What fuel u using?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2008, 11:05 PM
Scobman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What fuel u using?

Where do you guys get your fuel?

I know to use super unleaded (made that mistake already.....long story) and so far I always go to Shell on knock dual c/way. Car goes fab on that but its not always convienient and at the weekend they had none in one of the stations and scared the c**p out of me as I was on vapours!

Do any of you use others like Maxol, Sainsburys etc? Any adverse effects? My car is standard other than de-cat exhaust system. No re-maps a/filters etc...............yet.lol
Old 09 January 2008, 11:38 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bp ultimate for me
Old 09 January 2008, 11:53 PM
pmacFTO
Scooby Regular

I also use V-Power (have all the Shell garages in my Sat Nav! Handy for trips round the country to meets etc) but I was told Tesco 99 is also perfectly suitable - some even find it better. More likely to find a Tesco near a city on your travels
Old 10 January 2008, 06:59 AM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pmacFTO
but I was told Tesco 99 is also perfectly suitable - some even find it better. More likely to find a Tesco near a city on your travels
Tesco dont do super in Northern Ireland (as far as I know)
I use BP ultimate
Old 10 January 2008, 08:32 AM
brocks
Scooby Regular

Neither V-Power nor Tesco 99Ron are available in NI despite many requests and petitions.......I currently run BP Ultimate, and occasionally Sainsbury's Super, with no adverses effects to date...the BP is about £110.9 and the Sainsbury's about £103.9......

If you can get up to Magherafelt, try Paul Murrays (Scubbay) from the sites garage on the Aughrim Road......he only brings small quantities of super in at a tim eand so its is always "fresh", and the difference is remarkably noticeable, he is also well priced and not putting the arm in at all, which is why on the local scoobynet runs we organise we always try and call in and put a bit of business his way........(free plug over mate LOL)

Dont rate the Maxol super, as it is WAY overpriced and Texaco will do at a push for the same reason......IMHO
Old 10 January 2008, 09:42 AM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

I run my car on whatever is available when I need petrol. if tnere is no super I just use normal unleaded and tbh haven't even noticed a diff in performance
Old 10 January 2008, 10:11 AM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

always use shell super, the texaco near me is 115.9! a litre....have always trusted the shell stuff, thought it felt a bit flat on bp but could have been a bad batch.

when i get my ecu bought and am doing the vf35 conversion i am seriously considering getting it mapped for 10% methanol, seems to be extra gains had by it up to 20+ bhp extra, u can get it from england for 50p a litre.
Old 10 January 2008, 10:26 AM
fifty
Scooby Regular

i use sainsbury,s cos its cheaper with good results u can go up to 110 points by using super unleaded and nos street racing octane boost the normal nos boost at half the price(£10) only puts it up to 101 points i dont use it all the time only for street race meets its unbelievable lololololol
Old 10 January 2008, 11:40 AM
wills 78
Scooby Regular

im generally a shell man and have done with previous vechiles like keepin it simple i do lol!... wot with prices the way they are funds are never to good.. but if im running low with present wagon and passing sainsbury i wud fill her up which is rare! she doesent seem to like supa to well maybe a slight adjustment needed ummm..
Old 10 January 2008, 11:46 AM
OLLIeRB5
Scooby Regular

mine was always ran on vpower before i bought it, and went well the whole way home.

i then filled it with sainsburys at holywood exchange and it ran like a pig for ages, then i reverted to BP or Texaco. Both are fine, but I find the texaco is the cars fave as the bp can sometimes make it appear sluggish

if i could run it on cooking ooil i bloody would, but i`ve heard too many stories about not using SUL and tbh my history has a large prodrive headed paper saying... use SUL only

I had to use £5 of unleaded the other week to allow me to hobble to a filling station in the centre of town with super.. she didnt like that one bit
Old 10 January 2008, 12:35 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

im lucky enough that mine isnt a daily driver so i never really get caught out.....u can always carry a bottle of NF octane booster for safety....but there no point adding it to raise octane points for performance unless its mapped for it.
Old 10 January 2008, 04:14 PM
BrocaghJohn
Scooby Regular

Default fuel

lucky enough to live near Pauls garage (Aughrim Rd Magherafelt ) car runs great on his Super and well priced

John
Old 10 January 2008, 04:40 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mostly use Sainsburys - Holywood exchange.

Used BP Ultimate one - car didn't like it very much I'm afraid.

Also use Shell in Bangor, but 99% of the time its good old Sainsburys.

Also being in Carrick often I used to use the Texaco garage across fro Nu Luk Wheels.
However I noticed just before Christmas that its now a BP outfit?

Shaun
Old 10 January 2008, 05:12 PM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

i use texaco all of the time there s two of the garages were i live.

i don t think i ve every used sainsburys wot price is it. the garages near me are 111.9 having a laugh
Old 10 January 2008, 05:46 PM
brocks
Scooby Regular

Shaun, yeah noticed the BP changeover from Texaco in Carrick......just in case you arent aware, the BP on the top road is actually CHEAPER than the one at Nu Luk and the one on Woodburn Rd too.....WTF is that all about?
Old 10 January 2008, 06:14 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Post Petrol....

