Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Finally fitted the Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2008, 01:15 AM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally fitted the Hybrid

Finally got round to getting this done on Monday, and then managed to wash it today cos it was filthy after the initial work and driving back. Was looking quite nice 2nite but the camera isn't the best on my Nokia but I'm sure you get the idea.

Hasn't been mapped yet so no reports as of yet about power etc, so I'm trotting along on the lowest boost setting (0.80) until its ready. The HKS dump valve does however sound alot more lively which is nice and I was quite happy that I didn't need the extra piece of pipe work for the dump valve as there was already a bit there.

Still loads more to do
Old 21 August 2008, 01:53 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

the ****, howd u get it mounted with the bumper bar in lol

barsteward to fit, but worth it
Old 21 August 2008, 02:18 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nice mate, would have thought you needed to hack most of the front bumper off to fit the front mount, good job mate
wiley
Old 21 August 2008, 04:11 AM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

Looks sweet, definetly worth the effort. Very tidy scoob you got here
Old 21 August 2008, 08:35 AM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Good job
Old 21 August 2008, 09:12 AM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Did you have to cut away the back of the fog light housing ?. I see you got the PIAAs mounted OK !
Old 21 August 2008, 11:19 AM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

Wrighty, yeh my mechanic said it was a tight fit. A few of the bits like the alarm etc needed to be moved first but once that was done it was`nt too bad.

Wiley, alot of the bumper was cut off. The plastic bits on the sides went to allow access for the pipe work. The middle was hacked away at, and a little bit of the front splitter was cut. Was watching them do it and its a case of keep cutting small bits till it fits. Only down side of it is that the sides of the bumper are pulling in a bit because theres no support there.

Thanks simb, bobbiman

Keith, the PIAA`s were rescued. We were doubting that they would get back in because the housing needed to be cut in to as they were`nt allowing room for the pipes. But little bits of it were cut and and result was im short one bolt on the housings, so not a bad result. These wil probably go eventually once I get hold of a facelift bumper, may go for a P1 type front end, or just replace with STI covers
Old 21 August 2008, 11:33 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Is it central?
Old 21 August 2008, 12:54 PM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

cookstar, no its not as central as maybe you would like it If your facing the car, it is a little bit more to the left, maybe by about a centimeter or two but IMO as long as the intercooler is getting all the air to it, Im happy. Also, for what I paid to get it done, Im not going to complain
Old 21 August 2008, 03:42 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Slick81

Keith, the PIAA`s were rescued. We were doubting that they would get back in because the housing needed to be cut in to as they were`nt allowing room for the pipes. But little bits of it were cut and and result was im short one bolt on the housings, so not a bad result. These wil probably go eventually once I get hold of a facelift bumper, may go for a P1 type front end, or just replace with STI covers
Right - figured that you must have had to do something. I just fiited a Hybrid to my MY98 Classic and dropped the FMIC by 30mm to get around the issue of cutting the back of the fog lamp brackets - does mean that the FMIC shows below the bumper and I will be fitting a spoiler to cover that. I also have PIAAs and I want to keep them.
Old 21 August 2008, 03:55 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Slick81: Looks Glad you like the FMIC
Old 21 August 2008, 05:01 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

what is the reason for it not being central? is it to do with pipework and fitment or is it down to incorrect fixings on car or front mount??
Old 21 August 2008, 08:33 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

think it was prob measured wrong at a guess
Old 21 August 2008, 08:43 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaOne
think it was prob measured wrong at a guess
Would be an easy fix !
Old 21 August 2008, 10:32 PM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

Keith, we did touch on the idea of bringing it down a bit, but was concerned that it mite start scraping when I decide to lower the car a bit, and the area I live is kinda loaded with speed ramps

wrxsti280, Reason for it not being central is most likely a slight error on the measurements. But Im not complaining, my mechanic done me a favour by fitting it for me, and didnt actualy start untill late because of other commitments. It could even be that this bumper has gone out of shape a bit whilst being cut? When the new bumper goes on, Im going to have mesh at the front so probably won`t be noticable. But as Keith says, its an easy fix.

Thanks BOB, Top bit of kit and top marks for you!!!
Old 21 August 2008, 10:44 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Keith, we did touch on the idea of bringing it down a bit, but was concerned that it mite start scraping when I decide to lower the car a bit, and the area I live is kinda loaded with speed ramps
Yep - I was also concerned about the risk of scraping and the spoiler will get it first

I may live to regret it and so it would be easy to raise it if I cut away the back of the fog light brackets. We'll see .
Old 22 August 2008, 11:36 AM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

Keith, might be an idea to get rid of the lights and get hold of a P1 front end. My mates done it on his Type R and looks very good, and white too Plus the lights that he used are alot brighter than the spot lamps. I`ll probably do the same or put STI covers. I think I`v used my lamps once sice Iv had my car
Old 22 August 2008, 01:09 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Keith, might be an idea to get rid of the lights and get hold of a P1 front end. My mates done it on his Type R and looks very good, and white too Plus the lights that he used are alot brighter than the spot lamps. I`ll probably do the same or put STI covers. I think I`v used my lamps once sice Iv had my car
Don't you have the PIAA lights wired into the main beam via a relay ??. That's how mine are done and it's like daylight
Old 01 September 2008, 10:47 AM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

Keith, no I dont, never thought of that actually Just use the switch, but then I have to get out of the car and take the covers off. I prefer the look with the covers on there IMO. Relay sounds like a good idea, at least I`ll use them then.
Old 01 September 2008, 11:01 AM
New_scooby_04

Looking good mate, don't worry about it being a bit off centre.

It is a VERY tight fit, especially if you retain the std battery! If you've not had the pipes wrapped, you may notice a few odd sounds when the car is cold, just metal pipes vibrating against other metal in the engine bay. You can resolve this by getting padded stickers from the stationers and using them as spacers between any offending sections. Hot pipe against heatshield and inner wing cutting are two likely culprits!

The best thing about the hybrid is the way they perform: fit and forget!

Ns04
Old 02 September 2008, 12:43 PM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

Ns04, thanks mate. My mechanic did say it was a very tight fit. The heat shield from the turbo has been removed as it was knocking against the pipe work at first. I am a little bit concerned about that in regards to the heat generated from the turbo but if anyone is running similar with no problems then ill leave it?

Didnt have to cut the wing which was a surprise, was just fed straight throught the gap that was already there. Ill have to get hold of those padded stickers though as the pipe nearest the battery is touching the bonnet when closed and the padding is sort of getting stuck to it and leaving a little mess on my shiny pipes

Quick question, has anybody removed the padding which is fixed to the top of the bonnet and is it of any benefit?