Notices

Spotlights in STi7 Prodrive??

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2002, 12:19 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone fitted spotlights (ideally Healla 1000ff) on a Sti7 Prodrive?. Before i pay Subaru's price for a set of new covers with holes in i may as try to modify the ones i have, i have seen the pictures of the wr blue car on here with the small foglights but want larger driving light.

simon
Old 19 September 2002, 01:49 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

The hugely expensive covers from Subaru fit the standard foglights which taper in two planes (difficult to explain but easy when you look at the lights....) to follow the profile of the front of the car. They have a recessed hole with an internal flange which fits around the standard foglight.

Any spotlight will have a flat front (rather than tapered) and will therefore stick thro the covers. The modified covers with holes will not therefore fit without more modifications.

Scoobysport are making some covers which should fit but these will not be ready for a few weeks yet.
Old 19 September 2002, 03:00 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Wink

"Scoobysport are making some covers which should fit but these will not be ready for a few weeks yet"

Chelspeed, spoken to ScoobySport, nothing happened on this yet. Looks like i'm buying a new hole saw.

simon
Old 19 September 2002, 04:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

If those Hella 1000FF's come as a Prodrive kit, I'd avoid 'em like the plague!
Light output and spread are superb. Setting up is a b@st@rd, you have to demount the whole light unit to make minute adjustments, and when you have to change a bulb, all the settings will be lost and you'll have to start again!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Also, it's v. difficult to stop 'em vibrating[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
The kit was designed by someone who's never tried to set up a pair of driving lights, IMHO[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 19 September 2002, 05:04 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

When you've done the hole saw thing be sure to send pickies. I'm interested in doing this but too chicken to be first....
Old 19 September 2002, 06:42 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Cool

alcazar, had the Hella HID's on my MY01, fitted and supplied by ScoobySport, never had any problems.

Chelspeed, seeing as your so close you can see them for real.

simon
Old 19 September 2002, 10:16 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I test fitted the PIAA's off my MY01 WRX a while back with some modded covers made out of cardboard with holes cut in and they looked daft - they stick out about 40mm on the outboard side and are behind the edge of the covers on the inboard side.

Hella 1000FF's may sit neater in the holes but haven't tested them yet.

Currently nagging Trouser on a regular basis to design a kit....watch this space
Old 19 September 2002, 10:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
PCB: no, not the Hella HID's from Scoobysport, they're the ones I have, and I agree, they're spot on (no pun intended).
The ones to avoid are the new Prodrive kit with Hella 1000FF HALOGEN lights. Very different, and very difficult, beasties.
Alcazar
Old 20 September 2002, 09:26 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

PCB Thanks for the offer. I had SS HID Hellas on a WRX01 but have now changed to Prodrive style STi. The question is about fitting the lights from the standard WRX under the big curvy covers on the Prodrive style STi.
Old 21 September 2002, 06:18 PM
Mantamac
Scooby Regular

Try mailing www.rallytech.co.uk to see if they can make you anything. Their carbon work is spot on.
Might work out cheaper to try a group buy!
P.S No I don't work for them. lol.

Mac
Old 22 September 2002, 05:42 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I asked Rallytec a while back. They said they had no plans - were concentrating, IIRC, on EVO bits.
Old 22 September 2002, 08:04 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

It just so happens I know someone who is about to make some carbon bits for this very purpose on a local Prodrive STi7, and he'd be up for producing more if the demand was there. The moulding will be ongoing over the next few weeks; hopefuly will get pictures up when he's done. He tells me the price will be broadly similar to most people's GRP bits. Expect it will be a month or so before the first ones are finished, but after that he'll be able to knock them off fairly quickly to order. Anyone interested, mail me and I'll pass on the info.
Old 23 September 2002, 10:06 PM
Bulletproof
Scooby Newbie

As the "bloke" being referred to by hades, I'm interested in a bit of info for these carbon covers. You'll have to excuse my scooby ignorance, I'm more into lightweight cars...

At the moment the plan is to make basic replacement covers with holes in. That said I don't think theres an aperture for the light unit to sit in (not seen behind the covers yet), so I'm thinking I could build in a deep recess for lamps to sit in.

So the question is would the spots you're talking about fit the same aperture if I use some fogs borrowed off a WRX MY02?

