Notices

Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2001, 10:43 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My STi 3 has drained the battery for the 2nd time this week. First time I thought ok, its been sitting in the garage for a few days but then it did it again. I've used my gunsons electrical meter to determine that there is a very high drain on the battery with the engine switched off. I've now isolated the problem to the 15 Amp fuse under the bonnet that feeds the circuit for the interior lights, central locking and the CD player (think thats all). Anyone had any experience of similar problems before I investigate further.

Kevin.
Old 05 March 2001, 11:04 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Check that the boot light is not staying on with the boot shut.

Was the CD installed recently?

Old 06 March 2001, 07:00 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

we had a forester in and that had the same problem. we eventually traced it to the lead from the head unit to the cd player. try disconnecting it from the head unit and see.
Old 06 March 2001, 07:17 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Question

Cheers Doc,

I suspected the boot light was to blame but I've checked this - it's a wagon so its easy to check. Done some further checks and the battery draw is pulsing - until I lock the central locking, then the battery draw is steady at the highest point of the pulsing. Seen pulsing on previous cars, tends to be an analogue clock but the only one in my car is digital on the CD player.
Do the central locking solenoids stay energised when locked ? or is there something wrong. Certainly the draw on the meter is in the very excessive range, I suspect there might be something wrong with one of the solenoids - any ideas ?

Kevin.
Old 06 March 2001, 08:40 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Smile

Aha, sussed it. Its the CD player - Kenwood. Even when switched off its drawing a lot of power from the battery. Disconnecting it cures the problem completely. Its already been back at the makers after having Ribena spilled on it - daft place for the cupholders I reckon. Guess its heading back to the factory again then.

Kevin.