Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Double glazing condensation

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2001, 01:04 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have hardwood frame windows with double glazed panels in. Quite a few of them have condensation within the unit, so that you cant wipe it off as you cant get to it.

Is there a way I can get rid of this condensation ?

Dave
Old 28 December 2001, 01:21 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Nope - the seal is gone between the panes. They are normally filled with nitrogen or somesuch when they are new.

It tends to disappear in the summer when it is hot, and get worse in the winter when vapour in the units condenses.
Old 28 December 2001, 01:23 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Is this something I can take up with the NHBC as the house is only 5 years old ?

Dave
Old 28 December 2001, 02:06 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your sealed units are not sealed anymore

incidentally, we had pvc windows fitted recently (40 yr old bungalow) and the salesman was keen to point out how we these new houses use softwood window frames that rot within 5 years if not treated correctly each year! cheapskate building companies.
Old 28 December 2001, 06:15 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Might be worth a claim on the NHBC, can't do any harm to have a go. They may try to fob you off initially but stick with it
Old 28 December 2001, 06:38 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

Druddle,

My parents had the same problem with their double glazing. Despite being well within the 10 year guarantee, they discovered the double glazing was excluded. They had to pay a fortune to get replacement windows because the idiots who installed the windows were exempt from any comeback for a poorly done job. Just another case of bad workmanship in modern Britain...
Old 28 December 2001, 06:53 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the same problem with my Patio doors, one of the panes steams up all the time and in the summer it looks dirty because the condensation has dried on the inside of the pane, tried contacting the company who installed it as it has a "25 year" guarantee, ha ha , not if they go bust 3 years after instalation.

Solution throw a chair through the window, cite a decorating accident and get the insurance co to pay out. if only I had the ***** instead i have a dirty window!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 28 December 2001, 07:03 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Go with Funkii Munkii's Idea

Or Vandalism if there are a few windows, small stones and a couple of marks on the wall where they came through and hit
Old 29 December 2001, 11:21 AM
scud8
Scooby Regular

They should be covered under NHBC if it's within the first two years. After that your only come back is directly with the builders, and good luck!
Old 29 December 2001, 11:52 AM
philgr
Scooby Regular

who much are you looking at for a new sealed glass unit?
Old 29 December 2001, 12:45 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Speaking as an employee of the insurance industry, it isn't really a good idea to suggest fraud on this BBS....but of course, defrauding the insurance industry isn't really fraud, is it - bunch of robbing ba$tards

Ultimately, who pays for fraudulent claims? - you, me, everyone....

Besides, being ripped off for hundreds of millions of pounds a year in fraud they have got wise to most of the tricks.

[Edited by Dave T-S - 12/29/2001 12:47:59 PM]
Old 30 December 2001, 11:47 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I just remembered something I learnt way back about sealed units with condensation. This may or may not work!
First de-glaze the window that is misty. Next remove the silver tape from around the sealed unit, lay the unit down on a bench of some sort and now for the fun bit, using a heatgun start to heat the black gunk up that joins the top pane to the moisture strip, once it is nice and warm run a sharp knife around the edge of the pane of glass being careful not to cut yourself if you slip with the knife! If you cant get the seal to break, try a bit more heat but don't over heat the Gunk (It is a bit of trial and error to get the correct temperature needed)

Next lift up and take away the top pane and turn it over so that the Gunky side is facing up. Now get some white spirit and clean both of the panes of glass, allow to dry. Next on the Pane of glass that is stuck to the moisture strip run a bead of some sort of sealant such as silicon around the edge, also apply some sealant to the free pane on the inside edge, Simply re-assemble the sealed unit being careful not to cut yourself! Once you have allowed the sealant to cure,re-apply the silver tape, place it back into the window frame and re-glaze it. No guarantee that this will work I am afraid but worth a try if you are handy with tools!
Regards ian
Old 31 December 2001, 05:17 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I am sure I have seen a van advertising de-misting and cleaning of double glazed units... And no I don't have a contact No.

Thinking about it logically it must be possible. Question is whether there is more cost involved in dis-assembling, cleaning and re-assembly than in purchasing a new component - If anyone knows please post, I need some doing too

Mick