Old 24 September 2002, 12:19 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Nope, the standard tapered fogs will fit behind the covers OK so you just need covers with holes thro to let the light out, the spots stick thro the covers so you need holes that clear the spot light lenses.
Old 24 September 2002, 12:21 AM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Wink

Bulletproof, there is a locating area behind the Prodrive covers which i imagine is to suit Subaru supplied fog lamps, some time this week i should be fitting the Hella's, plus having the fun of cutting holes to suit in my covers, so will be able to answer a few questions (there are already wiring loom connections for again what at present i presume are fog lamps).

simon

[Edited by PCB - 9/24/2002 12:23:52 AM]
Old 24 September 2002, 09:07 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Just to clear this one up, the mounts are moulded into the plastic bumper behind the Prodrive covers to fit fogs/drive lamps, you just need a pair of the steel lamp backplates with captive nuts welded in from your local friendly Subaru dealer to be able to fit the lamps.

This bit has never been a problem, it's a) finding a drive lamp/mount slim enough that doesn't stick out of the front of the bumper, and b) making up covers with holes in.

Just cutting a hole in the standard covers isn't satisfactory because the drive lamps obviously sit parallel to the front of the car, and the covers have a curve on them so you end up with the lamp protruding on one side of the hole and recessed on the other.

Incidentally, if you want to fit fogs, you can buy covers from the Subaru STi accessories catalogue with holes already moulded in - but they are around £400 a pair

Note they do NOT fit with drive lamps for the above reasons
Old 24 September 2002, 06:42 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Rofl, I'll let Si **** his car up first, then learn from his numerous and hopefully costly mistakes
Old 24 September 2002, 08:15 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Wink

Old 04 October 2002, 09:05 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Right. I'm currently working on a cure for this.....will advise further in a few days
Old 05 October 2002, 01:15 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Got the bits this morning.....

<cue hammering, sawing and cursing from the garage>

Watch this space
Old 05 October 2002, 03:35 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Rofl, I'll let DTS **** his car up first, then learn from his numerous and hopefully costly mistakes

Old 06 October 2002, 05:21 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Well its either gone very nasty and DTS is keeping his head down or he's doing a Prodrive and keeping it under wraps until IM give him the nod.

I'm betting on the former
Old 07 October 2002, 07:54 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

LOL

I'm not giving anything away until I know it works

Plan A wasn't ideal, so i've got to resort to Plan B - which should work. It means I won't be able to pick the parts up until Saturday, so won't be able to give an update until Sunday
Old 11 October 2002, 09:51 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Got the other bits I need this afternoon.......it's my Sunday morning job.....
Old 14 October 2002, 09:11 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Anything to report????
Old 14 October 2002, 10:29 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hehehe

All fitted, but a minor wiring issue (well, a major one actully, given that they come on with dip beam - the main beam bulb I have taken the relay trigger from has a permanent live feed!).

Thanks to Mike Wood I believe I have the cure for this, will try it tonight, and if so will reveal all tomorrow
Old 14 October 2002, 11:27 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Dave

I have a driving light wiring diagram for STi7s that I can fax you. The Subaru method is very simple but means that they come on with park lights and I'm not sure the legality of this.

Drop me a mail if you need it.
Old 14 October 2002, 01:35 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Cheers Pete
I'll see what happens tonight. I should be able to connect the in/out of the relay trigger circuit across the feed/return to the main beam bulb, rather than ground it to the chassis as is normal.
Old 14 October 2002, 02:55 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Smile

Pete

If you only use part of the wiring instructions you do indeed get the lights coming on with sidelights (as the OE fog lamps do) If you read all the instructions, there is a section which tells you exactly how to modify the loom inside the car so that they are triggered from main beam and still isloatable by using the OE fog lamp switch.

I think Dave has now sorted it in his own inimitable way though

Mike

[Edited by MikeWood - 10/14/2002 4:15:06 PM]
Old 14 October 2002, 07:16 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

I dont like having to reach down to switch off/on the front fog lights, would much prefer to wire the front lamps upto the crappy bright switch instead, like my old Renault.
A future job, once DTS have divulged his secrets

Quick Reply: Spotlights in STi7 Prodrive??