Notices

Battery not holding charge

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2013, 07:14 AM
StallionR
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery not holding charge

Hi there, I am looking for some help with my 05 blobeye wrx.

My battery seems to be dead after a weekend of not using the car, it happened before a couple of months back and I got a new battery. Everything was fine until this (monday) morning. The car was last used on friday then parked up as normal.

When I unlocked the car the indicators gave a duller flash and when I opened the door the alarm went off. The car wouldn't respond to the key fob and so I had to disconnect the battery to stop it.

I am at a loss, why would a new battery lose its charge so quickly over a short period of time? There is no indication that the alternator is dying and when it runs it all seems fine. I have read elsewhere about these smart alternators rhat only charge when the lights are on, is it really that simple?

Please help, I am starting to starting to lose patience and need the car for work.
Old 09 December 2013, 07:17 AM
ScoobP1
Scooby Regular

How old is the battery? Could just be at the end of its life.

Was there anything left on over the weekend?
Old 09 December 2013, 07:27 AM
StallionR
Scooby Newbie

Battery is almost new. Got it less than two months ago and was a more expensive one for winter starts. I always make sure nothing is left on. The car even has its original radio in it so nothing aftermarket there.
Old 09 December 2013, 07:50 AM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

Hi fella
My 05 blob does have a similar problem. My battery will last about a week tops(during winter maybe 5- days). I have a new-ish battery. I don't have a tracker or a really fancy alarm/radio a part from a Cobra. I have got the altenator checked out -all good there.
Also the altenator does need a load to wake it up, ie side lights or heater, it won't charge without it. This is Subaru's way reducing the emissions by 0.000001% ;-)
So I don't really know why Impreza's drain batteries........
Phil
Old 09 December 2013, 07:51 AM
StallionR
Scooby Newbie

Last time it did this I tried jump leads but the alarm wouldn't shut up. Same thing again, I reconnected the battery and straight away the alarm went off. Can't even use a booster pack because of this.
Old 09 December 2013, 07:53 AM
StallionR
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your reply. Need to find a way of recharging the battery. May need to take it out and give it some charge that way.
Old 09 December 2013, 10:37 AM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

No worries,
I have brought a smart battery charger called CTEK MXS 3.6V, so won't get caught out if I don't drive the car of a week or so... It's a good bit of kit.

Last edited by PhilWrx100; 09 December 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09 December 2013, 12:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Stallion: do you have, or know anyone with a multimeter?

If so, once your battery is charged, WITH ENGINE AND ALL ELECTRICAL ITEMS SWITCHED OFF, disconnect the +ve lead, then place the multimeter probes between the lead and battery +ve, with multimter set to read DC amps.

DO NOT START ENGINE!!!

You should see a reading if it's discharging, let us know what it is?

And if it's more than 0.01A, I'd book it into a DECENT auto electrician, NOT a Scoob dealer.
Old 09 December 2013, 04:03 PM
StallionR
Scooby Newbie

Will try to find a mate with a multimeter and test it.

One thing I noticed this morning in my hurry to silence the alarm was that the negative terminal connection was easily removed without unscrewing the bolts. On refitting I have made sure to push it further down so that it is very tight. Hoping that may have something to do with it however I am away out a long drive with lights and heating on. Battery charged no problems in my house.
Old 09 December 2013, 04:40 PM
wrx5343
Scooby Regular

Sounds like something is staying on and draining the battery. Or you have a fault with the charging circuit. Only way to find out what is going on will be a multimeter...........they are dirt cheap
Old 09 December 2013, 05:25 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StallionR
Will try to find a mate with a multimeter and test it.

One thing I noticed this morning in my hurry to silence the alarm was that the negative terminal connection was easily removed without unscrewing the bolts. On refitting I have made sure to push it further down so that it is very tight. Hoping that may have something to do with it however I am away out a long drive with lights and heating on. Battery charged no problems in my house.
Bad earths can be a problem and yes they have smart alternators (more like stupid alternators lol). But my 04 blob had this problem,its called a parasitic drain. Mine was down to an aftermarket stereo draining battery when car was off (no amps etc were still on) was internal problem in head unit. This also strangley happened to a corsa I bought for cheap because it had battery drain problem,aswell as a girlfriends standard vw polo stereo draining her car too! You need to do an amp draw test with multi metre. Remove earth cable off battery and with metre on correct setting make the circuit between earth cable & battery terminal to distinguish whether you have a drain. If so then go to fuses under bonnet and again do a draw test on each curcuit by removing one fuse at time and putting negative lead on bodywork and positive where fuse goes checking for high readings and whatever one is high is the circuit with the problem. If you don't want to go through all this then just try disconnecting stereo for a week or so and see if it stops problem. Saying this,check glovebox and boot lights first or even a boost gauge (If you have one) light wired to a permanent live