Notices

spotlights

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2005, 07:30 PM
hillywrc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spotlights

anyone got there spots wired to there lights so they flash or come on with the high beam and if so how you go about doing it.
Old 27 March 2005, 09:32 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Yes.

What car do you have? What spots have you got? Are they replacing fog lights or additional?
Old 27 March 2005, 04:25 PM
hillywrc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
Yes.

What car do you have? What spots have you got? Are they replacing fog lights or additional?
it`s a 97 turbo std spots i wont them to flash the same time as my main one`s.
Old 28 March 2005, 10:49 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

If you have to ask, there's a fair chance you'll get it wrong

Do you want them to come on with the main beam only, or do you still want them to be switched as fogs too ?

They'll be fairly useless as main beam lights, you should really swap them for a set of driving lights - Cibies or PIAA's - there are kits available that include all the wiring etc.
Old 28 March 2005, 05:44 PM
hillywrc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alistair
If you have to ask, there's a fair chance you'll get it wrong

Do you want them to come on with the main beam only, or do you still want them to be switched as fogs too ?

They'll be fairly useless as main beam lights, you should really swap them for a set of driving lights - Cibies or PIAA's - there are kits available that include all the wiring etc.
i just wont them to come on with the main beam and when i flash someone cos i dont rly use them as spots so it seem a waste to not use them for something.i just thought there might be away to connect them to the main beam.
Old 28 March 2005, 06:32 PM
hillywrc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hillywrc
i just wont them to come on with the main beam and when i flash someone cos i dont rly use them as spots so it seem a waste to not use them for something.i just thought there might be away to connect them to the main beam.
i only wont them to come on when i use my high beam and when i flash not with my main beam dont wanna drive around with them on.
Old 29 March 2005, 06:52 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Your existing fogs will have 2 connections - 1 to earth and one to the switched live feed - disconnect the switched live feed.

Find the main beam live feed - from the back of the headlight - tap into it and run a wire to one side of a relay coil - the other side of the coil goes to earth.

Take a line from the positive side of the battery - through a 15 amp fuse - to one side of the relay switched contact - run the other side of the swithced contact to the fog lights.

Job done.

If that doesn't make sense, then don't attempt it yourself - you are really likely to cause some damage !
Old 29 March 2005, 06:55 PM
hillywrc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alistair
Your existing fogs will have 2 connections - 1 to earth and one to the switched live feed - disconnect the switched live feed.

Find the main beam live feed - from the back of the headlight - tap into it and run a wire to one side of a relay coil - the other side of the coil goes to earth.

Take a line from the positive side of the battery - through a 15 amp fuse - to one side of the relay switched contact - run the other side of the swithced contact to the fog lights.

Job done.

If that doesn't make sense, then don't attempt it yourself - you are really likely to cause some damage !
thanks for that cheers
Old 30 March 2005, 04:31 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> Find the main beam live feed - from the back of the headlight - tap into it
> and run a wire to one side of a relay coil - the other side of the coil goes
> to earth.

Don't know about classics but this will not work with the MY01 on cars. The main beam is wired dead odd. There's constant 12V on one side of the main beam. The other side has 12V on it as well when the lights are off (12V both sides so no volts across it so it's off), but the second wire gores to earth when you select high beam so the light comes on.

If you follow the suggestions above the fo lights will either be on all the time or never.

Best bet is to wire the relay coil in parallel with the main beam bulb, ie take wires from both sides of the main beam bulb and take them to the 85 and 86 terminals on the relay.