Newbie!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2009, 02:49 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Newbie!!

Hi Everyone

Firstly great site, learnt so much already.

Im new to the subaru world, though always wanted one! Well back in september i finally got one, in the shape of a 1995 WRX Type RA

I had a BMW M3 Evolution and took the RA in part ex for it. Here it is, was a mint one.

The Bmw was an amaizing car, nearly the very best of both worlds in performance and comfort. But it was quite limited on the performance side, being a 3.2 straight six putting out 321bhp it was already tuned as far as it could unless i spent silly money! So it went up forsale in the attempt to get the car i always a wanted a SCOOBY!

I was looking into getting a newer scoob and the 03/04 plate blob eyes were in my price range but a change in circumstances saw me plump for the Classic with some cash on top.

Well here it is my RA soon after i got it

It was great lots of mods including power fc with controller, coilovers, new forged engine, race clutch and lots lots more.

But three weeks in and a big pop, i have masses of blue smoke under accelleration some mayo in the filler cap and petrol smelling oil in the sump

Suspected piston/ring failure me thinks, and probably head gasket too! I phoned around and did some research into engine builds and replacement engines. Thank god i found this place as i was very close to buying one of the "famous" refurbed engines off the bay!! So its off to scoobyclinic to be built, not booked in yet but hoping too this week. i talked to david at Api too, he was brilliant loads of advice and ideas on what maybe happened but its 2 and half hours from me and wouldnt be practical in the future to drive back and forth. Have no idea what i want to do with the engine yet, wanna see whats in there first.

Supposedly its a closed deck and had a full rebuild within the last 3-8k milesthe rebuild included forged pistons and full acl race bearing throughout. But i fear this was a "DIY" build and not done all to well, the engine is immaculate from the top but get underneath and it just looks a bit messy few bodgey looking bits etc.. Hard to explain but hopefully you get my drift. Doesnt worry me thouugh as that will all get fixed properly at SC.

Apart from that the car is in great condition with NO rust! Paranoid about rust after owning an E36 bmw lol

Since all that happened i haven't drove the car and seen it as a chance to do a few jobs i would have just kept putting off if it was still on the road. Took the tinted lexus lights off and replaced for these

Think they are UK lights but i think they suit the look of the car so well! Also refurbed the alloys, same colour but a better job . Then went on to underseal the arches, came out like this

Rubbed down and sprayed the coilovers too after this pic did them in satin black. Also removed the dumpvalve and induction kit and currently sourcing all standard parts. Got the airbox already, the dumpvalve and resonator box are in the post.

So as it stands as of last night

Carrier bags for wheels lol. Sorry for the long post but a lot happened in my first month or so of ownership

Thanks for reading

Dan
Old 25 November 2009, 02:54 PM
carpboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome Get yourself over to typera.co.uk
Old 25 November 2009, 03:12 PM
lovinmescoob
Scooby Regular

Firstly welcome mate, sorry to hear about your problems but I'm sure they'll get sorted and then you'll be the proud owner off what looks like a great car.
Sites great for help and advice just ask, whereabouts are you??
Old 25 November 2009, 03:22 PM
scott64
Scooby Regular

welcome to scoobynet mate hope you get your problems sorted out soon
Old 25 November 2009, 03:28 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Welcome to Scoobynet Dan. Goodluck with the build (I know what it's like) and keep us posted. Lovin' the pictures so far (and BTW I'm a my96 JDM classic WRX owner). Gareth
Old 25 November 2009, 04:26 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the warm welcome and compliments guys.

Yeah seen the typra.co.uk place gonna join up tonight maybe. Is it good?

Im from South Yorkshire near Doncaster, when its running again im definately attending a few meets.

Also forgot to add, the rear spoiler is a real carbon fibre one (not just painted black) Wondering wether or not to paint it white though?? It does tie into the black and white theme though. Oh and when i bought the car it had a Genuine tommy kaira rear bumper on it (looked pants on its own) Took it off and sold it on ebay for £122 Bought a standard rear bumper for £34 i added the spats as i dont like the shape of the exhaust from the side, and they hide it a bit.

GMballistic: i take it thats the name of our shape scoobs (my96) I love the look of them pre facelift (biast lol)

Dan
Old 25 November 2009, 04:59 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome

Trending Topics

Old 25 November 2009, 05:34 PM
ross_wrx
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SN!

That car looks familiar... Did you buy it from the Lincs area?
Old 25 November 2009, 05:44 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Hi ross_wrx the guy i got it from was from lincoln, called Dan aswell. Do you know anything about it? or have you just seen it about?
Old 25 November 2009, 05:54 PM
lovinmescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DDS789
Im from South Yorkshire near Doncaster, when its running again im definately attending a few meets.
Dan
Get yourself on here too Dan Sheffield Scoobys :: Index

Meets every second Monday in month at Sheffield Subaru Service Not to far away in fact near to Meadowhall is http://www.sheffieldsubaruservice.co.uk/

Last edited by lovinmescoob; 25 November 2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 25 November 2009, 06:55 PM
miss_scooby
Scooby Regular

welcome to sn, not long been on here myself and these guys are so helpful and i like the look of your car, loving the green discs, lol. Dont be sorry for long threads, makes good reading especially with pics as a car becomes a story, sort of.
Old 25 November 2009, 07:01 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome
MY = model year, normally between sept and aug the next year, but I would look at getting decent brakes on your car, they suck abit on classics

Tony
Old 25 November 2009, 07:12 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

welcome mate ,
Old 25 November 2009, 09:09 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Lovinmescoob: will definately get myself down there once its had its build done. dont think you guys would appreciate me turning up in my N reg audi A4 TDi Tank! Though it mileage would cause some entertainment!! will get a pic of that up tomo for everyone to be amaized at!

