Notices

Spotlight mounting brackets.

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2006, 10:26 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spotlight mounting brackets.

Where can I get '2-up 2-down' type brackets for mounting spotlights to the front of a MY02 bugeye? Would slightly impeding airflow through the grille be significant?

Alternatively is there a HID driving light kit to replace the foglights?
Old 06 February 2006, 10:37 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

AFAIK, no-one now makes "two-up, two-down" type brackets, at least I've never seen one on an Impreza...........or any modern day rally car, for that matter.

Could be summat to do with not putting stuff on the front that could injure a pedestrian?

Have you thought of pods? You can get some that fit either side of the scoop on the bonnet front, and they will take four halogen, or HID lights. You can also make them quick release, so that when they WEREN'T in place, all you'd see would be a few holes with stainless collars, on the bonnet. Quite fancy it meself, but wifey vetoed it

I THINK an HID driving light kit, using Hella lights is available from Prodrive, via dealers. There is certainly a halogen version out there.
The alternative is the Hella 90mm HID, (or halogen), units as fitted to the P1. I'm pretty sure the brackets, also available from your dealer, will fit your car. All you'd have to do would be to source some "covers" with the 90mm hole in them.

Alcazar
Old 06 February 2006, 12:41 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Pods would never be allowed.

The other thing I've thought is to cut holes in the trim section between the headlight (OEM) and the grille, and fit lights there. But there isn't much room in front of the radiator Do you know if anyone has done this?
Old 06 February 2006, 03:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Pods would never be allowed.

The other thing I've thought is to cut holes in the trim section between the headlight (OEM) and the grille, and fit lights there. But there isn't much room in front of the radiator Do you know if anyone has done this?
Never seen it on here.

Have you looked into the availability of driving lights? I have Morettes (it's a classic) and Hella HID driving lights and they are nothing short of phenomenal!

Sadly, they were from the now defunct Scoobysport, but could be DIY'ed with a little thought, as the light units are still available........

Name:  car_lights.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  5.4 KB

Alcazar
Old 07 February 2006, 01:39 AM
tooocool49723
Scooby Newbie

Name:  DSC_2632.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  77.2 KB

On our side of the pond there are many options as far as more lighting goes. However, i'm not too sure on the rules and regulations regarding auxiliary lighting over there. Here's a VERY long thread to give you a few ideas on what is available in the world of aux. lighting for scoobs:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...7&page=1&pp=20

On the bugeye scoobs, it's even easier, as the radiator supports are located an equal distance apart from the center of the car, which means they are good supports for bracketry that can go through the grill openings, without any cutting. Another option would be to get some kartboy mounts (kartboy.com) to replace the stock fog lights with some Hella FF1000's, 500's or even some PIAA 520's.

Also, i've seen pictures of projector lights mounted in the grill like what your talking about (between the opening for the rad. and the headlights) Here's a picture of them on, but I cant seem to find a picture without the lights being on:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...t#post10823608

My personal setup:

Last edited by tooocool49723; 07 February 2006 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07 February 2006, 10:37 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

Looks quite good..........do your motoring laws allow the fitting of something that could injure a pedestrian? Or do people just turn a blind eye?

Alcazar
Old 07 February 2006, 11:12 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

That looks more like it. Your second photo is the sort of thing that I was thinking of.

Are those lighting bars generally self-fabricated, or are similar things available commercially in the US? I have a friend in FL who could purchase and post as a gift
Old 07 February 2006, 10:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by speedking
That looks more like it. Your second photo is the sort of thing that I was thinking of.

Are those lighting bars generally self-fabricated, or are similar things available commercially in the US? I have a friend in FL who could purchase and post as a gift
Bur be careful: I'd be almost certain it'd fail it's MoT with one on, even without the lights, and you might even get prosecuted.

Worth looking into b4 you spend any dosh?

Alcazar
Old 08 February 2006, 12:00 AM
tooocool49723
Scooby Newbie

Most lightbars are home-made. You can get one from a few different vendors though.

Rallyinnovations.com has a lightbar for everything from the GC to the 06's.
They also have a skidguard that attaches to the front, but lower They have this for all years of impreza as well:

As far as crash standards go, the police don't really care. I'm sure that some law somewhere prohibits it, but I have yet to hear of anyone having any trouble because of a lightbar. Pedestrian safety has yet to be written into our vehicle codes.

Honestly, pedestrian safety is a joke over here. We allow trucks to be lifted so high that you need an elevator to get into them, and then allow the owner to put on an a home made steel metal bumper thick enough to be bullet proof. Then we allow people to run around without bumpers, so long as they have a bumper beam of some sort, even if it's just a 2x4 (piece of wood). Granted, these are extreme cases, but I have personally seen both in the very small town that I live in (less than 20,000 people live in my town).

If I were you, i'd check local laws before making something like this, as i'm sure the laws are much more strict over there.

On the other hand, look at it this way, if you replace the stock fogs for ones that are made of thicker glass, tecnically your replacing a crash structure, as the lights were tested as part of the car which was crashed. Following this, any headlights (morettes) that you swap for your stockers would also violate crash standards. Also, a front lip would add strength to the bumper, violating crash standards. It all depends on how strict the local police are.

Last edited by tooocool49723; 08 February 2006 at 12:07 AM.