Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

PE Boost Gauge and Pod

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2000, 03:15 PM
John Phillips
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've recently fitted this gauge and pod to UK MY98. I'm totally impressed with the finished product, especially the pod. Anyone looking for a non-intrusive set-up, check it out. Although the reflection on the corner of the windscreen at night is a little off-putting.

...John
I've no connection with PE, I just wanted to pass on the info.
Old 27 February 2000, 06:48 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just browsing and saw your thread.

If the reflection gets too much then take out the bulb and colour it with a permenant marker or buy a coloured bulb from your local car spares place. That way it`ll match the rest of the dash aswell !!!!

k
Old 27 February 2000, 07:04 PM
strong
Scooby Regular

John, how easy is it to fit and how long did it take?

Is it backlit? If not, are any boost gauges backlit?

Cheers,
Paul.
Old 27 February 2000, 07:26 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Paul.

The Autometer boost gauge that we (Scooby Mania) sell is back lit. You don't even need to get your crayons out as it comes with 2 rubber socks to fit over the back lighting bulb.

(1 red & 1 Green) so that you have the choice, we also sell the a pillar pods.

Mike.
Old 28 February 2000, 08:06 AM
John Phillips
Scooby Regular

Hi Strong,

Simple to fit, it took about one hour. Yes the gauge is backlit. I wired mine into the feed to the fog light switch, so that it could be turned on and off from the light stalk. The original instructions advised wiring via the steering column, but one of our members pointed me in the easier direction. Cheers Bill.

...John
Old 28 February 2000, 08:27 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Thumbs up

Paul,

I fitted mine over the weekend. I just had the pod, and fitted a gauge I already had. It takes any standard 52mm gauge, although I did need to file the hole out a bit.

The hardest part is feeding the wires down the side of the trim. I wired it into the light stalk. I was also surprised at how well it stays in place, even though I haven't stuck it down yet. The hose, and wires, when pulled through from below, do a good job.

My only gripe would be £45 + vat, for a bit of moulded fibreglass. Apart from that, it's very good.

Mark.
Old 28 February 2000, 10:55 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

I have fitted a Lamco/Sti boost gauge this weekend without too much difficulty. The trickiest bits was getting the top of the steering column shroud off. This necessitated undoing the bolts holding the steering column on, which sounds more alarming than it was . Getting the hose through one of the gromets on the bulkhead also caused much swearing and skinned knucles .

The power feed for the backlight was taken from the switched 12v line of the rear foglight switch, so the gauge comes on with the main lighting.

For those that don't know this package, it is housed in a small rubber pod on the steering column shroud about the left stalk. I'm very pleased with the finished result, and although the gauge is small, it is mounted closer to the driver and is easily readable through the steering wheel.

Rgds,

Alex
Old 28 February 2000, 02:57 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

MOCAL do an acurate and decent gauge with an easy to read dial in psi or Bar ( white or black faced ). It also comes with as much hose as you need to fit it and is back lit. Not bad for £25

I agree £45 is too steep for the fibre glass pod but it looks better than one of those that attach to the steering column (IMHO). Last thing you want to be looking at when the car is on boost is the steering wheel,probably better to be looking out that there window in front of you eh ?

K
Old 28 February 2000, 10:09 PM
John Phillips
Scooby Regular

Red face

All this talk of backlighting. I bet you nobody has managed to wire it to the 'Bright' switch. There must be a reason for this switch somewhere??!!
Old 28 February 2000, 11:14 PM
strong
Scooby Regular

A great idea John! A use for the bright switch!

I get really annoyed by extraneous light (I 'dim' the rear view mirror constantly), so without another switch this might prove too distracting for me.