Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any Double Glazing Guru`s on here ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2018, 08:13 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Any Double Glazing Guru`s on here ?

Or Glass experts on here Before i woffle away its to do with Acoustic glass for my front bedrooms ive had installed and am doubting if they are what im told they are.
Old 10 April 2018, 12:42 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i work for a double glazing manufacturer m8 what do you need to know?
Old 10 April 2018, 12:50 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Ok Bud here goes

I agreed with the salesman to go for Stadip silence 8.8mm glass made by saint Gobain, not teaching to suck eggs but its acoustic glass, 8.8mm glass with a PVB in the middle of that 8.8mm , 16mm argon gap with a 4mm normal pane of glass to make the total of 28mm still double glazed unit.

what ive got is a pilkington pane of glass with the laminate kytemark which doesnt seem to have a 16mm gap visually

my question is how do the installers know which side is the acoustic side and which side is the normal glass when they install ? As i have had the pane removed then refitted (long story ) and its the wrong side round to when 1st installed couple weeks ago.

Also trying to find out if saint gobain actually use pilkington glass as since i ordered stadip silence why have i got a pilkington pane ?

The sound deadening isnt what i was expecting and im doubting i actually have acoustic glass more just laminated

and breath lol
Old 10 April 2018, 08:18 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

normally the label will say glaze this side outside ie the side the label is on. who is supplying the windows? we use saint gobain and pilks glass in the manufacture of our windows under our brand name. we also use guardian as well so sometimes our windows will have the same glass from different suppliers which could be the case here. different pvb layers do different things and provide sound deading properties and also reflect uv rays, reflect or retain heat etc. sounds like the installer has reglazed the unit the wrong way round.

Last edited by yabbadoo4; 11 April 2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11 April 2018, 01:44 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Hi Bud,
i used an installing company in wiltshire called G2S ( grime 2 shine ) of all names lol.

My concern is i dont have the stadip silence glass, looking at the spec it should have 2 4mm glass layers bonded together with a PVB in the middle of them, then a 14mm argon gap with a 6mm glass pane.

looking at the glass i have it doesnt look like a 14mm "air" gap at all, more like 5mm

its definately a laminated piece of glass as it says pilkington optilam on it but the sound deadening is not that great, i still hear birds chirping etc and i was expecting alot mote sound to be quieter, i realise it wont make it silent but at least quieter.

As you say, it doesnt help that different glass is used by a glass supplier, so say saint gobain might use pilkington, but i cant get this verified, i m trying to see if a stadip silence saint gobain piece would actually have pilkington glass in it.

id expect a saint gobain stadip silence piece of glass to at least have their branding on it tho not pilkington

so far since my queries G2S have gone silent on me

Last edited by The Rig; 11 April 2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11 April 2018, 04:20 PM
supshon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have a air gap of 6mm , you’re sealed units are made up with 2 pieces of thick glass , the thicker the glass the thinner the spacer bar , saint gobain and pilkington are 2 different company’s , pilkington have there own range of acoustic glass , saint gobain stadip wouldn’t have a pilkington stamp on it . If you have had acoustic glass fitted to existing frames it depends on the quality of the frames, how well fitted they are, and how well they seal to fully benefit . I worked for G2S for a few weeks, that was long enough ,what I saw going on was amazing i can’t believe the company is still running
Old 11 April 2018, 04:33 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Hi Bud thanks for the reply.
This is my point, as you say, Saint gobain and pilkington are 2 different companies and i wouldnt expect to see the pilkington stamp on a saint gobain branded stadip silence pane. Although, as we know different companies do use pilkingtons glass but id expect that from say a local family run business not a leading competitor lol !

The stadip silence glass is meant to be 8.8/14/6 , pilkingtons range is opitphon which is 8.8/16/6

i specified stadip silence from G2S and its on my original invoice yet the windows i have say pilkington optilam in the corner.

The frames were fitted new along with the "stadip" glass. as you say these play a major part of the noise cancelling and i suspect they are just normal frames, i can put up with that , but not getting the glass i wanted is my main concern.

The air gap / spacer bar plays a huge part as well, the smaller this is the less chane it has of reducing noise i presume , even if you do have 2 thick pieces of glass ?

i will take a picture of the glass to show you both
Old 11 April 2018, 06:07 PM
supshon
Scooby Regular

No worries we’re you in when they installed the windows , how well did they fit ,were there any large gaps around the frames as I know the surveyors used to make the windows a little small for the holes
Old 11 April 2018, 06:13 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Nah the missus was here at the time of installation, they used expanding foam etc on any larger gaps i know that much, the frames seem to be ok its the glass that im annoyed with.

i havent actually paid yet, its on finance and havent signed the satisfaction form yet as there have been other issues i wanted fixing 1st and now ive realised i dont have the stadip glass im even more annoyed lol
Old 11 April 2018, 06:18 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

So, this is 1 of the side windows, i know its hard to tell from the pic

And this is the main pane of glass they have installed the wrong side round, the laminate is on the inside instead of th eoutside

Old 11 April 2018, 06:19 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Im assuming the spacer bar is the grey piece, if so, that doesnt look 14mm or 16mm ?
Old 11 April 2018, 07:06 PM
supshon
Scooby Regular

The spacer bar is the grey piece and that looks like a 14mm possibly 12mm bar, but it’s hard to tell from pic , taking the unit out of the window is the only way of finding out for sure , hopefully they will sort out you’re issues
Old 11 April 2018, 07:18 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Yeah I think the photo makes that spacer bar look bigger than it is it can't be no more than 10mm. It's defiantly not a saint Gobain stadip silence pane so let the fun begin lol hopefully it all gets sorted

Cheers
Old 11 April 2018, 08:27 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

did they specify what type of spacer bar would be used? in the first pic it looks like super spacer which is a foam bar which comes in roll form which my company uses and made by edgetech. doesnt look like metal spacer at all.
Old 11 April 2018, 09:05 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Cheers bud , Nah no spec on spacer bar , as I was expecting the stadip silence pane from saint gobian I presumed it was all included in the pane , which I think it is as I'm convinced this isn't stadip silence as they spec a 14mm argon gap
Old 17 April 2018, 07:03 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Well as today has been windy found out the 1 window leaks badly ! From between frame and sash and the wall and frame !

Old 17 April 2018, 07:15 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

That’s some **** finishing
Old 17 April 2018, 07:26 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Exactly ! The sealant had cracked hence the discovery , upon a bit more investigating uncovered this . You can see the trim has buldged where that packing block is
Old 17 April 2018, 07:26 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

This makes me laugh

Old 25 April 2018, 10:46 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Just for ***** n giggles heres some more pics, it just gets better and better this lol !!!

Old 25 April 2018, 11:36 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

jesus thats bad. id be contacting a solicitor about the state of that work.
Old 25 April 2018, 08:40 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

What have the company said ?
Old 26 April 2018, 08:44 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats not good at all. I guess you need to give them the chance to rectify this, but you gotta ask, do they have the ability to.
Quick search

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.g2sltd.com

Last edited by urban; 26 April 2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 26 April 2018, 12:15 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Since my realisation the glass isnt what i ordered and also the findings in the photo above i havent heard back from them lol, the finance hasnt been finalised as i havent signed the final note to release money which also activates the finance account , which i guess the agreement will expire soon if not activated