TonyBurns: got ya with the model stuff! So mines a MY95 and i was after a MY03/04??? I understand nearly all the bmw ones so got to get learning these! They are much simpler lol. As for brakes quite happy with mine (only 2-3 weeks driving remember) Supposedly they have been upgraded to P1 brakes but was told they arent, but i dont think they are standard wrx ones, maybe sti ones if they were different.

miss_scooby: You got it in a nut shell It has certainly been a story in the "weeks" of ownership so far!! Ha haa the green disks have been replaced for black ones now (Bin Bags ) Sounds crazy but when i put the genuine rear lights on (although tinted) It transformed the whole car, everything looked right if ya get me and now i think it looks ace!

Thanks again everyone for the welcomes
Old 25 November 2009, 09:55 PM
chris270181
Scooby Regular

welcome. Mine blew up day after i bought it. Its still in the garage 3 months on
Old 25 November 2009, 10:07 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

chris270181: Not good, what happened to yours? Makes you feel a mug, like youve been had by the previous owner. I dont as my symptoms came about in 20 min of driving no dodgey noises until a pop then my scoob turned into a blue fog machine
Old 25 November 2009, 10:20 PM
ross_wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi Dan,

Just seen it about mate at the top end of Lincoln. Thought it looked very tidy don't actually know the car.
Old 25 November 2009, 10:42 PM
chris270181
Scooby Regular

bought it as little project cosmetically rough all round high miles too but when i looked at it. It seemed to run really well no smoke bangs or rattles loads and loads of receipts and loads of japenese history. Thought i was on to a winner any ways got around 200miles drive time sensible not really pushing it. Then on the way to work with around 2/econds notice the temp maxed out and it cut out. white steam belowed from the vents and a nice pool of oily water all over the road got it towed to the garage where i work and we found the headgasket had gone. Anyway funds were/are a little tight so we opted for the replacement engine route found a good one 31k and opted for a full respray.

Just waiting on the oil return pipe so the engine can go back in.
Also had new clutch and flywheel sprigott bearing timing belt air filter front barkes all new hoses and new oil pipes new rad and header tank had recentlly been fitted before i bought the car. So perhaps the previous owner had been chasing an overheating fault?
Old 25 November 2009, 11:38 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

ross_wrx: thats good thought you may have been ready to tell me something bad lol. It is a good one though thanks minus the problems!

chris270181: Bad luck with that. I looked into second hand engines but the idea that it could pop again put me off. When i first got the car the thought of a rebuild scared the life out of me, but really its the best thing to do as you know whats in the engine and what your engine can take.

Dan
Old 26 November 2009, 02:56 PM
scixer6r
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the club,hope you get sorted soon.Least no f****r will be able to nick it with no wheels.lmhao
Old 26 November 2009, 03:08 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

welcome to the madhouse!

nice underseal job!

Adam here from scoobyclinic give us a call when you are coming down and I'll get the tea on.

Ta

Ads
Old 26 November 2009, 04:41 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DDS789
GMballistic: i take it thats the name of our shape scoobs (my96) I love the look of them pre facelift (biast lol)

Dan
Hi Dan, as Tony said "my" = model year
Our Subarus are called "classics" because they are IMO Yours like mine has the earlier pre-facelift (version 1-2/my92-97) 3 slat style front bumper (there are other differences)....later classics face lift (version 3-5?6/my98-2000) have a 2 slat style bumper (aswell as other differences).
Then theres the "Newage" Subarus....Bug eye/Round eye/Frog eye my01-02, Blob eye/Peanut eye my03-05, Hawk eye my06-07 and the new hatchback my08 onwards.
Think I'm correct on that
Thats a lovely carbon spoiler BTW. I'd leave it as it is because it suits your car nicely IMO. Don't know if you know of these sites but here some more info;

Which Car is a WRX STi

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Scoobypedia / Scoobypedia

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...w-updated.html

Gareth
Old 26 November 2009, 06:08 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

GMballistic: Thanks for that info and the links, defo makes sense now and is much easier than the bmw model/year marks. Yeah i like the pre facelifts most too, but the face lift interiors are way better. Yeah i agree with you on the spoiler, it does tie in nicely with the wheels and the RA door handles and mirrors.

scixer6r: Saves me buying locking wheels nuts, bit time consuming though

specialx: Ads cheers for the invite, ill be calling you on Monday to organise it, if you didnt know i was down at your place just over a month ago. Underseal took ages, then i went a bit mad and undersealed all sorts lol.

Thanks for the welcomes again
Old 26 November 2009, 06:18 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Got a couple more pics for you all

Heres the A4 TDi tank thats been my run around check out its mileage

Standard airbox in, only trial fitted havent connected it all up as its all coming back out soon enough!

And my just about finished arches with painted suspension, calipers and disks all matt black heat paint. (beware rusty disks lol)

Hope you like
Old 26 November 2009, 08:36 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Getting there Dan
Old 26 November 2009, 08:43 PM
miss_scooby
Scooby Regular

looking much better, keep up the good work and keep the story coming
Old 01 December 2009, 07:46 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Small update, car is now booked in at Scooby Clinic! Its being picked up on friday (maybe monday)

Got the wheels back on today, and its off the axle stands. All the painted stuff ties in now as you can see here

Leaving the centres off as it give the wheels a meaner look

Also i bought a new silicone intercooler pipe as the old one had been trimmed a bit too short for the standard dumpvalve to fit, and was a bit tatty. Any how i had to take the intercooler off and look what i found!!

Shows how bad the piston rings must be. Oh well fixed soon