I always use super unleaded, usually always BP Ultimate from ballymoney which is 16miles from me but is the nearest place that sells super ....I always try and fill a couple of jerry cans during the week when im out and about in the van as well, that way i can stock up at home and dont have to travel to ballymoney especially for a fill of petrol!!

Im lucky enough though also to not need the car every day, its more of a toy for the weekends

I would also agree that scubbays petrol in magherafelt is by far the best i have had in the car yet....real noticable difference over any other petrol ive tried!!
Old 10 January 2008, 08:13 PM
ulsterscooby
Scooby Regular

Location: Way out in front!!, wheels spinnin, flame spittin, turbo spoolin!!! --- Go home love, nobody cares!

Texaco or bp maxol scares me cant stand all the flickering lights on my knocklink

Although im saving an absolute fortune in fuel at the moment

LOL
Old 10 January 2008, 08:40 PM
Scobman
Scooby Regular

PS have been watchin youur progress since your fire incident. Hows the rebuild going?
Old 10 January 2008, 09:20 PM
AdamNI
Scooby Regular

I usually use Sainsburys at the hollywood exchange as it's always cheaper than anywhere else, think it was 103 or 104 earlier in the week. Never noticed the car running bad on it. I work round the corner which is handy though.
Old 10 January 2008, 09:24 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

I nip across the border at Auchnacloy and fill up at the first service station with standard unleaded. Have owned the car - 02 WRX decat and panel filter - for 3 years and when living in England always ran on unleaded.

Drive it like it's supposed to be driven and no probs so far Reckon I've saved mega loads on my fuel bill
Old 10 January 2008, 09:42 PM
mr.sheen
Scooby Regular

i always use normal unleaded with no problems at all. tried super before but seen no difference in performance, just it was more expensive
my car is far from standard and ive been warned otherwise but i,ll take my chances especially now its ran like this for so long
Old 10 January 2008, 10:56 PM
Scobman
Scooby Regular

Interesting to see some of you using ordinary unleaded. When I picked mine up in england it needed fuel badly and I filled it with normal unleaded as thats all I could get.
It ran ok but I noticed it had a slight hesitation just before boost prob around 2.5 - 3k revs. Ive now filled up (prob 100 times lol) on shell super and the hesitation has completly gone and the cars running sweet!

I think im gonna stick with the super for now, but just wanted to see what your experiences were of other brands as its a pain lookin for shell stations all the time.
Old 11 January 2008, 12:32 PM
ulsterscooby
Scooby Regular

Location: Way out in front!!, wheels spinnin, flame spittin, turbo spoolin!!! --- Go home love, nobody cares!

Originally Posted by Scobman

PS have been watchin youur progress since your fire incident. Hows the rebuild going?
Yeah coming on well

This whole fuel thing as far as I know really only concerns the JDM cars as in japan they have 100 ron fuel.
sul is a better fuel burns better therefore produces more power but a uk spec car will run just as well on normal ul

here is the best place to buy your fuel with out a shadow of doubt

Petrol Direct - petroldirect.com
Old 11 January 2008, 12:57 PM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

hit the nail on the head there, it really does only matter if your car is an import. uk cars take take normal unleaded all the time with no bother at all
Old 11 January 2008, 02:19 PM
McMnM
Scooby Regular

Default You all Might find this interesting - Shell

Some time ago I emailed Shell customer services directly about the lack of Optimax/V-Power. They replied with this!!

RE: Optimax - Northern Ireland‏
Sent: 12 December 2006 08:39:29

Dear Sir,

Shell no longer own any filling stations in Northern or the Republic of Ireland. Shell sold its Irish business to a company called Topaz Energy in September 2005. Therefore, I am unable to comment if they will seek to supply Shell Optimax, or Shell V-Power which has superseded Optimax, to petrol stations in Northern Ireland.

I hope that this is of some help.

Kind Regards

Shell Customer Services
Old 11 January 2008, 04:55 PM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

When I first got mine I was using normal unleaded and it hesitated like mad, really annoying. Dont think using sul has made any difference in performance but the car is defo a lot smoother.
Old 11 January 2008, 07:53 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Sainsburys SUL for me. Can recommend Aughrim Road filling station highly too.

When running on fuel from these two suppliers according to my SECS unit the car will quite happily advance the ignition timimng when giving her some beans. This happens less often with other brands.

Just my experience and observations over the last couple of years.
Old 13 January 2008, 03:24 AM
RallyInfo
Scooby Regular

Was advised against BP and as Shell is operated by a company in the south, I wasn't sure if I could trust their Super (although previous posts on this thread suggest otherwise). Anyway, the car was mapped with Texaco and had very good results so no complaints here!
Old 13 January 2008, 11:02 AM
dee hagan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

as with most here, its bp ultimate or sainsburys i use depending on where i am when i need it.
was up at scubbays yesterday on the way thru and have to cos his fuel is real good!

even the integra was farting and popping!