Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default anti depressants

Felt ten times worse since Ive been on them

Just getting over a divorce.Sure they have had the opposite effect

Anyone tried them?
Old 21 January 2015, 08:40 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by lozgti1

Anyone tried them?
Sad situation for you. Have you tried endurance exercise, running, cycling. They are well known to release serotonin, a mood lift hormone. I always feel great for many hours after a session despite how miserable I feel before I start. Give it go, you might find it allows you to reduce the tablets

Last edited by andy97; 21 January 2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 21 January 2015, 08:54 AM
bry with a y
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never taken anti depressants fella and ive been in some bad times with deaths,divorce as probably most people have but the answer is not in a little pill taken every morning its inside how really strong mentally you are. Everyone is different i know.. If you have been in a worse situation than what your in now just think back to that and you will feel better already! Dont let a woman beat you down,life has worse things so get up brush yourself down and just smile at the situation and say its not gonna keep me down and mentally keep moving.pm me if u ever want a chat..its good to talk as problem shared is problem halved. Bry
Old 21 January 2015, 09:24 AM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By all accounts they take weeks to kick in your system.
I've had loads of different types prescribed as I get migraines severe for days at a time.
I binned the lot as I was the same , I used to lay in bed and think fk it I'm not working today......just what you need when self employed
Caused me problems with my shotgun cert aswel , I had to get a letter off my gp explaining I had them prescribed as they 'relieve migraine symptoms' , which they didn't .

I'd say they are a slippery slope downhill if you get hooked on them which could be easily done .....
Old 21 January 2015, 09:27 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mate took the old valium for much longer than he should have, doc said no but somehow he convinced him, on account worrying about impending langerhans/lymphoma

He's got to spend months and months slowly coming off em.

Says it's the worst thing he's experienced
Old 21 January 2015, 09:38 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Try beta-blockers, they stop that sudden sick in the gut feeling when you think of something negative.

Try not to obsess over a thought as this leads to or exacerbates depression.
Old 21 January 2015, 09:58 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Anyone tried them?
They can and do take weeks to get into your system.
Shouldn't make you feel worse off though. I had fluoxetine after being bed bound for a year and they worked fine with me.
Personally I think they are only needed due to LONG spells of hard times when your mind goes numb and you can't think straight.
Old 21 January 2015, 10:21 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Anyone tried them?
Speak to your doctor, Loz. Maybe John Banks could offer some advice. Take care, mate.
Old 21 January 2015, 11:06 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
Sad situation for you. Have you tried endurance exercise, running, cycling. They are well known to release serotonin, a mood lift hormone. I always feel great for many hours after a session despite how miserable I feel before I start. Give it go, you might find it allows you to reduce the tablets
^ Much better option for situational distress.

Relaxation and meditation also helps. There's a lot of material about it on line.

Psychotherapy may also help.
Old 21 January 2015, 11:28 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Wishing you all the best Loz
Old 21 January 2015, 11:36 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
^ Much better option for situational distress.

Relaxation and meditation also helps. There's a lot of material about it on line.

Exercise is great, but if one's clinically depressed drug therapy (alongside cbt and exercise) might be the best course of action. The person to advise on a potentially deadly illness like depression is Loz's GP. I doubt many men who top themselves decide between necking a bottle of pills and going for a jog.
Old 21 January 2015, 12:01 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Exercise is great, but if one's clinically depressed drug therapy (alongside cbt and exercise) might be the best course of action. The person to advise on a potentially deadly illness like depression is Loz's GP. I doubt many men who top themselves decide between necking a bottle of pills and going for a jog.

I never said that. No one is advising the OP like his GP would. I haven't assessed the OP, so I cannot say whether he has chronic clinical or a situational acute depression.

I will say again. Exercises, social interaction and relaxation may eliminate his situational depression, and psychotherapy (this includes CBT, as CBT is a form of psychological therapy) may help in addition, which may either eliminate the need for any anti-depressants or he may have to take them as the combination therapy; to stablise- in order for CBT or other psychological therapy to work.

