case large living room) into a fridge. It's a touch on the noisy side, but it's a small price to pay given how cool the room gets.
Old 09 July 2018, 03:07 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

A dehumidifier is also a good investment when its hot. Generally, the heat isn't so much the problem as the humidity. Another good tip is to leave the curtains and windows closed during the daytime - stops the room heating up in the first place!
Old 09 July 2018, 03:44 PM
longsh07
Scooby Newbie

Had one from Homebase for a few years now, cost about £250 iirc. Generally only use it at night to cool the room before bed but it works a treat! Couldn't live without it now.

Not so great during the day mind, unless you are prepared to sit in line of the fan. You'll cool down but as Ali-b mentioned, any hot air piped outside just comes back in again. May drop a couple of degrees... Can mitigate it somewhat by closing the curtains and replacing the rigid exhaust pipe with a soft one that can be clamped tighter in the window.
Old 09 July 2018, 03:59 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
A dehumidifier is also a good investment when its hot. Generally, the heat isn't so much the problem as the humidity. Another good tip is to leave the curtains and windows closed during the daytime - stops the room heating up in the first place!
High humidity is rarely the problem in the UK when we have sustained hot weather spells, and it certainly isn't the case now. A better investment would be a large dust/hepa filtering fan, and for extra cooling effect, draping a damp towel over the air inlet every hour or two.
Old 09 July 2018, 04:07 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Another good tip is to leave the curtains and windows closed during the daytime - stops the room heating up in the first place!
Totally agree. People think I'm nuts when I tell them to close the windows and blinds when it's hot outside.
Old 09 July 2018, 04:09 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

The windows as well ?
Old 09 July 2018, 04:12 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
The windows as well ?
The air outside is usually warmer than inside, so it makes sense to close the windows during the day time and open them and night for cooler fresh air.

Closing curtains/blinds also reduces the heating effect from the windows. Even better is blinds or shutters outside the windows.
Old 09 July 2018, 04:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Would depend how good your insulation is / window area / whether can get a through draught/ How many mosquitos around after dark
Old 09 July 2018, 06:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Jonnys3
Totally agree. People think I'm nuts when I tell them to close the windows and blinds when it's hot outside.

I know...thats British mentality for you..."oh it's hot, I'll open the window and let the hotter air outside in".

The only exception is solar gain...conservatories, or badly insulated flat roofs and dormas... Like my house, this is what it is at the moment, all locked up and all windows and blinds shut:

Guess which part of my house suffers solar gain and which part has shyte insulation. Think I may move the bed into the hallway

Working in HVAC in offices and shops showed it all...thermostat set to 16 if it's too hot or 28 when its too cold....NEVER at a sensible setting. Well, until I go in and lock the max and min settings to something sensible. I've probably done more to help the environment via locking out thermostats to offset me driving a polluting gas guzzler everyday
Old 09 July 2018, 06:46 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by longsh07
Had one from Homebase for a few years now, cost about £250 iirc. Generally only use it at night to cool the room before bed but it works a treat! Couldn't live without it now.

Not so great during the day mind, unless you are prepared to sit in line of the fan. You'll cool down but as Ali-b mentioned, any hot air piped outside just comes back in again. May drop a couple of degrees... Can mitigate it somewhat by closing the curtains and replacing the rigid exhaust pipe with a soft one that can be clamped tighter in the window.

That's pretty much it, they do work, but are an inefficient way of doing the job. We had a 15000BTU portable in the office, it worked, but it struggled, replaced it with a 9000BTU permanent split wall mount and that copes with ease...it uses 850watts of electric when running flat out which it doesn't need to...whereas the portable was about 1700watts and it spent most the time running flat out.

The ones that can draw in outside air (usually twin ducts, or a duct inside a duct), would be a much better choice, but they are going to cost more.

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 July 2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09 July 2018, 07:05 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It's not hot for FS!
Old 09 July 2018, 07:22 PM
bobbyd182
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
It's not hot for FS!
My bollocks beg to differ.
Old 09 July 2018, 08:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
It's not hot for FS!
I'm ok. So long as I'm not sat in a black car in traffic with no aircon and broken window motors.

Think my threshold for working is about 32 to 33. To sleep it needs to be cooler than 29. So I'm coping.

Others aren't...averaging three air con re-gasses a day at the mo, I did 8 on Friday, half of which had to aborted as the condensers were leaking....you can thank the salt and grit from last winter for causing that.

Few jaw droppers too...that new 1234Yf gas cost a fortune to buy in, making a £50 air con service cost £200
Old 09 July 2018, 08:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Yes , what is the reason for the gas, suddenly ,going up ??

guy does my servicing was mentioning this
Old 09 July 2018, 09:30 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by dpb
Yes , what is the reason for the gas, suddenly ,going up ??

guy does my servicing was mentioning this
1234yf is a new gas fitted in new cars. This gas is very expensive.
134a is the old gas that is effectively banned for new cars. This gas is cheap.

These gases have patents and manufacturing rights/licensing, in the case of 1234yf its Honeywell.

I'm sure some lobby group somewhere greased the right gears on Honeywell's behalf to adopt their gas as the standardised choice for new vehicles. As well as legislation being created that effectively bans 134a in new vehicle. Sounds very much like what Monsanto did with rival weedkillers.
Old 09 July 2018, 09:36 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyd182
My bollocks beg to differ.
Your bollocks are not in the Middle East. That's hot!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/98182

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 09 July 2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09 July 2018, 09:42 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

But this is for any ole car that needs aircon recharge i thought
Old 09 July 2018, 09:58 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000

Ok Great! Exactly what I need! What make/model is it? 24 to 17 will definitely do it! My Lounge was registering 26 at 2 a.m. last night and that is cooler than any of the bedrooms currently..................

Last edited by Fabioso; 09 July 2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10 July 2018, 08:43 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Jacket weather this morning

goodness knows where you were to have 27 inside last night