Notices

High Beams instead of main beam

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2007, 04:47 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Beams instead of main beam

I've got a my97 Impreza, and when I switch to the mainbeam I get a high beam. The lights used to work perfectly before I stopped using her 2 months ago. I also have left the battery disconnected for 2 weeks so all teh electronics can get reseted but still no luck.

Any ideas?
Old 04 March 2007, 01:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ryn004
I've got a my97 Impreza, and when I switch to the mainbeam I get a high beam. The lights used to work perfectly before I stopped using her 2 months ago. I also have left the battery disconnected for 2 weeks so all teh electronics can get reseted but still no luck.

Any ideas?
Can you try and be clearer what the problem is?

Firstly, what car is it? What model year etc?

Secondly, the two types of beam are called "Dip" and Mainbeam" in the UK. The Americans use "High beam" for "Mainbeam". UK dips are for normal driving so as not to dazzle others. Main beams are for when there is no-one else about.

So what, exactly, is yours doing wrong?

Alcazar
Old 04 March 2007, 10:09 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Its a 1997 Subaru Impreza WRX (facelift japanese import). When I swtich the lights to dip I get the mainbeam, that is i get the mainbeam display on the dash and the mainbeam on. When I switch to mainbeam, obviously the light stays on mainbeam.
I'm thinking its either a relay, or the switch. But before I go searching for where the relay is on the car, or dismantling the switch, I'd liek to see if this has happened to anyone.

Thanks in advanced...Alcazar
Old 04 March 2007, 11:16 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

The classic has H4 bulbs I believe? So dip and main in the same bulb. You select dip and the dip filament lights, you select main and the main beam filament lights and the dip beam one goes off.

The critical thing I thinks is whether dip is going off or not. If it is then the problem could be a relay jamming on (but then wouldn't it stay on even when the lights are switched off altogether?) If it isn't then I think it's likely to be the dip / main switch on the column having it's main beam contacts burnt together.

Problem is it'll be very difficult to see which filament is lit in the headlight as they're so close together. Do you have a spare bulb? You can pull the plug off one of the bulbs and plug the spare in under the bonnet where you can see it closely. The dip beam filament is the front one, the one under the metal shield, the main beam is the one on it's own with no shields. Try dip and main and see which filaments are alight on each.

Report back and we'll make more random observations, sorry in depth analyses on what could be wrong.
Old 05 March 2007, 05:55 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

first thing to check is for a 12 volt feed at the main beam relay on the coil
if there is feed then i would suspect the switch at fault

if there is no feed then it could be a relay fault or wiring problem,but as you said it was ok before i would say the relay is knackered

good luck hope you get it sorted soon
Old 05 March 2007, 09:14 PM
v8scooby
Scooby Newbie

it could be a duff bulb. if the fillament from dip has blown and is now making contact with the main beam fillament then it would light the full beam and back feed the tell tail lamp on the dash too.

try disconecting the plugs on both the bulbs and see if your blue tell tail lamp still comes on with the dip and main. if it does its a switch / relay issue. if it dosent then one of the bulbs are duff. replace them both for peace of mind
George
Old 06 March 2007, 08:42 AM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the feedback, i'll check it out next friday. (Saving up some money on petrol by Using the Civic for everyday!)

The relays are in the fusebox in engine bay right?
Old 12 March 2007, 12:11 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Spent half a day to get it sorted, well part of it. After checking all the wiring, relays and switches I noticed that the rear fog switch was causing the problem. Since its an aftermarket wiring job, I figured I buy the proper switch and fix it to the factory harness - one of these days!

Thanks for the support!