OP should certainly not come off his current medication without his GP's advice.
Old 21 January 2015, 12:09 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I never said that. No one is advising the OP like his GP would. I haven't assessed the OP, so I cannot say whether he has chronic clinical or a situational acute depression.

I will say again. Exercises, social interaction and relaxation may eliminate his situational depression, and psychotherapy (this includes CBT, as CBT is a form of psychological therapy) may help in addition, which may either eliminate the need for any anti-depressants or he may have to take them as the combination therapy; to stablise- in order for CBT or other psychological therapy to work.

OP should certainly not come off his current medication without his GP's advice.
I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. Agree with the above.
Old 21 January 2015, 12:16 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bry with a y
I have never taken anti depressants fella and ive been in some bad times with deaths,divorce as probably most people have but the answer is not in a little pill taken every morning its inside how really strong mentally you are. Everyone is different i know.. If you have been in a worse situation than what your in now just think back to that and you will feel better already! Dont let a woman beat you down,life has worse things so get up brush yourself down and just smile at the situation and say its not gonna keep me down and mentally keep moving.pm me if u ever want a chat..its good to talk as problem shared is problem halved. Bry
This for me is the biggest issue with mental health care in the UK, doctors are far too keen to prescribe anti-depressants for depression when the proper/ideal solution would be to actually address the cause.

I.e. in this Loz's case to actually sit down and get to the cause of the issue. Then help you find ways to deal with it properly.
Old 21 January 2015, 12:18 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. Agree with the above.
Thanks, but you did try to undermine the post I made, by saying that the best person to advise is his GP, so you, in a way, told me to STFU.

Don't do it again.

FAO OP:

Yes, certain anti-depressants can make you feel all time low, and psychopharmachology is still like throwing arrows in the dark. Certain medication may suit some, but not everyone. Your GP may change your medication and give you another one to try. Good luck.
Old 21 January 2015, 12:24 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Loz

Pay as you go sim , false email addy and sign up to POF
You will be good as new by the summer
Old 21 January 2015, 12:28 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Thanks, but you did try to undermine the post I made, by saying that the best person to advise is his GP, so you, in a way, told me to STFU.

Don't do it again.
I will do it again if I think or feel somebody with depression is receiving incomplete advice. The safest advice, as you've said, is to refer the op back to his GP.
Old 21 January 2015, 12:34 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I will do it again if I think or feel somebody with depression is receiving incomplete advice. The safest advice, as you've said, is to refer the op back to his GP.
No, it wasn't. You seem to think that you are the brain of Britain. Get it out of your head, and stop belittling people here. Some may know far better than you do, about certain things. Have some humility, and don't pick petty holes for the sake of looking more knowledgeable.

I like you. Don't change it for me.
Old 21 January 2015, 12:42 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

No, it wasn't. You seem to think that you are the brain of Britain. Get it out of your head, and stop belittling people here. Some may know far better than you do, about certain things. Have some humility, and don't pick petty holes for the sake of looking more knowledgeable.

I like you. Don't change it for me.
I have an investment in depression, Swati, my sister has suffered terribly for the last twenty years; suicide attempts, self-harm, alcoholism, drug abuse and co-morbid mental illness. I'm quite sensitive around this subject. I understand this is part of your 'field', but if you read back through you might see how the advice could have been misinterpreted by the op.
Old 21 January 2015, 12:49 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I have an investment in depression, Swati, my sister has suffered terribly for the last twenty years; suicide attempts, self-harm, alcoholism, drug abuse and co-morbid mental illness. I'm quite sensitive around this subject. I understand this is part of your 'field', but if you read back through you might see how the advice could have been misinterpreted by the op.
James, I have read vague description of what you say up there^ in past, as well as of your personal experience. I understand your sensitivity, and my agreement with andy97's suggestion wouldn't have been life threatening. He didn't say that the OP needed to shun the medication instantly and jog on all his life.

Anyway, I'm leaving the conversation here. Have a good day.
Old 21 January 2015, 12:51 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

James, I have read vague description of what you say up there^ in past, as well as of your personal experience. I understand your sensitivity, and my agreement with andy97's suggestion wouldn't have been life threatening. He didn't say that the OP needed to shun the medication instantly and jog on all his life.

