Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you need to know??
Old 10 May 2001, 07:53 AM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Question

Anybody know anything about the imobilizer that is controlled by the ignition key??
Old 10 May 2001, 01:52 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

How does it work, what circuits does it take out, what is in the ignition key???
Old 10 May 2001, 04:51 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Matt,

don't know heaps but sat with a Subaru technician when he programmed mine on my MY99. Don't know what circuit it takes out but I heard the Subaru Immobiliser wasn't thatcham cat 2 as it was deemed to let the car start before working. I've got the cat 1 alarm on mine as its a MY99 which immobilises as well.
The subaru job is a transponder immobiliser with a little computer chip in the key which sends a signal to a receiver in the car when you turn on the ignition. When the signal is received it deactivates the immobiliser.
The technician bloke said they are very tempermental and are easy to break, or stop working!!
They are very easily programmed on the MY99 cars and after but the MY98 and before were more tricky due to a different computer they plugged in (or so he said!!) to do the coding. All keys have to be done at the same time, so if you have an existing key and need a new one, they need to reprogram both in or they won't both work....

Don't know if thats the info you're after and could well have something wrong (correct me if so ) but thats my limited understanding of it.

Have you got a problem with one?

Cheers
Neil.
Old 10 May 2001, 09:23 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers Neil,

Thanks for info, much as I expected, unreliability is news to me though! Having picked up my new X-plate 2000 turbo from the dealer, I drove straight around to the local stereo/alarm shop and got an additional imob fitted. They fitted a Clifford Virtual key 2, and yes its also a transponder type...... it was then lucky dip if scooby started. I have since had it removed and guess what, no more problem!! They are now suggesting i fit a touch key type that wont interfere with the standard jap fit unit. I'm gonna give it a go!!! Any thoughts???

Ta,

Matt

Old 11 May 2001, 01:07 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i may be wrong but it thought the first transponder keys came in in 97 so if they did you use the same computer from 97 upto 01 the only difference being is the two codes needed to program the keys. as for reliability never had a problem with them.
Old 11 May 2001, 09:59 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

They didn't use the same computer all the way through, the MY99 cars had revised diagnostics and the new handset they were given was much easier to use than the pre MY99 computer - I'm only speaking from what the Subaru Technician bloke told me though!!!

Matt, sounds strange that the two different immobilisers would cause problems with each other though not improbable. IMO You would have thought they operated on different frequencies though if one was stronger than the other it may block the other signal (I'm not radio expert????) Also at a guess I would say the Clifford sent out the stronger signal. The two seperate signals way well mess each other up and cause a problem and the touch type would sort that as no radio signals would be sent by the aftermarket one.

As for the Subaru transponder keys, again the techy bloke said that they'd had loads of problems with them, chips that didn't work, wouldn't reprogram, where they hadn't sealed them properly and the chips fell out!!!!!! etc...
When I bought my MY99 at the start of March it only had one key and the dealer said they would supply another one for me, suffice to say it didn't work (wouldn't reprogram) and had to get another tried (lucky they had another as they don't normally carry the keys as stock items and they cost about 70-80 quid a pop - didn't charge me though ) and that one worked
Old 11 May 2001, 10:11 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Matt, dont do it.

The touch key ones are old technology.

I know of many companies that stopped using the virtua key for the reasons you say.

Find an autowatch dealer and have their product fitted which is also transponder operated.

Had one for oevr a year and it worked flawlessly.

Very clever piece of kit as it lets you bypass it if it is faulty by entering a code. This is done by turning on ignition ,counting flashes, turning off again etc. to enter your pin number.

Tried to it successfully once, but only to see if it worked. Never had a problem.

The key to it is proper installation of the inductive loop around the barrel.

Best place I know for security is in bradford, if you wanna go there, mail me offline, and I will give you details.

They have a few special tricks up their sleaves relating to impreza security, but I cant reveal anything!
Old 15 May 2001, 07:45 AM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

bit of a catch 22 here, the clifford dealer is using the phrase "partial refund", so to avoid any un-necessary grief I need to spend the value of the clifford at the dealer, hence the touch key type he would like to fit. Maybe I should scrap the imob for now & go for some ICE.