Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Changing normal dash gauges to white background

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2002, 12:10 PM
Scooby-Anthony
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just brought a uk scooby reg 95, I want to know if it is possible to change the dash to have white background gauges.
Do I have to change the complete dial/dash or what?
Where is the best place to get the new dials or backgrounds and what should I expect to pay?

Many Thanks Anthony
Old 15 July 2002, 08:59 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

If yer talking about white dials for the speedo, rev, fuel & temp then u can buy em 4 about £50 from the likes of direct car parts (although most scooby places do em & u may find cheaper & can be fitted as per how to ****e dials although please note the spindles break very easily i bust 2 rev counters using the 2 spoon technique. So if u can get a spare needle then just melt the old un off with a soldering iron or sumin.
Makes it look much better but did cost me a lot more than it shuda
Mook was i believe working on sum, in various colours that u may not need needle removal but i dunno how far he got with that
Good luck it does help the drab interior no end & even with 2 broken rev counters it is still relatively cheap as mods go & i can send list of breakers if it goes **** shaped
Si
Old 15 July 2002, 09:00 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

OK i cant spell white lol
Si
Old 16 July 2002, 08:20 AM
Scooby-Anthony
Scooby Regular

THanks for the information, thats a real help. Having seen whats involved Im not sure its something I would undertake myself. Do you know of anywhere (ideally close to Watford, Hertfordshire) That would be able to do this for me.

Thanks again
Anthony
Old 16 July 2002, 11:13 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Be careful getting this done without a definite price going in. I had it done and was given a rough cost. Garage had loads of probs(although they had done it before) and it ended up costing a fortune on labour!!
Alas
Old 16 July 2002, 07:01 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

cant c how it wood b worth paying sum1 else 2 do it as if u were 2 buy a spare rev counter b4 hand then melt needle off the dial & stick white dials on then all uve spent is £50 for dials & £50 for rev counter bits & i guess u'd get charged a shed load more than that in labour with no guarantees since as a scooby dealer said 2 me they're designed 2 break so a pro wood have no better luck & many people have said on here they had no trouble with the 2 spoon technique so u may get lucky & not even need a spare rev thingy. So other than the actual workings breaking when removing old dials there really isn't anything too tricky although i can sympathise with yer lack of confidence as i'm a numpty but the bottom line is the only thing that's at risk is still going to be whoevers doing it it's more chance than skill hence my advice of melt old needle off so no stress on spindle.
Either way it does gr8ly improve the drab interior & not only did it only cost less than £150 (wot with 2 stuffed rev counters) which is relatively cheap 4 a scoob mod but it has ment i have an impressive list of breakers, more confidence around da car but i hasten 2 add not so much as i'm guna b putting performance mods on meself!!!!
Good luck & it is boss
Si
PS u may wana ask mookester@yahoo.com how his easy on dials went
Old 27 July 2002, 12:56 AM
nomad
Scooby Regular

we supply electro luminescence dials (change colour) for £120 inc delivery and vat. talk to st albans car clinic for fitting, you dont have to remove the needles when fiting our dials, they may seem expensive but compared to normal white dials there is no comparison, ask anyone who has a set fitted. thanks nomad
Old 30 July 2002, 11:44 PM
hawk
Scooby Regular

nomad i bought these dials from u oohh a couple of months ago still havent had the time or the courage to fit them..could u give me the details of this garage plse
Old 31 July 2002, 09:33 AM
Scooby-Anthony
Scooby Regular

Nomad
Do you have any pics of this dials or somewhere on the web where I can see them?
Old 01 August 2002, 04:43 PM
Scooby-Anthony
Scooby Regular

Hawk if you decide not to have them fitted I am be interested in them if they will fit MY95 UK.

Anthony
Old 01 August 2002, 10:15 PM
nomad
Scooby Regular

hi hawk the only reason i mentioned st albans car clinic was because the other guy lives at watford so he's not far from st albans, i notice you are from leics, i could get the guy in nottingham to fit them, (he fitted my friends dials in his scooby). took about an hour from start to finish. cheers nomad
Old 02 August 2002, 07:19 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hawk y don't u kum 2 the next cov area meet as is being worked on in cov meets r attended by the finest in the land lol. & i can run u thru the requirements if u like
Si
Old 02 August 2002, 10:39 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Anthony - take a look at the following thread - it contains a set of white dials I did to match the Autometer Phantom gauges the owner has. The complete easy fit setup has now been sorted so they can be done without taking needles off

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...ThreadID=90847
Old 03 August 2002, 03:51 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Question

Mook

Does that mean you have white dial kits that will fit over the needles on all 4 gauges?
And if so is it only on Pre 97 cars. Guess what mines a 97. Let me know.
Alasdair
Old 03 August 2002, 08:39 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Alas, it can be done on the pre '97 symetrical style dash due to the fact it has some toplighting present for the needles, which does away with the need to backlight the dials, which in turn does away with the need to remove the original faces

The post '97 non-symetrical dials are only backlit, which means the old faces need removing. I'm working on a kit which can achieve this without removing the needles, but it means cutting out the old faces, so it's a no going back decision on those. They have a wide needle hub which sit over a retention ring that holds the dials in place. This can be carefully cut out leaving the ring in place allowing the new faces to lay over the top. They can then be made with different colour filters to allow for different backlighting, and our development of 'invisible til lit' warning symbols means you wont have the ugly black windows at the base of the main dials, leaving them a true white, or cream, or silver, or yellow, or whatever, circle

Hope that helps
Old 04 August 2002, 01:14 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Sounds great. Let us know when up & running. I'd be interested.
Alasdair
Old 04 August 2002, 11:16 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Will do, mate