Old 14 January 2010, 07:40 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default DDS789's WRX RA

Hi all

This is a link to my first thread about my RA

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...49-newbie.html

So the car went to Scooby Clinic about a week before Christmas. They didnt have chance to do much work on it during the holidays, but i was just glad it wasnt sat on the drive!

A week last monday i got the news on how bad the engine was. After the LIST of things wrong was read to me, my suspicion of a DIY rebuild were confirmed Turned out it was a complete bodge job

From what i can remember;

-Engine mount had snapped and they welded a bolt accross the two broken parts and covered it in red sealant.

-On one of the heads the bolts by the cam seals had knackered threads, so the builder just used bigger bolts till they bit and nipped them up tight.

-Version 4 cast pistons installed (not the supposed forge JE ones) One ringland was broke and they have the wrong profile on the piston for my engine.

-One rod was been replaced, but with one the guys at SC didnt recognise, the guy there said it could have been from an Impreza Sport.

-With the imbalance from that rod it munched that particular bearing on the crank.

-The red sealent used on the engine mount was also used as engine sealer. But in such great quantities that all the oil ways were blocked, so oil starvation was also present.

All that has resulted in the need of Crank, Rods, Pistons and a new head casing plus all the usuals for a rebuild. Luckily the CDB is okjust needs a rebore.

After i called, i planned to go down there the next day and talk about options with the build. But then the snow came!! lol. Managed to get down there this week and weigh up the options. Ive opted for a 2.1 stroker kit, calling SC tomorrow to commence work on it . Ill try and get hold of a more extensive list of the faults and of the new build at a later date.

To keep the photo's up heres one of the last jobs i did to it. Re painted the underneith of the bonnet scoop and changed the IC spray hoses

Got a few nice bits an bobs stored up ready to go on the car when its back, so will keep this updated with plenty of pics and info on the work done to car.

Thanks for reading

Dan
Old 14 January 2010, 08:38 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where abouts in Scunny are you Dan? Me and Alcazar off here are Scunthonians too
Old 14 January 2010, 08:51 PM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

Now then danny boy, I only just realised this was you when I clicked on the link to your projects thread, oh and one more thing, phone call?!?
Old 14 January 2010, 09:26 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

hope it gets sorted mate
Old 15 January 2010, 01:34 AM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies, thread seems a bit pointless but gonna use it to keep track of what iv done and spent on the car.

Ozzy soz i havent got back to ya been busy mate, plus dont want to phone ya when your at work! what time do ya usually get finished?

chocolate_o_brian: I live in Belton next to epworth. Where are you guys from in scunny? I only changed my location thing today have you noticed the site does this S****horpe, bad name lol and hence Scunny on my location. What are you guys driving? wonder if ive seen ya, ill have been in my Audi tank probably ha.
Old 15 January 2010, 07:07 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DDS789
Cheers for the replies, thread seems a bit pointless but gonna use it to keep track of what iv done and spent on the car.

Ozzy soz i havent got back to ya been busy mate, plus dont want to phone ya when your at work! what time do ya usually get finished?

chocolate_o_brian: I live in Belton next to epworth. Where are you guys from in scunny? I only changed my location thing today have you noticed the site does this S****horpe, bad name lol and hence Scunny on my location. What are you guys driving? wonder if ive seen ya, ill have been in my Audi tank probably ha.
I know Epworth and Belton, used to do an ice cream round around there with my uncle years ago

I'm in Scunny itself, drive my little 205 GTi around until another Scoob comes along. An apprentice at Corus
Old 15 January 2010, 02:14 PM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

Work until 5 mate, but dont get any signal anyway, i'll give you a call over the weekend...also may be planning a trip you'll be interested in!!
Old 15 January 2010, 03:13 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Ozzy, ooo think i may kno what your planning!

chocolate_o_brian: Ice cream man, so your the one to blame for never stopping outside my house!! Ha haa. Nice 205 you have, havent seen it yet but ill be on the lookout, so if a dark blue Audi flashes ya its me. What you done to the 205? Still standard? Guy round here had one with a 2.0 M??? engine in it and dog box, used to spin the front wheels to 3rd gear!!

Oh told SC to start the build today
Old 15 January 2010, 04:41 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Ozzy, ooo think i may kno what your planning!

chocolate_o_brian: Ice cream man, so your the one to blame for never stopping outside my house!! Ha haa. Nice 205 you have, havent seen it yet but ill be on the lookout, so if a dark blue Audi flashes ya its me. What you done to the 205? Still standard? Guy round here had one with a 2.0 M??? engine in it and dog box, used to spin the front wheels to 3rd gear!!

Oh told SC to start the build today
Sounds good mate. 205 is pretty standard. Refurbed the wheels white myself and it has lowering springs, a K&N induction kit, full stainless exhaust, decent pads all round and JVC headunit/alpine speakers. Looks ok for a 148,100 miles
Old 15 January 2010, 05:14 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Nice little motor mate, looks well for its mileage too. My audi is on 305k now and looks like its done 600k lol good run around though.

If you didnt know Ozzy_B is from my way too, he has a Black facelift classic makes mine look tatty lol.
Old 15 January 2010, 05:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Nice little motor mate, looks well for its mileage too. My audi is on 305k now and looks like its done 600k lol good run around though.

If you didnt know Ozzy_B is from my way too, he has a Black facelift classic makes mine look tatty lol.
Ah, I'll keep an eye out then. Any pics for me to use
Old 15 January 2010, 05:35 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Ha try and get him to put some on this thread.

Ozzy get a pic of yours on here!!
Old 15 January 2010, 07:32 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

been there i had my car 9 months b4 i could get in it and know it would work did head gaskets, then new block then new gearbox

all seems well now
Old 15 January 2010, 07:58 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

9 months! I can see how it can take so long, hoping mine is gonna come back better than ever coz im gonna be skint when its finished!!