Anyway, I'm leaving the conversation here. Have a good day.
And you.
Old 21 January 2015, 12:55 PM
dazsti72
Scooby Regular

Subscribed.
Old 21 January 2015, 01:13 PM
bry with a y
Scooby Regular

I feel depressed reading the arguments on the lads post lol
Old 21 January 2015, 01:19 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bry with a y
I feel depressed reading the arguments on the lads post lol
I know. I'm sorry.
Old 21 January 2015, 02:33 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

This!

Can't recommend it enough. I went through a breakdown in 2007 after 12years of what can only be described as distraction through partying. I met my now Fiance that year and decided to clean my act up as she was better than all that. Went cold turkey and went pop up top in about 3 months. Essentially never dealt with parents divorcing as a teenager and the train wreck of being financially useless, generally care-free (which was later diagnosed as ADHD) took its toll. Never ever felt as heavy/listless as that. Had anti-depressants for a very short period, didn't work. Cognitive behavioural therapy was a bit patronising and essentially cheered me up for all the wrong reasons. In the end, I popped along to the local counselling centre on referral. It took a year of weekly sessions every Friday afternoon after work and the mother of all man crying sessions on Christmas eve 2008 and voila, like someone flicked a switch.

I know the Americans peddle therapy like a brand of soft drink and Brits, typically crack on in life, but I can say from my own point of view that sitting and talking to an utter stranger candidly about every single poor choice I've made fixed everything. You get out what you put in and as the late, great Bob Hoskins once said (for money I might add) It's good to talk.

Good luck chap. Try and get referred to a charity-based centre as they'll accept what you can afford in donations. Be it £5 a session or £40. I was paying £10-15 a week which was a small fraction of what I could blow on rave tickets and narcotics in a week yet it was more mind-opening than any substance and has set me up well for being a proper grown up rather than the good times wally that I used to be.
Old 21 January 2015, 04:35 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ld-turkey.html
Old 21 January 2015, 06:36 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Interesting read that link. My own going cold turkey experience was with non-prescribed "anti-depressants" and pretty much anything else that would help mask an unacknowledged, underlying problem. i was offered the pill route but told the Dr that I had taken far too many of those and felt like going natural would be a preferred route. I figured I'd be taken more seriously shunning the "easy option" (which, faced with therapy, was to me at the time).

The good thing I found with talking was that Jen, my "shrink", didn't actually tell me to do anything. That's the difference between professionals and friends. She asked questions and I basically answered my own underlying problem. She just seemed to unlock it all by getting me to reflect on stuff. Everyone's different though. I can only say therapy did me the world of good. Despite career advancement, a great partner, a roof over my head, etc I was in a pretty dark place. I'm not afraid to put my hand up and ask for help anymore. It's always there if you ask.
Old 21 January 2015, 06:50 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Interesting. If you look at the first post in that link you'll see the op is on Abilify:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aripiprazole

which indicates he had an organic illness - dangerous to simply stop anti-psychotics. Well done for getting yourself sorted without the need for meds. I talk about my own experiences with depression here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ss-anyone.html
Old 21 January 2015, 08:55 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

See the doc again or at least give them a ring. Too many sensitive variables to do on the internet, but it is clearly a really tough time for you.
Old 21 January 2015, 09:34 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
This for me is the biggest issue with mental health care in the UK, doctors are far too keen to prescribe anti-depressants for depression when the proper/ideal solution would be to actually address the cause.

I.e. in this Loz's case to actually sit down and get to the cause of the issue. Then help you find ways to deal with it properly.
TBH, the main reason I've found that anti-depressants are prescribed is yes, they are supporting treatment that should be combined with counseling etc. BUT sadly, the way the NHS works, it can be MONTHS before alternative therapies are available, so the pills do work in the interim.

But the meds take a while to get going, and due to the wide range available, it's not guaranteed that the first med will be the right one. Sadly, it's a "reset button" each time you have to try a new one.

Good luck either way - there IS light at the end of tunnel. And it isn't a train

Quick Reply: anti depressants